Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the bike theft on here lately, which pisses me right the hell off, I have started to think how I can mark my bike or parts for future identification? I don't think paint schemes and flush mounts are enough (i.e - ipeefreely and his dilemma). I know LoJack is great, but not all of us have it, and something more basic might be a good start? We need to have some kinda mark that isn't obvious, but also recognizable without taking the bike apart at all ( like if we went to see some Craiglist "sellers" bike). Frames and Engines seem to be swapped out at times, so we would need a mark on other big items such as swingarm or forks? Something that I could give to another member checking a bike for me?
Hmmm? Something hidden but obvious? Something that a rebuilder won't scratch off or replace? Hmmm?

Any experience or ideas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have a question...with lojack, can cops or anyone else use it to track you if your try and run from them or something similar? do you choose when its activated or is it on and transmitting 24/7??

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
just a random thought, but you could find some colorful ziptie or something and stick it around some of the wiring in front of the left ram air cover. make it look like something that should be there, but something that wouldn't be easily recognized as aftermarket. maybe it's a dumb idea, but hey, for what your asking it might be worth a shot...
i wouldn't think someone would go out of their way to cut off a zip tie that could very easily be stock.

i hope that at least sparks a better idea from someone, haha

·
Registered
273 Posts
One of the first things I do when I buy a bike is to remove all the plastics and, using a hot soldering iron, mark up the insides of the plastics. Use whatever marks you like, I make a series of numbers and letters/symbols to make it look like stock markings. That way if any of my stuff ends up on shebay, I can tell if it's mine, and who's selling it.
As far as hard parts go, small marks/initials here and there in hidden places would probably work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
one time a crime stoppers calander came in the mail and it had with it an ultra violet pen. The idea was to write your name on everything in your house.... TV, stereo, etc.... and the pen is invisible unless you have an ultra violet light... You can also get GPS for your bike, sounds similar to Lo-jack, but thats alot more expensive than a pen, haha

NICK

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
As I cop I'll tell you that cops will only go so far when recoving a bike. They don't care about the turn signals that you put on you bike. If you want to go the extra length. Mark parts with your last 4 of your vin.

Yes, the best thing you an do is keep it in a secure area and have full overage.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
With all the bike theft on here lately, which pisses me right the hell off, I have started to think how I can mark my bike or parts for future identification? I don't think paint schemes and flush mounts are enough (i.e - ipeefreely and his dilemma). I know LoJack is great, but not all of us have it, and something more basic might be a good start? We need to have some kinda mark that isn't obvious, but also recognizable without taking the bike apart at all ( like if we went to see some Craiglist "sellers" bike). Frames and Engines seem to be swapped out at times, so we would need a mark on other big items such as swingarm or forks? Something that I could give to another member checking a bike for me?
Hmmm? Something hidden but obvious? Something that a rebuilder won't scratch off or replace? Hmmm?

Any experience or ideas?
there are those microdot sprays that mark the whole bike , engine chassis swingarm wheels pipe levers everything with the same id number!!!!

easy and effective for future ID!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was gonna post a thread about this, but yeah what options are out there for GPS tracking? I'm putting a full alarm on mine but that doesn't do any good if they do manage to make off with it. Is Lo-Jack a GPS tracker?

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
i have a question...with lojack, can cops or anyone else use it to track you if your try and run from them or something similar? do you choose when its activated or is it on and transmitting 24/7??
LoJack is only on standby mode, not transmitting 24/7. It has to be activated once you find out that your bike is stolen. Once you report that its stolen, then the LoJack company will activate the transmitter on your bike to send a "distress" signal that certain police cars equipped with Lojack recovery equipment can pick up.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
LoJack is only on standby mode, not transmitting 24/7. It has to be activated once you find out that your bike is stolen. Once you report that its stolen, then the LoJack company will activate the transmitter on your bike to send a "distress" signal that certain police cars equipped with Lojack recovery equipment can pick up.
i have lojak on my G6. for a car its a great idea. when they install it, the owner is not allowed to know where the transmitter is for insurance reasons.
they do make a key chain that can go with the lojak that ties in with the system. if the car is started without that keychain the system will send a call and email to you letting you know. then you can decide to call lojak or not.

on a bike look at it this way,
its picked up and thrown into a truck in the middle of the night while you are sleeping. by the time you wake up and notice, the bike is already chopped up and they have located and removed the transmitter and thrown it in a river.

not worth the money for lojak on a bike IMO, best bet is lockable garage, full coverage and receipts for aftermarket parts because i know a lot of insurances will cover those too.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I usually have a new bike apart soon after purchasing, I take an electric pencil and write "Stolen from (your name here). In a not so obvious spot on major components Swing arm, subframe, and randomly here and there and take a few pics and put it on disk and file it.. Ive recovered a few things that way.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
i have lojak on my G6. for a car its a great idea. when they install it, the owner is not allowed to know where the transmitter is for insurance reasons.
they do make a key chain that can go with the lojak that ties in with the system. if the car is started without that keychain the system will send a call and email to you letting you know. then you can decide to call lojak or not.

on a bike look at it this way,
its picked up and thrown into a truck in the middle of the night while you are sleeping. by the time you wake up and notice, the bike is already chopped up and they have located and removed the transmitter and thrown it in a river.

not worth the money for lojak on a bike IMO, best bet is lockable garage, full coverage and receipts for aftermarket parts because i know a lot of insurances will cover those too.
Lojack gives you a bit of "security" only for a few moments/hours and must be reported right away; the sooner the better of course. its better than nothing. besides if a thief wants your bike, they will steal it regardless. having lojack Increases your chances or recovery. so if you don't have it you are just plain screwed.

private garage and full coverage is on my list. next is an alarm and a thick ass chain.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts