Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
assuming you're riding at the track - it will be too cold for you to ride comfortably before it really has an affect on the tires. The heat is generated by friction with the track surface and the wheel spins fast enough that air temperature will bother you more than it does the tire. Track surface temperature is another matter but the tire will stay hotter than the track in cooler conditions.

Often, especially in Florida, the opposite concern of the track and tire becoming too hot at the end of a long session or race that the tire becomes so hot that it slides very different than at the beginning of the session.

Dunlops will give you feedback before they slip, as will Metzlers and Pirellis - you might not get the same opinion about Michelins but each rider and circumstance is different. At any rate, when I'm starting with room temperature tires at a trackday I go 3 laps to heat up tires before stepping up to 8/10ths.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
At any rate, when I'm starting with room temperature tires at a trackday I go 3 laps to heat up tires before stepping up to 8/10ths.
I noticed that. I was giving the Pirellis 3/4 of a lap. It seemed to work. I have heard othe rbrands heat up much slower.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Roadkill said:
At what temperature does it become dangerous to drag knees in the corners on regular street tires (208's for example)?

What about in the street?
At any temperature.... :bitchslap: It's always dangerous to drag a knee on the street. You just don't know what will be waiting for you around the corner... it could be just fine, but there could also be a patch of oil, some gravel, road kill, your friendly neighborhood critter, or other obsticals... If you're cranked over so far that you're drag'n your knee you're not going to be able to react appropriately to avoid an incident...

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Fresh out of the garage if you're on the street :bitchslap:

Don't drag knees on the street, take it to the track...

...except for all you Cali Paolmer riders...you squids ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts