Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i havent heard too much about this bike. Is it pretty quick, faster than the 600? All i seem to hear about is the 600 and the 100rr. Just wondering what yall thought about it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
The VFR (Interceptor) is a sport touring bike. It has an 800cc V4 with a fairly basic version of VTEC, which has gotten mixed reviews for its effectiveness.

They are quite comfortable, and have available hard bags, and sound pretty damn good with a set of pipes. In the hands of a good rider, they are also pretty capable sport bikes.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have one, lots of fun. Roomier/bigger than the RR's. More upright seating, more comfortable. Very fast bike but decieving because of the V4. You can carry the front wheel pretty good on it.

Freddy Spencer runs one at Miller in his school. Somewhere I have pics of him dragging knee with a passenger on it. They handle very nicley.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The best all around street bike IMO.

Ignore the spec sheets and ride one, you will see why people get them. They are super smooth, sound fantastic, all day comfortable, available hard luggage, very reliable, and very competent. Besides straight line acceleration it will hang with any sport bike on the street, and it even gets around the track pretty well.

Only a couple guys I have ever ridden with in the mountains can keep me in sight, and I turn 1:30s at Jennings on my VFR. The CBR is quicker, but I can't ride the CBR for 400 mile days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
and if it weren't so damn much more (msrp and insurance)... i'd consider getting one
They don't sell very many of them, so except for the 25th anniversary 2007 model, they sell for well under MSRP.

They have only had VERY minor updates since 2002 and you can pickup a near perfect 02-04 for under $5K. I got my 02 with ABS a year and a half ago for $4k with a salvage title in excellent condition.

Most people that ride VFRs are older, more responsible riders (me excluded) so they are generally very well taken care of, rarely dropped, and last damn near forever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i heard that honda's vtec was developed for bikes way back in the day to race. Do all honda's use vtec or an upgraded system? I think the vfr is the only one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i heard that honda's vtec was developed for bikes way back in the day to race. Do all honda's use vtec or an upgraded system? I think the vfr is the only one.
The VTec on the VFR is the only common variable valve system I have ever heard of on motorcycles.

The VFR's VTec system is nothing like the VTec system on cars. In the car engines, they run on 4 valves all the time and change the timing and lift by way of secondary lobes on the cam shaft. The VTec in the VFR just uses 2 valves for 0-7000RPM and 4 valves from 7000 up.

It is unfortunate that they put this system on the VFR, as the only benefit from it (and Honda’s reason for using it) is noise reduction as it runs quieter on 2 valves. The system can cause rideability issues, valve adjustments are very time consuming (expensive), and there were no gains over the previous 4 valve all the time engine. They also unfortunately changed over to a cam chain on the 6th gen from gear driven cams on all previous generations (again for noise, and cost issues).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm looking into getting one of these. Southernhonda has the abs version for $9683. So me and my wife can take off for a ride. She hates the RR. Too uncomfortable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts