Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will be tough bc everyone heres on Honda But I need so opinions on which bike to get (unbiased) I have down payments on both bikes and cant decide which bike to buy. Id like to hear about the pro link suspension also and if it really works.I have recieved my 600rr from A dealer in MO but have not ridden it bc of the shipping damage. THe dealer is taking the bike back and repairing everything so I cant try the pro-link.

L

·
0 Posts
i really like the looks of the r1 and it has gotten pretty good reviews, better than the honda so far. yamaha quality being what it is and the r1 being a first year production model, i would stay away from it. go on any yamaha forum and you'll see quite a few threads on people trying to file class action lawsuits against yamaha for something that was messed up on the bikes. r6 messagenet has a whole section of their forum devoted to warranty and bike failures :?

i personally know that i don't have the skill to push any of the liter bikes to their limit, or any of the 600's for that matter. i'd choose the 600rr over all of them. :bounce:

·
Registered
233 Posts
honda owns starbucks and I like coffee so honda
hahah
can you tell I am tired and full of ****
But really honda would be my choice
I had a r1 didnt really feel like the bike molded to me like my honda

·
Registered
484 Posts
You're at a Honda enthusiast site, but for what it's worth...

GET THE HONDA! You can brag that your bike is an RC211v derivative, and that's worth more than the bike itself! :p

Seriously though, if you are going to use this bike primarily on the street, you'll enjoy the 1000RR's stability. My advice is based mainly on motorcycle.com's review, but if the liter is anything like the 600, it'll feel unflappable. MO also preferred the Honda steering damper over Yamaha's. The HESD is really groundbreaking, and I would actually more aroused by the damper than by the pro-link. The pro-link IS awesome, don't get me wrong, but if you want to talk sheer engineering coolness, the damper is where its at.

Lastly, regardless of the industry sway through the years, Honda tends to hold the strongest reputation for superior engineering.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oh yeah. According to MO, the R1 also had a really hot spot on the right knee area--hot enough to cause what was probably a 1st degree burn. He needed to ride with his knee out at lower speeds to avoid getting burned. It was hot enough to nearly melt his cordura pants.

Not sure if this problem will persist, but it's something to think about.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ask yourself a few questions first; How experience are you? What do you want to do with the bike? How important are the looks?

1) All of the recent reviews I've read suggest that Yamaha is not as refined as the 1000RR and is a bit more to handle, even though both bike exhibit exceptionally good behavior.

2) If you're gonna ride street only, Honda wins hands down. It's a torque monster, and at that it's peak tq comes at 8100 rpms! Yamaha you have to rev a bit more to do the same amount of work, but hey, that might be the fun in it's own way depending on the person...

3) I think both bikes look good, Yamaha however looks better in my opinion. Everyone seems to label the 600RR and the 1000RR as being "identical twins", but I find that the 600RR looks waaay better and even though similar to 1000RR in many respects, is a whole different piece of art.

Also to take into consideration are the facts that Yamaha seems to be haunted by a "significant" heat issue and that Honda is a "porker". Most people however do not realize that once a few OEM parts are changed on the Honda, it's gonna ba a racers dream come true, especially due to the fact that it puts out approximately the same hp and has a significantly lower compression ratio - grab your tools and go searching for more ponies :D .

Either are a good choice. I believe that in this model of R1, Yamaha has taken steps to address ALL of the concerns people had with previous models such as a "twitchy" front end, and pegs braking off! (ouch). Only time will tell though.

Good luck with either purchase.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a bit more info for ya

I think that everyone who posted a reply has given you great advice...ask yourself what type of riding you will do the majority of the time....go to your dealership and sit on each bike and get a feel for the ergos, control placement, etc....if you want to read a pretty indepth and thorough review of each bike, check out these links:

CBR1000RR: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=457&Page=1

YZF-R1: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=511&Page=1

good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
58 Posts
i dont post much.. but i read often.. i must say i LOVE this site.. a lot of somewhat unbiased info.. and not one single instance of flamming.. jet.. you have a truly awesome site.. kudos!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After reading some of the reviews, Im leaning towards the R1, manyy are saying the cbr s fell porkey and I hate porkey bikes.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
I bought all three magazines this month. (Cycle World, Sport Rider, and Motor Cyclist) Every one has the 100RR and the Kawa 10R on the cover. Everyone agrees the 1000rr is the best in handling and feel (They mention it didn't feel as powerful as the 10R). 10r in second with GSX-r1000 third. R1 Came in last!

If you recall Porkey was also used to describe the 600rr. Yet it has smoked all other bikes in its class.

This is what Sport Rider said about the 1000rr handling; "...steers lighter and quicker than the 954, even with 5mm more trail."

"...Whatever the reasons---along wheelbase and swingarm, the unit pro-link suspension, reduced polar MOI----the big CBR doesn't act like a heavy litrbike; instead it can be tossed about like a 750, or even a 600."

MOI---- means Moment of Inertia which is perhaps the biggest aspect and key to handling. That is why some rims even though they are lighter than the stock ones, cause the bike to handle slow. This is because their weight at MOI is greater. It all has to do with design.

If you really want to get down and talk about what makes our bikes heavier than the rest its b/c of the Pro-Link suspension. The frame has to be strengthened at more points to be able to provide a more stable ride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
RedrocketOG said:
2003 r1 please.....the styling and grace makes the mv agusta look ugly..
What are you on drugs?????
There is nothing as nice as an MV
And if there ever is anything comparable it certainly will not be an R1!

·
Registered
618 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either of the two... but I am wondering why you are not getting the 600RR? What made you change your mind to go for a liter bike? I agree with lucky about riding a bike to its full potential... maybe you are a lot more experienced. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts