Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
High-side crash
This is the name for the type of crash where the motorcycle over-balances, flinging the rider off by pivoting around the tires. It usually happens in turns, or as the final phase of a tank-slapper. Crashes of this type commonly leave the rider injured or dead, due to the impact of hitting the ground after being flung off.

Low-side crash
This relatively benign crash occurs when the tires lose traction in a turn, and the motorcycle slides away from the rider. Assuming the rider is wearing protective gear and doesn't hit anything solid, there's an excellent chance of getting up completely unharmed from a low-side. The motorcycle will usually suffer abrasion damage, such as scratches on the fairing, or a broken turn signal or hand lever. This damage is commonly minor enough that the bike can be ridden safely afterward.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
high side is to skydiving without a parachute
as
low side is to sliding in to home plate

or what moe said lol

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Highside- Occurring in a curve which may be caused by a locked wheel due to excessive braking or more commonly by applying too much throttle when exiting a corner causing the rear tire to lose traction.

lowside- Once a tire slips in a curve, it will move outwards under the motorcycle and cause the bike to lay down in the direction the driver is already leaning to counteract the centrifugal force, this can lead to a lowside accident.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
My physics professor just appeared and said, "There is no such thing as the centrifugal force." Hahaha sorry.
James06CBR said:
Highside- Occurring in a curve which may be caused by a locked wheel due to excessive braking or more commonly by applying too much throttle when exiting a corner causing the rear tire to lose traction.

lowside- Once a tire slips in a curve, it will move outwards under the motorcycle and cause the bike to lay down in the direction the driver is already leaning to counteract the centrifugal force, this can lead to a lowside accident.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
I almost lowsided into a highside once. Going to hot into a freeway onramp, rear starts to slip...really really far out, and then somehow i got it back and all of a sudden it tried throwing me off the other side. Injured my knee REALLY bad. Very scary.

·
Registered
196 Posts
then there's the "babeslayerside" which is when you have no clue what happen'd you just ended up on your butt but with a broken finger and a messed up bike....those are always a good time :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Highside = broken collar bone, bruised ribs.

Lowside = sore knee, and bruised ego.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Result of a lowsite that turned into a highside...
Gave to much gas on cold tires after the apex, rear spun up and stepped out by a foot or so... as i corrected my body to try and stay up i chopped the throttle off, tire caught and bike piched my a55 off.

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
moeman said:
High-side crash
This is the name for the type of crash where the motorcycle over-balances, flinging the rider off by pivoting around the tires. It usually happens in turns, or as the final phase of a tank-slapper. Crashes of this type commonly leave the rider injured or dead, due to the impact of hitting the ground after being flung off.

Low-side crash
This relatively benign crash occurs when the tires lose traction in a turn, and the motorcycle slides away from the rider. Assuming the rider is wearing protective gear and doesn't hit anything solid, there's an excellent chance of getting up completely unharmed from a low-side. The motorcycle will usually suffer abrasion damage, such as scratches on the fairing, or a broken turn signal or hand lever. This damage is commonly minor enough that the bike can be ridden safely afterward.
damn moe well said sounds like you might have experienced one or the outher lol j/k.......... very well written

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
teleinfoncarr said:
damn moe well said sounds like you might have
experienced one or the outher lol j/k.......... very well written
i exp the less painful one ( low side ) got bruised a little bit i was hurting
but no high sides thank God

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
moeman said:
i exp the less painful one ( low side ) got bruised a little bit i was hurting
but no high sides thank God
+1 same here never wanna high side, i had a low sided at about 45 not that fast but fast enugh to bruise

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think anyone plans on ever doing either but hopes that if one does happen, the ladder not the former (lowsides not highsides) happens, i've lowsided before, but on a dirtbike, nothing on the road so I ahve been quite lucky. dirt and rock and trees hurt a lot at 30 mph tho, until I get my street bike i'll just be happy to learn from others experiences thru the forums and hopefully that will be enough to keep me from doing anything stupid when I get a bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts