Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in my New Members thread I am considering buying a 2008 600RR sometime soon. I came to the conclusion after going down to the dealership and sitting on the different bikes and ended up feeling the best on the CBR. Then I did the research online and asked some riders which all came back with positive reviews for the 600RR and Hondas in general.

However, today I had a discussion with a co-workers husband who is an 11 year bike veteran and who VERY nicely modified his ZX10R, I'm thinking he knows a thing or two about bikes. I told him I wanted to get a 600RR and he proceeds to tell me it's a bad idea: they're difficult to maintain, everyone he knows that's owned one hates them, I personally don't like them, they break down after 1,000 miles, you HAVE to be absolutely vigilant to keep them running were his main points. He basically told me everything someone wouldn't want to hear about a bike they are buying.

Now it seems to me he's a little anti-Honda biased for whatever reason so I took his advice with skepticism and a grain of salt(after all my supervisor has had a VFR for 11 years and rides it everyday and even took it on a trip from Los Angeles to Colombia and back so I'm pretty sure Hondas are reliable).

He did get me thinking though, mainly I want to know what sorts of problems the new 600RR's have or if any of what he said is even true. Are they any more finicky than the rest? Are they better than the rest? etc, etc.

D

·
0 Posts
Your co-workers husband is the typical owner of a Ninja. They get jealous and angry because they spend money on a polished turd when they could have had a CBR.

If you're at all not afraid to work on your own bike, maintaining it will be almost easier then lifting the toilet seat to go pee. Properly maintained, a Honda will last longer then the rider does.

Only problems the new 600RR's have, that I know of, are all owner caused. Aside from the bad part here and there, there hasn't really been any big problems that have risen that I know of.

·
Registered
240 Posts
can't say much about the 08's as i am not the expert, but based on what your co-worker is saying, it sounds like he is definitely an anti-honda for some reason.

I've actually heard the opposite about working on the bike, that it is extremely easy. Again, don't know about the 08.

How do you feel about Honda cars/generators/lawn mowers/etc. Its the same company and i'm sure that a few of the parts are interchangeable, basically, i'm saying if you believe that their cars are reliable, it should carry on to their bikes as well. my .02

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your co-workers husband is the typical owner of a Ninja. They get jealous and angry because they spend money on a polished turd when they could have had a CBR.

If you're at all not afraid to work on your own bike, maintaining it will be almost easier then lifting the toilet seat to go pee. Properly maintained, a Honda will last longer then the rider does.

Only problems the new 600RR's have, that I know of, are all owner caused. Aside from the bad part here and there, there hasn't really been any big problems that have risen that I know of.
Looks like he's got an 08, so I would take his word over the guy who's "heard" of issues, blah blah blah

·
Registered
709 Posts
can't say much about the 08's as i am not the expert, but based on what your co-worker is saying, it sounds like he is definitely an anti-honda for some reason.

I've actually heard the opposite about working on the bike, that it is extremely easy. Again, don't know about the 08.

How do you feel about Honda cars/generators/lawn mowers/etc. Its the same company and i'm sure that a few of the parts are interchangeable, basically, i'm saying if you believe that their cars are reliable, it should carry on to their bikes as well. my .02
The 08 is easy to work with. Its just the accessibility. And if you wanna compare the 08 ninja to the RR. Next time you go to the dealer. Ask them to show you where the oil filter is located and both bikes.:icon_lol:

D

·
0 Posts
The 08 is easy to work with. Its just the accessibility. And if you wanna compare the 08 ninja to the RR. Next time you go to the dealer. Ask them to show you where the oil filter is located and both bikes.:icon_lol:
The oil filter on the '08 is easy to get to. I can get mine off in 2 minutes. People just make it such a hard job because they over think getting it off and what will happen with the oil and headers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The oil filter on the '08 is easy to get to. I can get mine off in 2 minutes. People just make it such a hard job because they over think getting it off and what will happen with the oil and headers.
I think kuma is trying to say that the ninja is more of a bitch to work with.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I know. I was referring to where its located on the ninja. My reaction to it. Who's the dumb **** that decide to put it there.:icon_lol:

D

·
0 Posts
I know. I was referring to where its located on the ninja. My reaction to it. Who's the dumb **** that decide to put it there.:icon_lol:
Ah, my bad.
Well, there's a big difference between the Honda and Kawi Engineers. One brand designs stuff with their brains, the other with the "Family Guy" method.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
the guy that told you that ish is retarded. honda's are generally accepted to be one of the easier-to-work-on, more logically set-up bikes. try changing the oil/filter on an r6, then try it on a CBR and you'll understand what i mean. since we've established this guy is retarded, it makes sense that his mind doesn't work logically- and thus, working on a honda is not illogical enough for him.

as for reliability. honda's are generally regarded as the single most reliable bikes available- don't take this guy's word worth a grain of salt, take it worth a spec of dust.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ah, my bad.
Well, there's a big difference between the Honda and Kawi Engineers. One brand designs stuff with their brains, the other with the "Family Guy" method.
With honda you worry about getting oil on your headers which can be easily wiped off and burned off. In the ninja. Well its right above the crankcase cover. It gets messy. Real messy.:icon_lol:

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are really on it!

I told him that Honda makes the most reliable cars and that it should carry over to their bikes. He responded by saying no because they develop so much based on their dirt bikes and their dirt bikes are never at the top and they suck. I knew right then and there that what he was saying was absolutely due to his bias, however I still was curious about what problems MIGHT be had with a Honda. I've now even less doubt that they are the most reliable after researching tonight.

How many idiots like this are out there?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Best bet is to get what you want and don't ever talk about bikes with him. He is an idiot.

The problem with my Honda is that I want to ride all the time.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't know if this figures in, I just REALLY want to know why he feels this way about Hondas, but I just found out he is a moderator at sportbikechat.com. Do they tend to be Kawasaki biased over there? It seems like it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Don't know if this figures in, I just REALLY want to know why he feels this way about Hondas, but I just found out he is a moderator at sportbikechat.com. Do they tend to be Kawasaki biased over there? It seems like it.
If you really want to know, you'll have to have some casual conversation with him about motorcycles, his experiences, why he like Kawis, etc. Maybe he had a bad experience, has been hit by one, or maybe he has just only owned Kawis. If you keep up with inconspicuous probing questions you'll get to the root of it...which will likely be totally based on emotions instead of facts.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you really want to know, you'll have to have some casual conversation with him about motorcycles, his experiences, why he like Kawis, etc. Maybe he had a bad experience, has been hit by one, or maybe he has just only owned Kawis. If you keep up with inconspicuous probing questions you'll get to the root of it...which will likely be totally based on emotions instead of facts.
I don't see him often enough to do this and to be honest I don't even care. His "expertise" has been put into question after my research tonight.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be an owner next month!

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, must have misunderstood..........thought I was helping
You totally are! But I keep reading more and more reviews and opinions from sport bikers online and they all point in the opposite direction of this guy. Sorry if my mind changes from post to post but I keep getting more info.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts