Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I can get some ok power wheelies up and hold em a bit, and even set em back down gently (every once in a while), but I dont like doing em that way. Just seems too unpredictable for me at this stage. Been trying the clutch thing, but only had a few that way.

Im going along in 1st gear at about 20, then pulling the clutch in a bit, letting the rpms hit 10k or so and then letting the clutch out pretty quick. Mostly all I get is a lot of jerking. Just doesnt feel smooth to me. Only had it come up a few times. Ive had it come up a few times when Im trying to get some fast starts, but not when moving.

Any tips? Ive read all the stuff here and on a few other sites. Does anyone know of any online vids maybe? Maybe I need to be more agressive, but Im still feeling things out.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Google video it if you can't find that how to wheelie vid in this section..Best advice I can give you is to keep doing what you're doing..Take it slow..Feel out your bike..This bikes a little harder to wheelie than others, it will just click one day and you got it..That day comes sooner for some, later for others..

Use one finger while slipping the clutch...One smooth motion

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Everyone here will recomend to clutch them up. I could never power it higher than maybe a foot high, but clutching it up was always way too scary. I could get it really high on clutching but it would come up so fast it would scare the chit out me causing me to either hit the rear brake of cut throttle causing it to pretty much slam back down after a couple of feet.

I'm not into stunting at all or really even take time to practice wheelies. It's not my thing but I would give it a go every now and then.

The way I see it 2 wheels is already dangerous enough. I don't need to be one 1.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
its all in the release you're reving more than enough, just gotta snap the clutch out and it'll come right up, dont forget cover teh rear brake though..ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
make sure your still on the throttle when u let the clutch out.. if your holding it still all you will be doing is jerking the bike.. but take it slow, if u gas it to much when u let the clutch out it might come up to fast..

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
04CBR said:
make sure your still on the throttle when u let the clutch out.. if your holding it still all you will be doing is jerking the bike.. but take it slow, if u gas it to much when u let the clutch out it might come up to fast..
Hmm...that might be part of my problem. Im getting the RPMs up and then holding them steady when I slip the clutch. I'll try slipping the clutch at the same time that Im slowly raising the RPMS and see how that works.

Its been raining for 2 days straight here though so I cant try it today :banghead:. Its been crappy on and off here for days now.

Oh, and wynngripRR, I was in Fargo last month for a weekend. That was enough for the year :p.

·
Registered
382 Posts
its more of a rev it up to redline. just let the clutch out somewhere BEFORE redline. but the throttle motion is that your gonna rev it higher.then let out the clutch somewhere between...it will catch. then let off the gas SLIGHTLY. just practice practice

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
gawd please dont rev it up to redline when you dump the clutch... thas crazy...
try it around 5-6k constant revs, pull in your clutch with index, turn your wrist about a quarter turn or so then DUMP pow.......comes up EVERYTIME...all that should happen in a matter of a second.....
I can do it all through the rpm range but it is easiest to learn around 5-6k id say...definitely not 15 grand

·
Registered
382 Posts
i said rev it up LIKE your goin to redline...as in, keep the throttle motion going. dont rev it. stop. then drump. rev. dump keep goin with throttle till its where you need it. then stop. i knew someone would have bad reading skills and get confused.

·
Registered
89 Posts
keep tryin it might take a bit iv started gettin mine up to where im looking at the gas cap just gotta work on keepin em up there again thx for all the imput guys its helped alot

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup. That was my problem. Now, Im using 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch and Im rolling the throttle while Im slipping the clutch and its coming up almost whenever I want it to. Now I gotta figure out how to keep it up (no sexual references intended :p).

Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, I have another question...

Would you guys suggest 1st or 2nd for practicing this? Ive got it to come up in 2nd, but mostly been using 1st. Its a little harder in 2nd, but feels a bit smoother.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I"d say 1st, alot of engine braking to bring you back, plus you're more limited on speed, whereas 2nd can get you moving alot faster than you need to be. However throttle is more sensitive in first, but once you get the who0lies down in first gear, all the others shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again for the tips. I'll be giving the wheelies a rest for a few days though.
LOL...I somehow managed to hurt my back doing one yesterday. :rolleyes:
I was either unconsciously yanking up on the bars when it was coming up (probably from years of bmx and mountain biking) or Im still not relaxed and too stiff when Im doing em. Should be fine in a day or two though.
At least its just a sore back and not a bunch of smashed up fairings.

I gotta tell ya though. Its addicting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts