1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Ryda85 said:
i thought all companies were dumping the 2 strokes
I imagine they will eventually.

My dad says it's funny how they have gone full circle. When he started riding all they had were 4 strokes. Then they completely switched to 2 strokes. Now it's gone fill cirlce and the 4 strokes are in full swing again.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
RowskisRR said:
Its been coming for a while, the environmentalists dont like our 2 strokes, but I know I love the smell and sound of mine.
That's not really the full reason though. The 4 strokes are better in every way, until you have to rebuild the top end.

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
TOMIMOTO said:
That's not really the full reason though. The 4 strokes are better in every way, until you have to rebuild the top end.
True that, the new four strokes are badass no doubt, but you are right about the maintenance, better get out your check book and be ready. Initial cost is sky high as well, I love my $2K CR250. It hauls ass and handles well(as far as I am concerned) parts are everywhere and cheap and maintenance is a snap.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
TOMIMOTO said:

Yea but you dont have to do it nearly as much as you SHOULD do a 2 stroke. 25 hours on a 2 stroke albeit most people dont even come close.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Shame, really. Most new riders will never get to experince what a beatifull bike a good stroker is to ride, dirt or track......

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
This comes as no suprise with all the clean air laws these days, not to say that is a bad thing.

The in of an era for most.

RIP

Jason

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
BDiddy said:
Yea but you dont have to do it nearly as much as you SHOULD do a 2 stroke. 25 hours on a 2 stroke albeit most people dont even come close.
the new 4 stroke motocross bikes need be rebuilt just as much as a 2 stroke.
It's a win win for the manufactors, You could pull apart a 2 stroke with your eyes closed. Now just to replace the spark plug in my brothers yz250f is a project. As far as emissions go its total bs. A 2 stroke can be made to have cleaner emissions then a four stroke. And the fourstrokes are def louder then the 2 strokes.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,875 Posts
from what i understand it's the EPA doing it because they burn oil. aside from the 4-strokes being hands-down higher performing than a 2-stroke

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
put a 500cc 2 stroke on the side a 450 and see what performance is. not to mention four strokes have a really high risk of grenading engines compared to the 2.
2 strokes = more powerful engines with less moving parts, which means less money for manufactors. It's no wonder they are pushing to get rid of the 2 stroke.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
nobody buys the 2 strokes anymore anyway. My boy said when he first started riding dirt 4 years ago, he had one of the few 4 strokes out there. Now almost 90% of the bikes are 4 stroke and the remaining 2 strokes are all old.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my 03 CR250R but I have to tell you... if this increases the resale value of the bike... it's gone. If I am honest, I don't ride it enough anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts