Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very strict on the bike I want (08 red and black color scheme with lowish miles (under 10k) looking mint and at a reasonable price ~6,500 or less))

But I feel like my standards are too high. Should I lower them or will the supply greatly improve in the summer and the right bike will come along... Keep in mind I do plan on owning the bike for the next 5+ years which is why I've been so anal.

I live in Massachusetts btw, I'm thinking about just going for the cheapest one I can find in decent condition and then buying chinese fairings since they seem to look pretty good too.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,767 Posts
If you are anal don't even consider Chinese fairings.

Yes. Come spring more bikes will show up on the market. Especially with the exciting new 2015 models coming

·
Registered
101 Posts
As Wibbly stated, mint condition and chinese fairings don't go together. Or any fairing aside from OEM.

But I agree with TheX, you should've have to settle. With what you have listed, I don't feel you're asking too much. It's definitely out there, you just have to be patient. I recently saw a mint condition '08 CBR with less then 400 miles on it on my local Craigslist. Overall condition of the bike leads me to believe that it is truly only 400 miles. Owner got into a car accident after he bought the bike and wasn't able to ride since. Just be patient.

·
Registered
433 Posts
the supply will go up come spring+summer. you're standards aren't that high, but you might have to wait a little longer than you want to. just keep checking every day or so. i was eager to pull the trigger, i think we all are. they say your bike finds you. let it. cause if you go for the first thing you see you may regret it. i waited until i found exactly what i wanted with both of my bikes and was very happy with the end result both times. plus on top off all that by waiting longer you get better knowledge on what good deals are vs. not so good deals

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the supply will go up come spring+summer. you're standards aren't that high, but you might have to wait a little longer than you want to. just keep checking every day or so. i was eager to pull the trigger, i think we all are. they say your bike finds you. let it. cause if you go for the first thing you see you may regret it. i waited until i found exactly what i wanted with both of my bikes and was very happy with the end result both times. plus on top off all that by waiting longer you get better knowledge on what good deals are vs. not so good deals
Great advice,

I'm in no rush. I just get so excited when I think about getting a cbr600rr. I'll often find myself sitting their looking at pictures of them online and just marvel at their beauty. I sat on over 6 of them from 4 different dealers and they always felt better than any other bike there... it just feels like they were made for me or something haha.

But you are right.. I must be patient, even though I'd love any bike, I want to take a little time to find the exact one.. I just really hope it's this summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why is everyone so butt hurt about buying aftermarket fairings instead of the out of date oem ones? Is it just one of those things like jeeps have haha

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Why is everyone so butt hurt about buying aftermarket fairings instead of the out of date oem ones? Is it just one of those things like jeeps have haha
Why is this no0b assuming anyone is butt hurt? We don't like the crappy quality, and terrible fit. People come here asking questions, and we share experiences with them. They go out and buy the cheap sh1t anyway, then come back crying about how sh1tty they are.

Sh1tty things are sh1tty, go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Then let them learn or give advice instead of being a douche bout it
Everyone was giving advice... I dont know where you thought anyone was being a douche about it.

Aftermarket fairings are not near as good as oem. Plain and simple. Get oem and you'll be happy with the results instead of getting aftermarket and then eventually going oem. Cutting corners will eventually cost more in the end in SOME circumstances, this being one of them.

OP, as said by everyone else, I dont think your standards are too high and you should find what you are looking for. Best advice I've seen in this thread is how you need to look at the market for a little while to identify the good vs bad deals. I over paid for my bike by quite a bit but I didnt know what bikes were going for at the time. Had I done more research I probably would've ended up with a different bike that was more reasonable in price.

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I just reread all of the responses and can't figure out where you got the impression that anyone was butt hurt? Instead it seems that you probably have cheap aftermarket fairings on your bike and read someones comment about them and got butt hurt yourself. :poke:

You won't last long here being a troll

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally I just don't like the outdated color schemes. Plain and simple. I have painted oem plastics. I guess that's why they have forums, so everyone can put in their two cents no matter what comes out.

·
Registered
940 Posts
OP I was in the same boat with my first bike where the only one I would have settled for was a white and silver 07 with 5k miles or less for around 5k. I missed a couple but ended up eventually getting one with 7200 miles for $5200. Keep looking your goals are not unattainable. Good luck

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP I was in the same boat with my first bike where the only one I would have settled for was a white and silver 07 with 5k miles or less for around 5k. I missed a couple but ended up eventually getting one with 7200 miles for $5200. Keep looking your goals are not unattainable. Good luck
Thank you. I'm definitely motivated, I've been checking craigslist all winter hahaha.

As to everyone else... I'd prefer not to get chinese fairings, it was mainly just a thought. I saw a few videos and reviews and people said the quality was surprisingly not so bad, which is why I was willing to jump on it. I think i'm just gonna be patient though and look for the correct ones... either that or smash the piggy bank for some OEM fairings haha

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Thank you. I'm definitely motivated, I've been checking craigslist all winter hahaha.

As to everyone else... I'd prefer not to get chinese fairings, it was mainly just a thought. I saw a few videos and reviews and people said the quality was surprisingly not so bad, which is why I was willing to jump on it. I think i'm just gonna be patient though and look for the correct ones... either that or smash the piggy bank for some OEM fairings haha
First off, I completely believe someone should get what they want if they're paying with cash they spent time saving and I understand why you'd want an '08 (or '07 because of power output vs 09+) and the under 10k miles has logic behind it also...but from what I've read and seen, skip on the cheap-o fairings because they don't have that oem fit.

I'd modify your search to include 07's as well because IIRC the 08's have that no features or changes vs 07's and unlike cars (I've seen it happen more than with bikes) the first year of a new generation isn't necessarily riddled with problems...you're looking for a body style & ecu program only produced for 2 years, 7-8 years ago, and are arguably the most sought after amongst all CBR's so far, so mileage wouldn't be an infallible litmus test (imo) as to the current running condition; the history of previous owners should be considered.

Fairings get damaged and changing them out is easier than rebuilding engines, transmissions, front forks or the rear shock...plus it's less stressful to practice drilling holes for the frame sliders on fairings you don't care much about vs hoping you don't mess up a set in your dream scheme.

So if I were you I'd prioritize the parts of your search in this order

1. 2007-08
2. Documented maintenance history
3. Current physical condition/appearance of it & existing mods (half-ass install or not?) if it looks neglected, it probably has been so why waste time?
4. Condition of what can't be seen: fluids and if possible a compression/leak down test (offsets mileage significance imo)
5. Mileage
6. Color scheme.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
OP I hear you and DON'T settle, you'll always look back and not be as happy or what has happened to me was the "right" bike became available right after I settled. I have, however, had to change what my "right" bike was to get something I wanted in the timeframe I needed. I know that doesn't make sense but basically what I'm saying is maybe reconsider what your perfect bike is and don't feel that you're "settling" on something you didn't initialky want.

Couple things to ponder:

- 07/08 are great bikes with no changes between them, expand your search to both years unless there is something specific to the 08 color scheme you like. Personally I LOVE the 07 blue in person but it never translates how deep and metallic it is in pictures.

- the "downgrade" to the power of the 09+ bikes is VERY minor and easily addressed by an ECU swap to an 07/08 or use a TPS retarding device like a Zbomb for $50 and get your top end back. The added midrange of the newer style is actually a nice overlooked feature, FYI and how often are you really WOT? And for looks the 7/08 lowers bolt on with a $3 bracket and look incredible with the newer style paint jobs they have on the 09+ bikes. Take advantage of the BS that perpetuates in this sport and instead of paying top dollar for an older bike, pay peanuts for a nice newer one far easier to find in a low mileage example.

- don't be scared of a bike with over 10k miles on it. I'd far prefer a bike with 25k and a solid maintenance history over a bike with 5k and nothing. These bike will literally run FOREVER with proper care. 15-20k is fine, 25-30k is where you start to need to address mileage related items like bearings and clutches but even that stuff is fairly minor and really pretty easy to fix. Read through the troubleshooting thread about all the running problems these older, low mileage guys are having because they leave old fuel sitting in the tank which screws up the fuel pumps and injectors. Sitting is worse than running and an 08 with 5k on it got less than 1000 miles a year put on it.

- reread the reviews for the Chinese fairings with an eye of what's really being said: every one says "they are not that bad" meaning while they might be ok, they are subpar to oem. Their biggest drawback isn't how good they look initially but how they look after being removed 5 times and after you get bug guts splattered on them. I've installed several sets on bikes including my own; they work fine, but are not OEM quality which will last years and many removals.

Take your time, look around and the right bike will come. Local guy just bought the exact one you described wanting for I think around $5500 so they're there, you just have to wait or try more distant craigslist ads.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's the exact bike I bought, mine originally came from mass too. 08 red and black with 9025 miles for $6500

·
Registered
68 Posts
i lucked out and just picked up a 11 with only 2,371 miles from a stealership! i literally have to finish breaking this in after 4 years of possible storage? bike still has a military base decal so I'm assuming the prior owner was deployed for all those years came back and traded it in for a 1000rr I'm guessing lol. yeah my advice is look around dealerships close to military bases, thats where you will find low miles with 2 inch chicken strips lol.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
i lucked out and just picked up a 11 with only 2,371 miles from a stealership! i literally have to finish breaking this in after 4 years of possible storage? bike still has a military base decal so I'm assuming the prior owner was deployed for all those years came back and traded it in for a 1000rr I'm guessing lol. yeah my advice is look around dealerships close to military bases, thats where you will find low miles with 2 inch chicken strips lol.
It could just be an area with few twisties and it was just ragged out in a straight line...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts