Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curios as to how everyone learned to ride...

how old were you and who taught you?

for myself: I never rode a bike or an atv or dirtbike or antything. I got my CBR 600 F3 and taught myself to ride. I stated just learning the basics at real slow speeds. braking,shifting,cornering. i had my permit while i did all of this, then while i still had my permit, I started riding by myslef. anyways, im just curious as to how you all learned and started riding..

self taught or someone teach you and how quick or anything you want to add

thanks.

U

·
0 Posts
Rode all sorts of ATC's, dirt bikes, and ATV's growing up and always wanted to have a crotch rocket since I was 7. Life got hectic and I stopped riding 2 wheeled machines for a few years until last year at the ripe old age of 25 I just decided to go for it and took an MSF cource, now I'm here.

C

·
0 Posts
First bike 2001 F4i at 21 years of age. Taught myself to ride. Rode just around the block a lot on it at first. Nice and easy. Then once I insured it and got a license, I took it out of the neighborhood and it is history from there. Did dump it once though...I guess it is part of the learning experience.

·
Registered
257 Posts
First bike was when I was 22. It was a 1999 r6. I never drove stick before. So I finally got the bike...suited up all my gear...jumped on..turned the key..

then called my buddy to ask him what to do next. went around the neighborhood a few times in 1st gear...then when i realized i wouldn't stall by shifting gears, i was gone!

·
Registered
937 Posts
MSF course @ 23. Dropped a bike DURING the exam. Failed the exam. Then got my zx6R, took the DMV test and havent dropped a bike since.

RR is my second bike, and I'm pushing 6000 total miles under my belt, but i still feel like a novice.

Rode this weekend... i still take it easy. Not embarassed to say it :bounce:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I never rode prior to Oct. 1990. A friend game me an old Hon100 enduro that didnt run. I got it to run, then rode it around a back parking lot a bit. I knew the theory on riding but had never done it. Mar 91 took and MSF course, mid 93 became a MSF instr/coach. Went to the track once in 99, 2x in 2000, 8x in 01 and in 02 became a TPM Track Coach. Now its like 25+ times a year and still doing about 20 MSF courses a year.

C

·
0 Posts
nj600rr said:
i still take it easy. Not embarassed to say it :bounce:
Likewise. This is my second bike since the F4i. I know I have a LOT of learning to do so I dont push past my limits.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Taught myself on a 600 f2. Always wanted to ride and din't want to wait for someone to teach me, so I said f**k it. The 600rr is my second bike. Been riding for a bout 3 years now.

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"ride for yourself.. dont try to impress anyone" that is the best advice i have ever gotten from one of my best friends who has been riding for over 20years

i still take it easy.. im not embarssed to say that!

·
Registered
70 Posts
well, I guess im the newest to the sport here, I have been riding dirt bikes for 8 years now and had always wanted to get a street bike, I read about the 600rr and nothing sounded better, so I bought mine about a month ago, the transition was pretty smooth, plenty of differences, but still comfey on it, and loving every second.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got my first bike about 3 years ago, a friend was selling his 94 600f2, and I thought what the hell. I had ridden 4 wheelers and have always driven "stick", so got on the f2 and rode it around the neighbourhood a few times, gradually got braver until riding anywhere wasn't a problem.

I believe that its good to fear the machine and fear what could happen, once a person stops fearing it, that's when they start doing really stupid things that gets them killed.

·
Registered
749 Posts
had not been on a bike for like 12 years, got the RR in may of 03'. Dropped it once with 716 miles on it (hence the name) and kinda took to it like a fish in water. i ride within my limits, just trying to figure out what they are.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dirt bikes when younger, although I would say that only really taught me the mechanics of shifting, etc. I'm sure it helped, but there was so much more to learn.

I bought an SV650S and just about every book on performance street riding I could get my hands on. The key is just practice. I'm in my second year now and I have about 6k miles of experience. Every trip to the mountains I learn something new and try to apply another point that I have read.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Have a long history since 3 years of age on ATV's then when I was 9 had a Suzuki DS 80 dirtbike. At 15 I had a Suzuki 125 Enduro that I used to get around everywhere. Then at 17 I had a 1995 TW 200. Looked like this one but It was blue and orange.

At 23 I missed the whole bike thing again and decided to get a good 600. Now I'm here. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Crash716 said:
had not been on a bike for like 12 years, got the RR in may of 03'. Dropped it once with 716 miles on it (hence the name) and kinda took to it like a fish in water. i ride within my limits, just trying to figure out what they are.
thats a sweet lean in your avatar, fish to water eh!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts