Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for a few responces from more experienced riders.

I am going to try to spit out the main points w/o a huge long post.

-the bike is for my dad (first bike)
-he dosent want to buy a bike thats no longer being made (04 is the last year for the 599)
-he is VERY conservative (very slow/safe rider/driver)
-50 years old+
- obviously likes the 919 appearance
- he rides my 02 600 F4i all over the neighborhood all the time

Down to the point, I ride my bike while being safe as possable, i push it pretty hard, meaning i try to use it for what it was built for.
He however will not. He will simply ride it a few miles to and from work and take weekend cruises w/ me on the twisty roads.

For how he would use it do you think the 300 additional cc's will spell disaster for him?
If there was going to be a major problem for him, i can't think of a situation where he would go down on the 919 and not on the 599.
(does that make sence?)

Please give some opinions. If i left anything out i will try to add it later.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've never ridden the 919, but I think it has under 100 horsepower and is clamer and tamer than your F4i. I would not push him towards the 599, it's obviously not what he wants on almost all your points.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im unsure of the HP differences between the two. I know the 919 has the same motor as the older 900rr, and i believe the 599 has the f3 or the f4 motor. But like i said i have not been able to find any HP numbers.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Another vote for the 919...its going to be more street friendly as you wont have to run it as hard to make it go. It will offer plenty of torque and horsepower so that he wont get bored with it, but has respectable enough numbers to not get him into trouble to terrably quick. Its an easy to ride bike.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here you go..I picked up a flat black 919(Hornet 900) 2 summers ago when I went home for a 2 month vacation..I needed something to get around that was cheap and better than a rental....

I got home after picking it up and my father(55 y/o) wanted to take it out and see what a new bike felt like...since he has always been a BSA and Triumph man....needless to say, he went for a 5 minute ride, came back, got his leather jacket and gloves, and took off for the rest of the day!....He loved it...his days of fast riding are long gone but he liked the bike's overall feeling and smoothness....at the end of the summer before I came back to Taiwan, he offered to buy it from me for the price I had pay for it new...I sold it to him..and now, he's got Akrapovic slip-ons on it, Ohlins rear shock and a few other minor add-ons....He also liked the fact that it's a simple and easy bike to own maintenance wise!

Of course, there are other bikes in this category..but since you're asking about 599 or 919..the choice is obvious! :cool:

Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
i second that. i had a 919 a few years ago and it was a super fun, totally managable bike thats great for quick blasts and commuting (as long as there's not a lot of interstate time - the wind blasts suck on naked bikes).

dad's gonna dig it. it's fast, don't get me wrong, but only in the way that all bikes are fast, nothing scary.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, this is exactly what i was looking for.

If anyone else has any experiences w/ either bike or comments please feel free to share.

Thanks again guys :rocker:

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have a 919 and I love it, its a great bike. The only problem I have is when I am on the highway the wind really knocks me around because there is no fairing. I bought a little flyscreen and it helps but there is really not much you can do. I would say go with the 919 it has a great motor, and will not be too demanding for a new rider.

Peace
Will

·
Registered
146 Posts
bigger isn't always better. but in this case I would have to agree to go with the 919. My Bro was looking at getting a bike and after riding both the 599 and 919 I would have to say the 919 felt a lot better, not just in terms of power which didn't matter to me for this wasn't the reason I was looking at the two bikes but it just felt more stable and all in all better. another vote for the 919!

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Have your father look at a Suzuki SV1000, or even a 650. It's alot cheaper, the engine is bullet proof, and it's a V-twin so it makes alot of it's torque down low.

V-twins have alot of character...really hard to explain..you gotta just ride one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts