Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well it’s on the way to being that time of year again. Cold weather is coming if we like it or not.

The coldest I have ridden in was 26 degree’s and it just was not fun. I was tense the whole time because I was so cold. And the Cold Asphalt is so Sketchy. Sometimes feels like I'm on ice.

If it’s below about 40 I just don’t ride.

But, I have friends who have actually ONLY had a bike for transportation. And they rode to work when it was snowing out. Somehow didn't bust their A$$.

So what's your take? What's too cold to ride? Or What conditions cause you to just not go out?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i usually put the bike away first couple weeks of november. once you start seeing frosts and daytime temps barely breaking 40. it's not the temp that bothers me to bad, for me is riding along into a low lying dip in the road and finding frost or ice. no thanks, i'll just wait until spring and ride when the road isn't trying to kill me...just the people using the road are :crackup:

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Below that it feels like someone stabbing you in the throat :crackup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I get free parking at work for driving a motorcycle so I drive as long as the roads are clear of snow and ice. I load up on layers and gear though.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
As long as it's free of ice I'll pretty much ride anytime here in Austin. We rarely ever see temps below 30.

·
Not really asian
677 Posts
If its a decent ride home after work in the afternoon, Ill ride to work if its 30 degrees in the morning. Im bundled up enough now for it not to be too annoying. Frosty eyeballs on interstate speeds are the last thing I need to figure out. Under 30, ill usually drive.

I ride at these times mainly to keep mileage off the car. At only 1500-2000 miles a year now, seems like an old acura will last forever.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It depends on where you are at b/c of the humidity. The cold here sucks, but up north where its drier cold I can deal with. I've been out in the 50s here and looked like a marshmallow man doing it

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
frost and ice are my only deterent. -8 is the coldest ive recorded on a ride.

and getting stuck in a snow storm on SC2's is not fun LoL

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
For me, the issue is ice on the road, or rather, the possibility of ice on the road. If it's below zero and has been raining/snowing or there was a lot of dew followed by a temperature drop, I don't ride.

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
still riding for a few more weeks up in Alaska, has not snow yet. we still get good mid 40 degrees in the afternoon. ridable, in the morning, it gets to 20 or 30 cold

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
frost and ice are my only deterent. -8 is the coldest ive recorded on a ride.

and getting stuck in a snow storm on SC2's is not fun LoL
lol Vince ya crazy bastard :p anything at or around freezing im off the road, ( End of October ) for the most part. :( 1 month left. But then i have 6months to figure out what to buy :banger:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rode my Kawasaki Ninja 250R year round. I'd ride 20-30F with little issue until I hit ice in December 2010. Those Michelin Roads were amazing tires. Fixed her up and rode her for the rest of January, February, and into the spring ;) Bundle up and cover all of the skin! Now that I have my CBR600RR, my threshold is around 60F for the daily high. Below that, I'd rather not ride. When I had the Ninja, it was my only vehicle, so I hardly had a choice, but I seriously enjoyed it.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
lol Vince ya crazy bastard :p anything at or around freezing im off the road, ( End of October ) for the most part. :( 1 month left. But then i have 6months to figure out what to buy :banger:

i lost my extra parking spot on sunday, so i dont even have a bike in ottawa. the aprilia is stored already and the vulcan is getting stored next weekend. if i wasnt working in this crap city, id keep my bikes on the road until it started snowing.

polar fleece and rain gear and your GTG!!!

·
Banned
179 Posts
I feel like I can ride in the coldest temp in my River Road Hoodlum Vintage leather jacket with the liner in it. I can't feel the wind at all in the jacket and wearing jeans under my Vega Octane pants keeps me warm. Just wear a good turtle neck and good leather gloves for cold weather and you will be fine. I have one of those chin wind deflectors on my scorpion helmet to keep the wind out.

I will be riding in the winter as long as the roads are clear and the forecast is clear for the day. Just avoid riding in the morning and at night and you will have no problem. As long as these conditions are met and you are wearing good cold weather gear I don't see why you should not ride.

PS- These 600rr inline 4 engines keep you nice and toasty.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow you guys are all crazy! I rode my bike this morning at like 37F and I thought I was tough haha. That 10 min ride to work sucked nuts though! My roommate and I have a bet to see who can ride the longest, and something tells me I'm gonna lose.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts