Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive got a 2007 VT1100C2 Shadow Sabre in my garage that isn't getting power to the fuel pump.

Admittedly, I am subpar, at best, regarding electrical.

I replaced the fuel pump relay with no luck.

The pump is getting no power from the bike. I check for power at the plug and it reads 0.

Ive checked the fuses (those which Ive found), and they are all good. I may be missing some.

I do not have a wiring diagram or a service manual.

Maybe someone can chime in as Im sure someone out there has had/ seen this issue.

I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
when i've been in a similar sitch, i start at the problem(pump) and follow the wires with the mulitmeter until i find the break in the circuit. so start at the plug closest to the pump, test, go to the next plug closer to the fuses and test for current again. without a wiring diagram or manual, that will be your best option IMO

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i've been in a similar sitch, i start at the problem(pump) and follow the wires with the mulitmeter until i find the break in the circuit. so start at the plug closest to the pump, test, go to the next plug closer to the fuses and test for current again. without a wiring diagram or manual, that will be your best option IMO
I started doing that. I checked at the pump. Nothing.

I checked the female connector that the pump plugs into. Nothing.

Then it goes into the wrapped bundle of wiring and I have no idea where the next connection is.

Figured pump relay (#13 in the pic). Replaced it. Nothing.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1530-honda-2007-shadow-sabre-vt1100c2/assemblies/14281-wire-harness

Someone suggested the kill switch. Will there be power to and from that switch if its functioning properly?

Is that switch part of the circuit?

Where does the circuit continue back from the plug I checked?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I started doing that. I checked at the pump. Nothing.

I checked the female connector that the pump plugs into. Nothing.

Then it goes into the wrapped bundle of wiring and I have no idea where the next connection is.

Figured pump relay (#13 in the pic). Replaced it. Nothing.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1530-honda-2007-shadow-sabre-vt1100c2/assemblies/14281-wire-harness

Someone suggested the kill switch. Will there be power to and from that switch if its functioning properly?

Is that switch part of the circuit?

Where does the circuit continue back from the plug I checked?

look here for manual,

link deleted...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Mate, power to the fuel pump is supplied directly from the fuel relay. It is switched on and off by the ignition module.

Check continuity of the blue/yellow wire from the fuel relay to the ignition module. If it's good then you may need a new ignition module for it.

Post back up before you go replacing the module though cause I'm not 100% on how the fuel pump is switched at this point cause it looks like that blue/yellow wire is also the ignition modules output for one of the coils...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mate, power to the fuel pump is supplied directly from the fuel relay. It is switched on and off by the ignition module.

Check continuity of the blue/yellow wire from the fuel relay to the ignition module. If it's good then you may need a new ignition module for it.

Post back up before you go replacing the module though cause I'm not 100% on how the fuel pump is switched at this point cause it looks like that blue/yellow wire is also the ignition modules output for one of the coils...

Theres good power in the blue/yellow wire from the ignition module.

When the bike is cranking, the power at the fuel pump wire is about 6.7-8 volts.

Could the pump be bad? Would the ohms go up and not allow the bike to push the right amount of voltage to the pump?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
So the relay switches fine then?

Sounds like there is a bad connection somewhere along the way. If you measure the voltage at the ignition fuse, then at the fuel pump relay and again at the fuel pump you should be able to get a rough idea where it has gone bad.

Shouldn't be to hard to narrow it down to the right piece of wire to replace...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Ok... so I have a little more info for you now.

That fuel pump relay, well it's not a relay in the normal sense of it...

So, first thing you will want to do is test the fuel pump relay:
Get it all turned on and measure the voltage at the black wire of the fuel pump relay, make sure it's 12V.

Next measure the voltage on the black/blue wire with the negative lead and the black wire on the positive lead. Make your measurements in both A/C and D/C and post up the results... and also post up which model multimeter you have (so I can find out what it's limitations are)

When you replaced the relay, what did you replace it with? The correct part from Honda? Can you post up it's part number if it's on there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts