Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently wrecked at TWS...

i got an estimate back from the dealership at a whooping $8000. for many reasons i do not want t total the bike and go shop for a new one..

from what i can tell if anything had a scratch on it they wanted to replace it...that's why the bill was so high...

they want to replace my two rims and swing arm because of small scratches....

if i do end up keeping the bike...is there a way for me to verify that the rims and swing arm are indeed just scratched and not bent?...also can i do the same with the forks?...they didn't have any repairs listed regarding the forks...but the bike mainly had front impact...i would like to make sure the forks are good to go...

any advice?

K

·
0 Posts
take the wheel off, rubber and all. take the axle and put it in the wheel. put the wheel between jack stands. with a sturdy platform, put a stick or something near the rim AND KEEP IT THERE. spin the wheel. does the stick ever touch the wheel? if yes, bent. if no, move the stick so that it barely touches the inside of the rim. spin the wheel. does it touch? if yes, bent, if no, it's not bent.

as for fork alignment, you're going to need a flat peice of material and you'll need to rock the forks in the triple. if they rock, it's bent. checking internal damage will require disassembly.

For frame or Swingarm bending... you'll need to ship that out to a specialized shop. you cannot verify that yourself.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
fix it yourself. usually if the rim is bent, you can tell. for the fairings- either get them painted, paint them yourself, or get some ebay fairings. the forks are probably not bent if they don't look bent and the bike rides straight....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take the wheel off, rubber and all. take the axle and put it in the wheel. put the wheel between jack stands. with a sturdy platform, put a stick or something near the rim AND KEEP IT THERE. spin the wheel. does the stick ever touch the wheel? if yes, bent. if no, move the stick so that it barely touches the inside of the rim. spin the wheel. does it touch? if yes, bent, if no, it's not bent.

as for fork alignment, you're going to need a flat peice of material and you'll need to rock the forks in the triple. if they rock, it's bent. checking internal damage will require disassembly.

For frame or Swingarm bending... you'll need to ship that out to a specialized shop. you cannot verify that yourself.
Thanks for the response bro....

Can you explain the process with the forks a little more please...I don't understand what I will be using the flat object for and how to rock them in the triple clamp....

Again...thanks for your help!

K

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the response bro....

Can you explain the process with the forks a little more please...I don't understand what I will be using the flat object for and how to rock them in the triple clamp....

Again...thanks for your help!
you need the flat object to ensure straightness. an uneven surface might hide a bend. and all you really do is lock them in the upper and lower triples (off the bike) and see if the rock back and forth, like an uneven table.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts