• Other- Please explain

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the market for my second bike. I live in southern Maryland, and the best shopping is in the DC and surrounding area which is anywhere from 1 to 3 hours away from me. I have an old Pennsylvania plate that is registered until April 2009, so the plate looks legit. However if I throw that on a new bike to get it home, I could be a ripe target for a cop no matter how good my riding. To answer my question, would you guys put an out of state plate on a bike and ride it home? Remember the plate appears legitimate(was from my ninja 250). Also, if not, what would you recommend? How do you guys get a new bike home?
This is a new USED bike! Private sale. sorry for the confusion

D

·
0 Posts
Rent a truck or ask a friend who owns a pickup to help you get the bike.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No, don't put any plates on it, just leave the dealer tag on it and ride it home. You don't need to have plates as long as you have the DMV paperwork with you that the dealer will give you.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I dont understand why you would need to put a plate from another bike on a new bike?? Its brand new it doesnt require a plate. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I dont understand why you would need to put a plate from another bike on a new bike?? Its brand new it doesnt require a plate. Am I missing something here?
From what I read he wants to ride the new bike home which is not possible legally on an unregistered bike. I believe you can get In Transit papers for a new bike which allows you to ride it from one set location to another and they are only good for a set time. May want to look into that!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ok its a used new bike. Makes a little more sense. In that case tow it home. Its not going to be any different getting pulled over by a cop with fake plates or no plate/registration.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
ride it home, atleast in michigan you have 48 hours that you can drive without needing a plate when buying a new or used vehicle. of course if you buy new you get a paper plate so really isnt an issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the bike doesen't have a plate from the orig owner on it??? Get a signed bill of sale from the owner, put it in your back pocket and ride it.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Either find someone to haul it or have the seller deliver it. Do not ride it without a tag unless you have active insurance from the moment you leave their driveway. If you do, write up a bill of sale and hand it to an officer if you get stopped.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Either find someone to haul it or have the seller deliver it. Do not ride it without a tag unless you have active insurance from the moment you leave their driveway. If you do, write up a bill of sale and hand it to an officer if you get stopped.
I have 30 days to notify my insurance company when I purchase a new vehicle. I will, however call my agent with the VIN before going to pick it up. It's not a big deal. Just call your agent, ride it home with the previous owners tag and the title and bill of sale in your pocket.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the dealer deliver it

Oh sorry. Umm I would probably just put your old plate on it or use theirs, depending on how far it was. If more than a 10 minutes I'd find another way.

They rent motorcycle trailers at the uhaul here too, theyre pretty cheap, like less than 30 dollars if you have a hitch

·
Registered
158 Posts
I guess theres 3 ways
1) ask the seller if he would leave the insurance on so u can ride it back. Most people will not do this because of liability and other issues. All comes down to trust.

2) call up the seller's state motor vehicle commission. ask them if buying from a private seller what is covered if insurance and stuff is activated. You might need to go there right after you get your title from the seller to register it... details im not exactly certain.

3) better safe than sorry right? trailer it back home

·
Registered
586 Posts
The plates go with the bike in California. The new owner needs to register the bike and pay sales tax on it.
Same here in TX. I just sold a bike, and I left the tags on it, they don't expire until October.

I can then file a change of ownership with the DMV, so they have record when it changed, to cover me in case the new owner gets in trouble. I'm also covered because we both signed and dated a bill of sale...

·
Registered
709 Posts
legalities aside. I have never ridden a new-to-me bike home. mostly becuase all of them were several hours away, so I would already have to drive there, plus I have never fully trusted a used bike until I got it home and tore it down and inspected it in my garage.

for instance, I bought a bike one time that unknown to me, had a leak in the front tire. It would only hold set pressure for an hour or so, then would drop about 5-6psi or more. glad I didnt try and ride that home.

Hell, even the last bike I bought, wasnt even 15miles from me, and I just paid the guy like $10 to deliver it to my house since it was already loaded on his trailer.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
just call that states dmv and ask them what to do...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts