Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my baby down to Hastings yesterday and although I was only doing 90mph I struggled with the wind. I always find this a
problem so I tuck in. Only for someone to zoom pass me without tucking in. What is the secret?
I put it down to the fact that I'm a girl about 5foot10 weigh about 9 stones. Don't know that in pounds, and can't handle it(wind)that much. I have now started going to the gym to strengthen up.
I also thought it might have somethig to do with me using a textile jacket rather than a leather jacket.
I also have shoei helmet which I think personally let's too much wind in. Is this also a problem or is evey helmet like this.
The guy told me Arai helmets are good for motorway(freeway) riding. But then he told me stomp grips would hurt me if I wasn't wearing leathers. And treid to sell me something else instead of the grips. I didn't buy them and brought the stomp grips. I'm so glad I did. So now I don't know f he's tellingthe truth about the helmet.

Any tips of how to deal with the wind?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You're holding on to the handlebars too tight. The wind always moves your upper body around. If you're holding on too tight, those movements get transmitted directly into the handlebars, causing unwanted steering inputs. You need to keep a very light grip on the bars. Try to ride with your fingertips.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
You're a girl whose 5'10"? That has nothing to do with it. Anyone riding at 145 kph is going to get tossed around a bit regardless.

:needpics:

anyway, I thought the same thing at first when i first started riding but you just get used to it.
I learned to ride on a shadow sabre so when I rode my RR I had already endured crazy wind. It was a total Ab. workout lol

Keep riding, eventually you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, don't get me wrong this is not my first bike and I have been riding for sometime. My first bike was a ninja and I got it from Scotland(331 miles) 2 days after I passed my test. Never again. I ached all over for a few days.
However this has been really annoying me that I struggle with the wind and other people seem to be gliding pass me as if there's no wind. Sometimes I tuck down so much my helmet touches the tank.
I'll make sure I pump 9's instead of 7's in the gym. Lol

·
Registered
991 Posts
Another thing you might want try is looking into a different windscreen. If you are using the stock one, try the double bubble. When I switched I noticed it split the wind a little more so it hit my shoulders and the top of my helmet instead of directly into my neck when sitting up. Its not a massive difference but its noticeable. Honestly though, its bugging everyone else as much as you.

·
Registered
621 Posts
^^ +1 on a new windscreen if you dont already have one, i have the puig DB and i could feel the different at higher speeds. and for the helmet i did noticed that air does get around the visor (shoei RF-1000) and dries my contacts pretty bad.. got a new AGV gp-tech and its better with blocking out the air.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I'm definately gonna change my screen. And after that new helmet. See how we go from there. I too wear contacts and find that they dry up when going fast. Lol. Glad I'm not the only one that has that problem.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i have the cheapest helmet i could find right now. i never tuck in behind the windscreen, but i found that keeping my chin down helps cut off the feeling of the helmet trying to fly off my head at high speed...sort of letting the air rush into the intake vents on top of the helmet...dont know if that makes sense to you

·
Registered
90 Posts
i also found the chin fabric guard thing that comes with my shoei helps more than i expected at both keeping the wind out of my contacts/ face, and with the feeling of the helmet pulling off my head. I also tuck in my chin when popping up after the straight, and applying brakes. helps when you're going 150. otherwise it feels like your head is gonna pick you up off the bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought the wind was going to blow my bike out from under me the first time I felt it up on an open tollway bridge. Literally I thought it was going to lift my bike and it scared me a good bit. Now that I'm comfortable and have been riding through it awhile I just lean into it if it's a crosswind like that and otherwise just tuck and/or deal with the wind blow. Have you considered a double bubble screen? I haven't gotten one yet and I'm 6'2 at about 185 lbs (don't know how many stones). All of my friends tell me it is like a night and day difference in the wind though. However I can't see it making much of a difference for the crosswinds.

·
Registered
785 Posts
i got used to riding into the wind but winds blowing from the side scare the **** out of me.

i feel like i'm going to lose control

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just gotta man-up. Used to commute on a 250 in Dallas for five years. March winds, thunderstorms, did it all. Sixes practically hold their own line in comparison. 40-50MPH gusts blow my car around too. Wind blows, brain corrects, EOS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Damn thank God everyone else is having issues with the wind. I honestly thought that it was just me being a ***** about the situation. I’m 6’2’’ and 240, I consider myself in decent shape (Active Duty AF) and the winds on the Cali coast are kicking my arse. I first thought hey, I can deal with it but when those side winds hit after a mountain clearing ( I live in the Lompoc/Vandenberg AFB Valley) it fuks my head up and I gotta slow down. Looks like I will be buying a double bubble here soon...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Damn thank God everyone else is having issues with the wind. I honestly thought that it was just me being a ***** about the situation. I’m 6’2’’ and 240, I consider myself in decent shape (Active Duty AF) and the winds on the Cali coast are kicking my arse. I first thought hey, I can deal with it but when those side winds hit after a mountain clearing ( I live in the Lompoc/Vandenberg AFB Valley) it fuks my head up and I gotta slow down. Looks like I will be buying a double bubble here soon...
double bubble isn't going to do anything for cross winds. you just gotta lean into it. just stay loose when it hits and then correct.

·
Registered
277 Posts
9 stones = 126 btw

·
Registered
200 Posts
tuck, become the bike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts