Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine just got his first street bike(05 gsxr600).I had to talk him out of getting the 750. Since the day he picked it up I've been warning him about the dangers of riding. Telling him how easy it is to be seriously hurt or killed if you not smart. I even made him read some of the treads in the crash boom forum.

About a week ago to took a short ride with him, he behaved pretty well, no speeding or doing anything stupid.

He's keeping the bike at my shop cuz he doesn't have a garage. So every time he comes to get it to go for a ride he tells me about a little wheelie he did or how he just wants to OPEN IT UP. My brother happed to see him Saturday night, he was bragging about going 125mph on 476 (here in Phila). When I herd this I was like WTF.

So here's my problem, what do I say to this kid to get him to slow down before he hurts himself? Or someone else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

One more thing, the both off us are taking the MSP March 31. I've been riding street bikes for 6 years and never thought about taking the course till now. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Darwin will slow him.

In the mean time, humble him. SIgn up for a track day. Let him get instruction and learn about safety gear. When he sees someone have a 100mph lowside, he will rethink 100mph on the street.

Also, he may actually learn bike control is more important than speed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Darwins at work, don't disturb him, the gene pool is very cluttered and darwins trying to filter it out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ask em what happens when he scares a crow outta the ditch at 125+mph n' it catches em square forehead. Happened to me just saturday. I wasn't goin real fast but it still shocked me retarded being the bird basicly jumped straight up otuta the ditch into my line of sight just in time to stream up to my visor n' give me a good whack. Happened to fast to do anything about it. Animals alone keep me from goin super fast on even the longest, straightest, smoothest roads around.

My fears...
Straight roads = small animals commin outta the ditches... BIRDS!
Curved Roads = Deer just standing in the road on the far end of the corner....

With that in mind I've got some track days lined up so I can look stupid isntead of dead.

H

·
0 Posts
sadly enough there is nothing that you can do about it.. i had a buddy that tried so hard to keep up with more experienced riders.. trying wheelies.. etc.. eventually he looped the bike and almost slid into a telephone pole.. the only good that came of this is that he is not riding anymore... he would have killed himself on a bike..

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
He must not have seen enough videos yet. You need to put together a little "Faces of Death" video for him to watch. Like the one where the criminal in Italy tries to flee on a sportbike and the police car pulls right out in front of him doing about 50-60mph. Or the one where the deer jumps out in front of other guy doing about 25mph. Don't forget about the one where the guy tries to pass a car on the outside, in a curve, between the car and a guard rail and wipes out.

Make sure your standing behind him so when he to says.."I could just..." you kick him in the ass as hard as you can and yell..."NO YOU CAN'T MEATHEAD!!" :bitchslap: "SLOW DOWN!!"

If that doesn't work then I'd stop riding with him. Who wants to see there friends brains splattered all over the road?

·
Registered
278 Posts
maybe if hes not "afraid" of being hurt, go on the money side of the issue.

-theres the cost of being hurt, if ur not dead

-i just turned 25 and since i had no tickets, cuase im too paranoid to speed alot, my insurance went from 115 a month to 18 bucks a month. ill take paranoid over getting a ticket any day. going fast is fun but ill save it for the track.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Take him to a trackday. He'll realize just how useless and boring it is to ride like a maniac in the city. The worst thing that can happen is he becomes a better rider. And if he still rides like a maniac, then he'll have to teach himself a lesson. It's either gonna hurt his wallet or his body or both.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Get him on the boards. He'll hear enough horror stories to get him thinking. That's what happened to me (altho I can still be an idiot at times on the street when the risks are low). A buddy in his modded Golf and I were out on the highways the other weekend, it was pretty late at night so there weren't any cars around. We were messing around for a while, him passing me, me passing him, I stopped f'cking around when I looked down and realized that I was going 135.

What saves me from doing stupid **** (besides myself..) is insurance rates, crashes, and a broken bike. I don't have the money for any of that stuff.

·
Registered
546 Posts
resistors wired into the fuel pump harness; let his bike deliver a good deal less gas than his wrist is expecting. ;-)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts