Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a brand new 2009 CBr600 green/black and it has 0 miles on it before i ride it i want to break it in properly and was wondering how should i go about doing this?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
hard accellerations & decelerations not exceeding 10k rpms, change the oil after 25 miles & do it again till 200 miles then change again & then beat the piss out of it. The hard accell & decel will help create pressure in the cylinder and this helps to seat the rings better ;)

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
There is alot of debate about this, But IMO, for the first 60 miles you shouldn't go above 8000rpm. after that, ride it like you you would on your regular day.. (if you are a pure track rider > you should tear into it... if you are a casual street rider > you should break it in casually... if you are a canyon rider > you should break it in like you are riding the canyons)

Then change the oil after 600 miles

·
Registered
499 Posts
You've just opened a can of worms. No one knows best, but what follows (and what preceeds) will be everyone's personal opinion. Here is mine (this is assuming you're going to be doing a lot of the maintenance yourself, otherwise the dealer should do all of this, and maybe more):

Relatively adhere to what the manual says. No hard accellerating/excessive revving for the first what, say 400 miles (minimum)? Keep the RPM responsibile at all times, but also keep it varied. First oil change (to full synthetic) at 600 miles and I'd personally do it again at 1k miles--2k miles if you aren't OCD like me. Also keep an eye on the oil level between the two oil changes as new bikes have a tendency to use oil during the break-in period.

One other thing, keep your chain CLEAN and LUBED. If you start early (can't start much earlier than on a brand new bike) your chain will serve you well and serve you long. I CLEAN and LUBE mine every 1-2 weeks, which usually works out to less than 200 miles. I emphasize cleaning because a lot of people ignore this step. I.E. the previous owner of the '06 600 i just bought. Chain was positively disgusting--but well lubed. Invest in a grunge brush if you have not already. It's a staple.

Also at the 600 mi. service interval, be sure to check over all your fasteners (particular fairing) to check for loose ones. Torque the major important bolts like your axle bolts, and axle pinch bolts, top triple clamp bolt.. You can check your oil drain bolt, but unless some idiot was asleep at the factory there is no reason that should ever come loose until you loosen it to change the oil.

Hope I covered everything. Maintenance is one of my favorite things about having a motorcycle. It's my Happy Place.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Someone should go dig up a link to the other thread. I think I read one on here that was like 10 pages long. Use the search function cause there is a ton of good info in that thread with a lot more technical data to support claims as opposed to "in my opinion". Either way there is a huge debate on this and you are going to get a lot of differing opinions on this one.

·
Registered
247 Posts
when I got my bike, the guys at the Honda dealer told me to keep it under 9k rpm and do not accelerate hard for the first 300 miles. And to change the oil after the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Everyone is going to have different opinions on this but there are a few constants from what I've read.
-Changing the oil early definately can't hurt. I changed mine after 100 miles, then after 600.
-Avoid driving at a constant speed/rpm for long periods of time. Always vary the RPM's.
-Accelerate to a certain RPM (say 8000) in any gear and then close the throttle and let the bike slow itself down (compression braking-do not pull in clutch) down to 1000-2000 rpm. Then do it again. Allegedly this helps better seat the piston rings.

Keep an eye on the tire pressure and keep the chain clean and lubed.

This is pretty much what I do. There is a good write-up in a book called "101 sportbike performance projects". If I could find where I put it I would include some bullet points.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
drain the oil and keep it at the redline for no less than 14 minutes. after that put baking soda and vineger in the oil fill. run at redline for 21 minutes. that should do it right

·
Registered
60 Posts
drain the oil and keep it at the redline for no less than 14 minutes. after that put baking soda and vineger in the oil fill. run at redline for 21 minutes. that should do it right
i just blew my engine up doing that...maybe i did it wrong ill try it again my motor should be here in a week

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
i just blew my engine up doing that...maybe i did it wrong ill try it again my motor should be here in a week

hmmm...if you followed the directions just like i said i cant see why?

was the ambient air temp between -25 and 110 F
you didnt use balsalmic vin did you? cuz that shite just wont work.
:crackup:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Dude, I just tried that. The bike turned itself off way before 14 minutes. Now it wont start. Did I kill the battery?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
jfuggint has it right imo... go and immediately read the mototune website he sent you.... it is right on and agrees w/what the old pro (see below) says.

Doug Chandler (google his name) has a tuner shop nearby and iasked him how he would brk-in a moto and he said "put it on the dyno and start running it up and down the rpm range @ 1/2 to 3/4 throttle afew times and then start doing the same thing @ 3/4to full throttle for about 10 runs.( I didnt get rpms but not to redline... maybe 10K rpms?).

(Apologies to D.C. @ DC-10 if i did not get above right)

D.C. did not have shop open last Feb. so I followed instructions for street break in
from Mototune website,changed oil and filter @50,150,300 miles.
dealer first service @ 600 miles.
put synth in @ 2500.
chg oil (Mobil1)and fltr @2500-3000 miles

now 10 k miles and running good

try Bstone BT -016 @ 32/30 psi (f/r)

·
Registered
25 Posts
i don't believe there is a right way. the manufact. says take it easy first 100miles, but the reality is they dyno those bikes before they come to the consumer. that menas they wrap it open and go hard on the dyno. it's pretty broken in already.

i thiink they tell you this so you don't kill yourself. and get use to the bike. before you actually kill yourself

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
you ride it, how you intend to ride it

it will help every thing seat to that and prolong its life

1 - 18 of 18 Posts