Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my gas cap off for powerdercoating and complete removal required the key. Well, now the damn key is in the gas cap and won't come out. It won't turn and I had already tried to pinch the latches to turn the key, but nothing. AND I searched here and the wonderful search fucktion didn't even turn anything up for 'gas'. go figure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you gotta put the cap back on the tank, tighten down a couple of screws, close the cap, push down and twist key out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
On the side with the latches, there is a ring just below the latches where there is a rubber gasket that covers a metal ring. Anyway, if you push down on that ring the key will turn and pop out.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jbell said:
you gotta put the cap back on the tank, tighten down a couple of screws, close the cap, push down and twist key out.
uh yeah, but then your latch is down in the tank and the whole point is to get the cap off.

clobato said:
On the side with the latches, there is a ring just below the latches where there is a rubber gasket that covers a metal ring. Anyway, if you push down on that ring the key will turn and pop out.
I still have to take it apart to take it to the powerdercoater.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, once the gas cap is off the bike, push down on the ring below the the latches. That will allow you to get the key out. Then lift up the rubber gasket by the latches and remove the large metal ring/washer. Under the ring/washer are three screws that hold the locking mechanism to the cover. Once the locking mechanism is off, there are two screws and a metal clip that hold the little flap that covers the key hole on. Remove the two screws, and pull out the hinge pin for the flap, and it will come off. When I had my gas cap powdercoated, I left the large ring that bolts to the tank and the large cover together. The powdercoater didn't have any trouble powdercoating it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts