Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we had an avg windspeed of 27mph and gusts up to 37-40mph.

I rode the bike because I could at least see the sun! to me... that means get on the bike and ride it to work. But the crosswinds were insane.

The wind throws me around and I feel fine while riding in it and tuck a bit more when going past an open space.

Does anyone else have any tips while riding in the wind?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I live in one of the windiest places in the world, Wellington New Zealand. I rode home from work yesterday in torrential rain and wind gusting to 50 knots or almost 60mph. I find it's just a question of not letting it get to you. If you tense up and grip the handlbars with a death grip you could be in trouble. I just try to relax and go with it and that seems to work. It's not fun though and I would not ride in winds like that if I did not have to.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noticed that. When I first really experienced the crosswinds I used to grip harder. I also noticed that the wind is worse in the cold. I got my bike in April and in the mornings it was 30*F and when it was windy it was way worse than it is in the warmth. Stay loose and yeah... don't let it bother you. Great tips! Thanks Maki

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have noticed that. When I first really experienced the crosswinds I used to grip harder. I also noticed that the wind is worse in the cold. I got my bike in April and in the mornings it was 30*F and when it was windy it was way worse than it is in the warmth. Stay loose and yeah... don't let it bother you. Great tips! Thanks Maki
Your right about the temperature thing. Cold air is heavier than warm air, so cold air moving at a given speed will exert more force on you than warm air moving at the same spead. After all, Newton says force equalls mass times accelaration.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i grip harder and lean into the wind ahahah i remember i was leaning like this one time \
that was to go striaght ahahha

·
Registered
137 Posts
i grip harder and lean into the wind ahahah i remember i was leaning like this one time \
that was to go striaght ahahha
That might work in a steady wind in an open area. Where I live the wind is gusty and unpredictable. If I gripped hard and leant into the wind I would just fall down when the wind died down a bit.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That might work in a steady wind in an open area. Where I live the wind is gusty and unpredictable. If I gripped hard and leant into the wind I would just fall down when the wind died down a bit.
agreed! In a constant wind you can get used to any style of riding as long as its constant. with the gusts... being relaxed and aware is the best way to go :)

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
lol leaning like this / hahaha, i grip the tank with my legs and loosen the grip on the handlebars so that when the bike leans my body moves with it but the front wheel isn't affected too much.

K

·
0 Posts
Road America on a windy day you aim your bike after turn 2 to the far far left.

you end up on the far right.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The winds in my area aren't usually too bad, but we get winter storms with 35-40mph sustained winds and gusts to 60+ at times. The main thing you need to do is dress for the wind. As long as you are comfortable, wind is just another variable to equate into your riding.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
today, we had a very high temps, lots of sun, and really high winds...........maybe 15-20 mph gusts and some 15 mph sustained

I handled the riding well, i did about 150 miles total.

when i first got my bike, the wind did affect me (and make me anxious) more than it does now, mainly because I hadn't yet developed the sub-conscious countersteering inputs that i believe are important for safely and effectively riding in the wind. even gusts from passing semis and dump trucks (2 lane roads in maine) would kind of scare me early on

over time, i developed subconscious awareness of what steering inputs to use to compensate for whichever way the wind gusts try to push me and the bike

when cornering, it is especially impt to have the ability to compensate for wind forces because they may push u off ur cornering line

·
Registered
882 Posts
i just play with the bike...let the wind take me a little off course then adjust accordingly...that way i don't get surprised by gusts and overreact.
i live in chicago by the way...you know what the city is known for...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I hit the high winds when going over the bridge ever day...I just squat down on the bike and throttle.....I rip into the wind and have very little problems...When I go slow the wind tries to throw me around and I find myself fighting the wind more....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts