Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, someone beat me with a sledge hammer. I usually only use Honda polish on everything after I clean the bike with soap suds and hose. This time I cleaned around the sprocket and chain with some of that purple degreaser AutoZone crap. Anyways, it left etching drip marks on the nice smooth satin swingarm. I can't get it out with anything i tried.
Any suggestions on products? Are our swingarms just polished at factory, and then clearcoated? If so mines screwed now cause I think its under the clearcoating. Nothing takes off the damn drip marks. Every time I take the bike out, I look at it and it pisses me off. Might just yank the rear end off and have it powdercoated black or red to match the bike.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Your only hope is either ignore it, or polish the swing arm with steel woll and try to match the existing finish. The alluminum has been etched by the alkalinity(Probably Potassium Hydroxide). Jeeze it's a good thing I signed on tonight. This is the second alluminum question so far.

I did the same thing to my bike when I was working on my amazing bike wash at work, it was a little to hot and left the streaking that your talking about. Your either stuck dealing with it or polishing it out. (Hmmm. Good excuse to get the swing arm powder coated :?: That's the plan with mine)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't feel bad, I use this one cleaner on my other bike, which has lots of chrome and no exposed aluminum except the engine case that this cleaner works real good on because it's bare and not coated. The same week I bought my new 0 mile RR, I used the cleaner not thinking that the swingarm was coated, and same thing. Not only did it streak the swingarm, it streaked up the reservoir on the mono shock and dulled the brake calipers. :shock: I could have beat myself in the head with a big stick :bitchslap: . I have since replaced the calipers and shock, but not the swingarm yet (I am going to buy the one for the 05 if it's compatible) so I used a polishing compound called HAAS and it got it to the point where it's not very noticeable at all now. So until you get it coated, just find a really good polishing compound and/or very fine steel wool to clean it up. Good Luck!

Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
WherzRoony said:
The swingarm is NOT COATED, that's why it etched, Aluminum is very easily etched by many cleaners.
That's good to know, after it streaked like it did, I thought it was coated. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use simple green. Even when it isnt diluted, it is a great degreaser and cleaner, works wonders on the insides of the rim (chain wax and brake dust), swing arm and forks. I have never done it while the bike was hot though, could make a difference. (By not hot, I mean parked in the garage all day before using it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yea, there are a bit of things you can do, but i'd just go with pulling the rear end off and having it powdercoated. you'll only be happier with those results! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
600RR_NM said:
yea, there are a bit of things you can do, but i'd just go with pulling the rear end off and having it powdercoated. you'll only be happier with those results! :mrgreen:
I agree. Was hoping for a "mystical make it better cleaner" that i didn't know about.
Thanks guys...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts