Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
I've done it a few times on accident but its not going to do any damage. Just one of those things you should try not to do.

·
1,220 Posts
The dog gear does engages, thats why its not going to do any damage. Its just one of those things you don't want to do if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well some people say that hitting it helps the sensors in the roads to notice your bike. hence why i was wondering if i would wear anything

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I've bumped my starter switch while riding and nothing happens.

·
1,220 Posts
maoun said:
well some people say that hitting it helps the sensors in the roads to notice your bike. hence why i was wondering if i would wear anything
You should turn your bike off and then start it again to try and trip the sensor. That is probably what they meant. Bumping the starter with the bike running isn't going to make that much difference in the EM field of the bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i didn't think it was the difference in EM field (spike). i thought it was the max value that tripped the sensor

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you just want the lights to turn go on ebay, they have a thing you hook into your bike i think it's only 10 or 20 bucks, a lot cheaper than taking out a starter.

·
Bike Of The Month - 09/05
1,609 Posts
Munkeeboy said:
The starter is on a one-way bearing, shouldn't cause any damage if used while the bike is running.
I think you're right, if you hit the start while the engine is running you may notice that you'll hear a sound similar to the one that you'll hear when running out of batery.

N

·
0 Posts
It's not going to kill your bike you dopes!

Every time I come to a light, I hit it to make the signal light change. I had 12,000 miles on it and no problem.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I'm not certian on the bike but with cars the starter re-engages the flywheel. The problem is the fly-wheel is now turning faster then the starter so you hears the grinding of the teeth. This is how people get into trouble and can't crank the car because the flywheel teeth eventually get ground off and it leaves a flat spot on the fly-wheel. The only fix is to pull the tranny and replace the fly-wheel and starter. But I'm not sure whether the bike is the same. I've never done that.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The starter turns, but the gear does not engage the flywheel. It will cause your lights to go out, but that's just to divert all available battery power to the starter when you're starting the bike up. Other than normal wear on the starter and battery, it does no harm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts