Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently watched "Twist the throttle" (which you can view on HDTheater if you have it). First one I saw was Honda. Second was Ducati.

Now I found it quite cute that Ducati ONLY talked trash on Honda. Interesting right?

Ducati stated that they have won the most World Superbike championships over any other company, and that they compared themselves and Honda as "David and Goliath". "And David... keeps... winning..." LOL

When was the last time RECENTLY that Ducati has swamped the competition? I'm new to the sportbike world, only been into the racing and watching competitions for 2-3 years now.

I've only scene Honda, Yamaha win mostly.

Watching the show they start to show their Victories, all being back in the day when bikes were really starting to race. So I thought that was funny that they are bragging about older victories till the late 90s.

Also they talked trash on Honda for putting out something like 3 million bikes a year as apposed to their EXCLUSIVE 35,000 a year.

In my opinion it's just another Italian company that thinks they are superior because they are Italian. "Their **** don't stink" kinda thing.

I was just curious what you guys would think about this as I'm sure not EVERYONE has viewed these shows.

Oh yeah and the Ducati owners are not just owners, they are the "Ducatista" which is something like the Ducati enthusiast family lol.

I know they make good bikes but damn are they stuck up. At least that's the opinion I got from watching the show.

What are your opinions on Honda VS Ducati ???

·
Registered
411 Posts
There is a reason there is "Ducati Island" at Laguna Seca. They need to be away from the regular folks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Casey stoner, 2007 moto GP champion ring any bells? Ducati's are great pieces of machinery but I don't think they have the lifespan of a mass production scooter like the honda or any of the other big 3. You gotta ride one is all I gotta say, I do mean RIDE one ie:track, not to the mall. All this is based on my own opinion so don't load the flame guns guy's, i'm just speaking from experience.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Casey stoner, 2007 moto GP champion ring any bells? Ducati's are great pieces of machinery but I don't think they have the lifespan of a mass production scooter like the honda or any of the other big 3. You gotta ride one is all I gotta say, I do mean RIDE one ie:track, not to the mall. All this is based on my own opinion so don't load the flame guns guy's, i'm just speaking from experience.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm POSITIVE they are awesome bikes. I just thought it was funny how they talked so much trash on Honda like they were not even a competitor.

I'd love to own a Ducati... If money wasn't an object that is.

·
Registered
411 Posts
With the way Honda is pricing its new bikes.. Ducati looks closer to ownership then before

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Dragon, when your my age you've ridden, raced and crashed just about all of em'
Yeah you are pretty old... lol j/k just thought of one of my friends saying that.

Of course Ducati is going to have awesome technology, but they talk about their L V-twin like it's godlike. I don't see it. I don't see Ducati winning races recently.

Why should I buy one and pay more for parts when something goes wrong? When I can buy the Honda that has more RECENT wins and costs less to replace?

It seems like a Z06 vette VS a Ferrari. The parts are so much more for the Ferrari and the Vette is just as fast (if not faster) with cheaper parts (compared).

EDIT : Oh I forgot, It's ITALIAN !!! OOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo AAAAHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Why should I buy one and pay more for parts when something goes wrong? When I can buy the Honda that has more RECENT wins and costs less to replace?

i do understand what your saying, how ever i will say that the duc street bikes probably have ALOT more incomon with the race bikes than honda street bikes do with their racing brothers.

which brings to question a question i have had for a long time...

why does winning at the GP level seem to have impact on what bikes are selling? i just dont get the correlation,

i mean, the what, nearly million dollar gp operations have nothing remotely in common with a factory production bike ... aside from the fact they have 2 wheels and are chain driven? :)

</end thread jack>

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
i do understand what your saying, how ever i will say that the duc street bikes probably have ALOT more incomon with the race bikes than honda street bikes do with their racing brothers.

which brings to question a question i have had for a long time...

why does winning at the GP level seem to have impact on what bikes are selling? i just dont get the correlation,

i mean, the what, nearly million dollar gp operations have nothing remotely in common with a factory production bike ... aside from the fact they have 2 wheels and are chain driven? :)

</end thread jack>
Because people want to be associated with a winner. Win on Sunday sell on Monday. Suzuki has dominated AMA in the last decade and they're the most popular sport bikes on the road, coincidence? Ducatis are the most lusted after sport bike in the world. If they didn't have so many championships would that still be the case?

Even though a GP machine doesn't have much to do with the road bikes there's still a correlation made because the manufacturer is the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ducs and Hondas

Ducati's recent race results are a lot better than Honda's and arguably second only to Yamaha.

Ducati won the 2006 and 2008 WSBK championships and very nearly won the 2009 championship as well.

Honda's last championship in MotoGP was in 2006 and that season came down to the last race. In contrast, Ducati dominated the 2007 season and Stoner wrapped up the title with 3 races left on the calendar. Duc/Stoner were contenders in 2008 and they could have been contenders in 2009 were it not for Stoner's mysterious illness. Still, Stoner won 2 of the last 3 races in 2009.

Honda has had really good results on "real roads" racing like the IOM TT, as has Suzuki. It's rare to see a Duc on the podium there.

All that said, I doubt I'll ever buy a Ducati for the street. The ergos on the 848 and 1098/1198 are just a little too hardcore for me and the more versatile bikes like the Monster and Motards are still air-cooled. Not good if you commute in the summertime.

Both are great mfr.s. But if one is buying a bike based on recent road race results, you gotta go Yamaha. 2009 WSBK and 2008-2009 MotoGP championships.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
for one, the ducati looks better. 2nd, is what the ducati comes with, we will pay 4-8k more to put on our bikes. as far as a jap bike lasting longer? supposedly they are making the duc a little easier on the wallet now days. but for canyon riding, the duc (848) delivers what the 600rr wishes it had! if i could get an 848, i would and leave my honda sitting in the garage, or give it to my wife.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm a lover of the Big Red H but I wouldn't kick an 848 out of bed :p
The price though...ouch! My mate spent £1100 on his last Duc service and his clutch is still awful, takes forever to try pull away! And now he needs the belts changing too and thats only down to time not miles!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
just the looks and the technology of the Duc's make me want to get one and now there not that much more than a rival jap bike
i would honestly give up a nut for a brand new white 848:)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts