Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, the rubber surround for the fuel cap. Every time I take my tank cover off and put it back on those stupid plastic tabs catch it and pin it back. It's impossible to wedge it back out without knicking up your paint around the lip of the fuel cap. Anyone have a good trick to this?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I spray a little penetrating fluid on my finger and spread it around the rubber surround thing. That may or may not damage the rubber though. Alcohol maybe? Water? Some kind of a liquid... Prying or wedging with something is not necessary though.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spray a little penetrating fluid on my finger and spread it around the rubber surround thing. That may or may not damage the rubber though. Alcohol maybe? Water? Some kind of a liquid... Prying or wedging with something is not necessary though.
That is a pretty good idea. I'll try some water next time...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wouldn't use alcohol as that could dry out the rubber. Try using some silicone spray if you want to lubricate it. It will penetrate the rubber and keep it soft as well. I usually just use a pick set and carefully work the rubber back over the tabs.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got frustrated and used a flathead screwdriver, putting some nice knicks in the paint. Oh well, aftermarket fairings are on the way...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
hahahahaha!!! all you need to do is remove three of those screws and it pops off! (the gas cap with the rubber gasket). then you put the tank cover on, THEN you reinstall the gas cap ON TOP OF THE TANK COVER ONCE IT'S ALREADY BACK ON! :laughing1 there's no need for lube and screwdriver tricks and $hit when you do it that way, and it seals perfectly everytime.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahahahaha!!! all you need to do is remove three of those screws and it pops off! (the gas cap with the rubber gasket). then you put the tank cover on, THEN you reinstall the gas cap ON TOP OF THE TANK COVER ONCE IT'S ALREADY BACK ON! :laughing1 there's no need for lube and screwdriver tricks and $hit when you do it that way, and it seals perfectly everytime.
You know I tried that - I forget now, but there was something preventing this method from working (on my '05 anyway.) I forget what it was, I think that maybe it just couldn't fit in if you dropped it in from the top?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
+1 Dr.
if i have a problem getting the seal on right, i remove the gas cap, put the tank cover on, and then reinstall the cap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
im having the same exact problem and have scratched up my paint pretty nicely trying to figure this out. can someone please dumb it down for me

·
Registered
263 Posts
the way i do mine which only requires a little bit of adjustment is. when you put the tank cover back on align it with the gas cap to begin with. do one side first and stretch it over to the other side then once its sealed push it down and adjust the rest from there. works perfectly every time for me. anyone know where i can get a flat black lower left fairing for a 2005? PM me if so, thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Damn, wish I would have thought of that.... I just use a pic set as well to pull it up. It works, but the last idea sure sounds like cake!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
hahahahaha!!! all you need to do is remove three of those screws and it pops off! (the gas cap with the rubber gasket). then you put the tank cover on, THEN you reinstall the gas cap ON TOP OF THE TANK COVER ONCE IT'S ALREADY BACK ON! there's no need for lube and screwdriver tricks and $hit when you do it that way, and it seals perfectly everytime.
Just do it like he said. It couldn't be any easier. No chipped paint.

·
Registered
117 Posts
correct. did it yesterday. 3 days ago. 2 weeks ago. and about 50 other times in the past. dont forget to unlock the cap or it wont come off.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
excellent...just had to do this tonight, worked like a charm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts