Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was changing out my buddies exhaust, and the bolt that holds his heat shield on (allen head 5mm) wouldn't come out. It stripped the head quickly even using slow pressure and hammering it in some, and we had to drill it out. His windscreen screws also had badly machined heads that we had to hammer into just to get a screwdriver to fit (yes I used the right size phillips head). Now I need to get my tail off, and unfortunately I overtightened the bolt last time on my 04...the one on the very front tip of the tail on each side...and the head is now ruined. These screws are so soft. Ugh. Now I need to buy a chisel and try to cut in slots for a huge flathead, or buy a bolt extractor kit. WTF honduh?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Try and use the T style allen tools and do not overtighten these dam bolts
but i agree with you these bolts do suck

·
Registered
965 Posts
The windscreen screws on are plastic I do believe.. I snapped the head off of one and found that out pretty quick..

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
RedFireRR said:
The windscreen screws on are plastic I do believe.. I snapped the head off of one and found that out pretty quick..
replace them plastic ones with the metal ones much better to work with
then those crapy cheapy plastic screws

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maybe your socket is worn out? I use Snap-on hex sockets and haven't really had a problem getting any of the allen bolts out, unless they were severly over-torqued or crossthreaded previously. You can also try hammering a Torx bit in there if its really mangled.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was using brand new craftsman t handle hex wrenches. oh well. I'll slot it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think its all about talk trying to save weight. the srtripped the bolt head of the drain plug on my F4 because I used a 12 sided wrench instead of a 6 sided ones. the bolt is made of aluminum. I was pissed off.. Basically, if you try to work on your bike without the right tools, you'll just end up creating more work for yourself.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've never had problems on mine until now, and it was my fault for overtightening...i was worried cause the other side fell out

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah i had same probs with the windscreen screws.....oh and the mirror screws sucked as well so i got stainless replacements for them and havent had a prob since...i also had many probs with the "wellnuts" behind the bodywork bolts and had to replace a few of them due to them twisting and bending ....so ya buy a $9000 bike and just have to replace all the hardwear on the bike ...excellent

·
Registered
207 Posts
Havent had any such problems ever with mine. Hmmm...sounds like you got a few bad ones that slipped through. Dont sweat it though. Just be patient!!!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i've been usin it on everything aluminum on aluminum lately

·
Registered
639 Posts
welp, maybe that the problem.. what color loctite? you should only use orange or blue. red is permanant, and will cause problems if u dont heat it up a bit first. (propane torch)

Personally the only thing I use loctite on is, axle pinch bolts, caliper bolts, rearsets and screws for bar-ends. Most the other stuff wont come loose, if torqued properly.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i use blue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RRnelcheeze said:
User Error.
lol i personally think plastic screws and bolts arent exactly the best choice for sport bikes that crank out 170mph+....furthermore this isnt the first time ive picked up a screwdriver or ratchet...i personally think that honda just dropped the ball in the design area off the RR's for the public....there is nobody that needs to save that "weight" on their street bikes that the plastic screws offer them....twist it harder ....my .02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts