Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to choose between a lowside or going offroad and picked the latter. That said, the ground def wasn't even and there was a very small ditch but not small enough that the front tire hit it, stopped the bike there and kicked me off. I would assume I got kicked off at maybe <20 mph.

Now to my concern:

I know it can be a mental thing, but the bike seems to ride differently... like I am on a thin wire. What should I have checked on the bike due to the type of accident I had?

alignment?
wheel balance?
possible small bend in fork or wheel?

I am basically throwing things out there. I have noticed NO leaks from the forks. If there is a bend in the wheel, it's not evidently visible.

I appreciate the help!

G

·
Well hopefully before you got back on it you overlooked everything such as the front rim, forks, and any other possible damaged parts. Some times bent forks, rims, etc may seem straight to the naked eye yet they are actually twisted. I would have anything and everything you think was jacked up checked out before you ride again. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well hopefully before you got back on it you overlooked everything such as the front rim, forks, and any other possible damaged parts. Some times bent forks, rims, etc may seem straight to the naked eye yet they are actually twisted. I would have anything and everything you think was jacked up checked out before you ride again. Just my 2 cents.
Man that SUKS at least it was 20 miles an hour and not faster i would take it to a professional mech thats just me:drunk:

Reactions: clokwork

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
if you think somethings off you should definitely have it checked out its not worth your hide going down again. believe it or not front impact can easily break/bend forks. i would go over everything you can. if you have to imo its worth spending the money to have somebody else check it out.

·
Moto GSpizzle
7,778 Posts
if you got a stand, lift that front tire and give it a good spin. you should be able to see if something got twisted. as for the forks, you might need to have that checked out, and also your triple tree where it connects to the rest of the bike

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. great feedback. Thanks!! Hopefully the shops will have some availability soon. I was afraid the forks could bend easily. I hope that isn't the case...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question, if the forks are off, can they be fixed or is it similar to a car frame that once it's bent, It won't be quite the same after?

·
Registered
119 Posts
disassemble your fork tubes and roll the inners and outers on a flat surface. that's how i found my bent tube.

if you do have a bent fork i've got extras. 1 complete assembled fork and another minus the bent outer tube and a set of new oem seals. bike had a leaking tube when i bought it so i ordered the seals to rebuild it but found the bend so i bought 2 more (the guy would'nt sell'em seperately)

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
^ that's the easiest way unless you have a pair of vee blocks and a dial indicator...

As it is, loosen off the front end and re-torque everything, that should fix any misalignment, bent bits on the other hand will simply need replacing.

If you feel the bike is turning in to fast or is twitchy you may find that the forks are bent a little, a change in rake and shortening of the wheel base will cause this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it to the shop today and they only had it for maybe 30 minutes before telling me my alignment was out some, but said the forks were ok. I have no idea how that can be checked so quickly. I don't know what goes into checking the forks for being bent.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Depends on what sort of gear they have to play with as to how long it will take

I took it to the shop today and they only had it for maybe 30 minutes before telling me my alignment was out some, but said the forks were ok. I have no idea how that can be checked so quickly. I don't know what goes into checking the forks for being bent.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
^ that's the easiest way unless you have a pair of vee blocks and a dial indicator...

As it is, loosen off the front end and re-torque everything, that should fix any misalignment, bent bits on the other hand will simply need replacing.

If you feel the bike is turning in to fast or is twitchy you may find that the forks are bent a little, a change in rake and shortening of the wheel base will cause this.
That's what I was going to say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.