Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
I personally have crashed in my CL-14 and it heald up pretty well. I bought another one because it is such a great price ($120.) Now I use it for two up rides (my gf wears the x-11) and as a spare helmet for the track. It's heavy as hell and after reading about the ban I may consider buying something else (now that I can afford it.) Anyone who thinks a cheap helmet is the same as an expensive one is kidding themselves. The one time I switched back to the HJC for a sprinted ride I got a kink in my neck because it was so heavy...

·
Registered
344 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Shoei, way better protection....
don't confuse comfort with protection. the expensive cost is the comfort (ie: lighter, softer, etc). They all pass the same tests to be given the DOT and SNELL stamp of approval.

certain CL and CS models of HJC are NOT SNELL approved. FYI

i'll take my Scorpion Exo-700 any day, got it for $160 new!

C

·
0 Posts
The expensive cost is the expensive build overall, not just comfort. The cheap cost is a cheap build overall. Yes they both pass big tests and we all think our cheap helmet is just fine, yet cheap is exactly what it is.

N

·
0 Posts
Though there are a variety of helmet brands, the one that fits/feels/and visually appeals to me is the Shoei.

But back on topic: The part I disagree is why certain helmets are rated for competition use and some are not. I think all of them should be for competition use or have the same protection and safety features of that. And this applies to not just HJC but all helmet brands.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Pretty interesting read. What I didn't see was a statistical finding that states out of all of the HJC helmets that crashed they showed a higher percentage of head injury then other helmets. Only that out of the last 5 crashes resulting in head injury they were all wearing HJC's. I'm curious to know how it all plays out. I have the AC-11.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The helmets that were reported in the five incidents were all polycarbonate (plastic). It was stated, that in years past Snell only certified fiberglass/composite builds. When looking at helmets, across all brands, pricing is primarily dependent on the shell material. Build quality, is a concern in any manufacturing environment and is not limited to a particular brand or period of time.

So quality issues aside, because all brands will experience variances, the shell material should be the important consideration.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nemesis said:
Though there are a variety of helmet brands, the one that fits/feels/and visually appeals to me is the Shoei.

But back on topic: The part I disagree is why certain helmets are rated for competition use and some are not. I think all of them should be for competition use or have the same protection and safety features of that. And this applies to not just HJC but all helmet brands.

No polycarbonate helmet would be deemed safe for competition use. They are on the market for street use; but the dangers and perils of street riding equal or exceed the risks at the track.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Johnny Candles said:
I have a CL-Max and it passes DOT and Snell standards. Perhaps the racing circuits have higher standards? I can see why.
I work for a company that distributes HJC and I have never heard of the CL-Max being SNELL approved, DOT yes but not SNELL. HJC is currently working on the SY-Max 2 which will be their first SNELL approved modular helmet. In case you need to know, part of my job is repairing helmets (HJC, Icon, Z1R) so I do have "some" idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I always hear guys saying I can't afford this or that but before buying a bike you should make sure you have enough money to buy top of the line gear. It shouldn't be the second thing you buy it should be bought at the same time (unless you have it already of course).

My head is sorta important to me so buying low end products is not something I do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts