Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I went down with my bike (right side) and some how, the joint on my frame sliders (no cut) snapped backwards and poked a hole on my engine (a little smaller than a keyboard button).......... :crying:

I took it to a mechanic and he recommended I get Marine Tex to patch up the hole. The broken piece is still mostly intact except a small hole, about 1/5'. I took it to a welder too, but due to the location of the hole, he said it could not be done.

How would I go about cover that hole? Some kind of putty? Would I just use Marine Tex to cover the smaller hole whole? Attached is a picture of the hole.

Thank

Attachments

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Best way for you to do is to drop the engine, and take the cylinder head off. If you can’t do it yourself it’s most likely cheaper to buy a “new” engine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well that sucks. Looks repairable though. Like others have said I would try the cheapest option first which would be some kind of epoxy putty. JB weld may work, I've used JB water weld to fix some small things, and it's worked great, but I haven't used it on an engine haha.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,892 Posts
While you're at it throw those sliders in the garbage

Drain the oil, tip the bike on its side so the damage is facing up, rest it on something soft obviously.

Clean the area thoroughly with brake clean or similar. Get some jb weld and let it set up a bit so it's not so runny. More like putty. Or get an epoxy putty. Press the putty into the cracks (make sure it's not runny in any way). Let that set up, then use jb weld over top of the affected area to seal it up.

Chances are it'll hold ok.

Next time skip the frame sliders they're pieces of ****

·
Registered
966 Posts
All around the world the same song........
No cuts =no good. That's in the engine case. I'd be looking for a new one myself. 15,000rpm vibrations aren't going to do JB weld any favors trying to patch that up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
JB Weld is pretty strong, but I don't think it is a good application for this damage. Sure the JB weld will probably fill the cracks and hold good, but I think it will eventually separate around the two gaping holes. Personally, i'd look at a new engine, or .... cut out the damaged section, and properly weld a cover piece (JB weld may be acceptable in this scenario).

The welder you spoke to declined most likely due to liability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buying a new engine is last case scenario here. First, try patching with just epoxy/puddy and JB weld--see if that holds. Then if that doesnt work out, cut out damaged section and weld cover piece. All fails? then buy new engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pull out the cracked/damaged/broken pieces first. Do not let them fall into the engine. Clean the surrounding are of the hole and scuff with sand paper. Clean it again. JB weld a quarter or nickel over the hole. If you just JB weld the way it is, you run the risk of the broken pieces falling off into the engine. Remove the damage to solid metal/case. Patch it with something larger than the hole so it cannot enter the engine.
Just my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts