Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if you guys saw but in the new sport rider they had an article picturing a 2008 cbr600rr sporting abs. saying "big red aims to have antilock brake systems available (as an option) on all its models by 2010. then goes on to say a bunch of other blah blah blah. but what do you think about abs on the street and track? im sure on the track it will be nice, but on the street not so sure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't mind ABS at all, as long as they preserve the brake feel and don't make it overbearing. It certainly allows for consistency while braking and it's certainly is calming to have a little safety net like that.

F

·
0 Posts
I agree. It could be a good thing for the street. An if we can't have seatbelts and airbags, how bout an ejecter seat and parachutes -free with purchase!- only for those impossible moments...:five:

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I agree. It could be a good thing for the street. An if we can't have seatbelts and airbags, how bout an ejecter seat and parachutes -free with purchase!- only for those impossible moments...:five:
LMOA ! awesome idea actually.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Based on their reviews would try it, but I would want to see what the increase in weight will be...

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
ABS on a 600 race bike, wow... whats next? Cruise control and Autopilot? Pretty soon we'll have robots racing the bikes for us while we sit in recliners. Friggen lame.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
ABS on a 600 race bike, wow... whats next? Cruise control and Autopilot? Pretty soon we'll have robots racing the bikes for us while we sit in recliners. Friggen lame.
Agreed!!! ABS on a sportbike is not right. For some it maybe good but I dont want it. As long as i have a choice of not getting it.

I dont do them but I believe stoppies will be done for. It will be able to sense the rear tire in the air and adjust the front brake pressure to keep the rear down.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
Unless they figured out a way to keep the bike from shaking while the brakes are fully applied I'll stick to the conventional braking system.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yes, ABS is shite for hard-braking because it makes the pads pulsate, thus inducing chatter on corner entry- NO GOOD. the only way the system would be good is if it was only activated by very very very very close-to-lock braking.

K

·
0 Posts
hey guys, you've got a few misconceptions about sportbike ABS. Firstly, it doesn't pulse. it's completely transparent. i talked with a guy who had his Connie14 on the Road America track back in june and he said he couldn't feel when it was working. also, unless the race organization requires or allows ABS to be used in competition, or weather it will even be a performance edge will have to be addressed at those events. If it makes you slower, get rid of it, right? I'm not really sure what the big deal is anyway, most crashes in road racing competition are front tire washouts that ABS couldn't help with anyway... What makes me wonder is if the system is going to work both ways... spinning up the rear wheel would result in some braking effect... it might be well thought out ABS/TC...

for stunts... well actually ABS wouldn't be a great idea. the back tire would be spinning in the air and the front tire would be spinning slower, which would activate the ABS, rolling burnouts would be impossible.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i disagree. in moto gp, riders often go down from locking the front tire at only about 10-20% lean (dani pedrosa at sachsenring in germany is one example that comes to mind). apparently, the engineers have been working so hard on traction control for the rear, they forgot to think about traction control for the front (ABS) and are just now getting to it. front wheel lock IS a problem in the upper echelons of racing as well as for everyday riders at the track and on the street. just like with traction control, it is a debate about just how much control we want to take away from the rider. with ABS, you can simply slam the brakes and not worry, but that's not really learning to ride properly. so the debate rages on between the traditionalists and the progressives with regard to traction control and ABS (same ideology at work- take control away from the rider).

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
yes, ABS is shite for hard-braking because it makes the pads pulsate, thus inducing chatter on corner entry- NO GOOD. the only way the system would be good is if it was only activated by very very very very close-to-lock braking.
If you would read the article you would know that they do not pulsate the brakes like conventional ABS systems...

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
for stunts... well actually ABS wouldn't be a great idea. the back tire would be spinning in the air and the front tire would be spinning slower, which would activate the ABS, rolling burnouts would be impossible.
Not sure that would be entirely true... Only because they aren't using wheel speed sensors for ABS, sounds like it uses pressure... Not wheel speed...

K

·
0 Posts
Not sure that would be entirely true... Only because they aren't using wheel speed sensors for ABS, sounds like it uses pressure... Not wheel speed...
using pressure alone is a really dumb way to go about ABS. it has to use wheel motion sensors like the connie's do, just a little metal ring no 5mm wide with holes punched out of it and a sensor to 'feel' the magnetic pull.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
using pressure alone is a really dumb way to go about ABS. it has to use wheel motion sensors like the connie's do, just a little metal ring no 5mm wide with holes punched out of it and a sensor to 'feel' the magnetic pull.
Not saying that you're wrong! Just haven't seen any kind of documentation, or verification that, that's how they are getting the input... I agree in the end, that will be the result, which will bring true TC to our bikes also...

But all I see is:
2. Measurement of rider input force on each lever. The ideal brake force on both wheels is generated accordingly, providing optimum distribution and minimising vehicle body reaction.
Leads me to think that it has pressure parameters, and if you exceed them, it will intercede...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts