Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys! I'm buying this bike on Friday and wanted to find out before hand how I would know if it has a clean title, a salvage title, or a lien on the bike. This guy is selling his 07 cbr600rr for 5k which is a steal bt would want to if it's clean like he said it is. I called the non emergency # to make sure it isn't stolen and they said it isn't so I'm clear with that. Thanks in advance!

D

·
0 Posts
Depends on what your state/county does and allows. Call up to find out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
or just ask the owner to show you the title...

Salvage titles have a "S" on them

if there is a lien then the actual title would still be in the Lienholders hands

if the odometer does not match actual miles that in most states is marked with an "n"

there are lots of different codes to explain the different types of titles or issues with title

·
Registered
128 Posts
I usually just call the state patrol. they will only tell me what i need to know about title status(junk, certificate of destuction, salvage, or clean title) if theres a lein on it, or if its stolen

·
Registered
157 Posts
depending on your state, if the bike had been in an accident and it was reported and if that accident made the bike salvage title, then the title to the bike will say that.

however, the bike could still have sustained salvage level damage but if it wasn't reported and just fixed, the title obviously won't say that.

another idea is to check carfax. it won't work for all bikes, but i know it does for some- it will tell you the history of the vehicle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A salvage title isn't necessarily a bad thing. I had to get one for my bike because the insurance company totaled it for needing a new upper cowl, tail section, and gas tank cover. Now it just means that if and when I decide to sell that bike whoever buys it will get a good deal on it because of the stigma attached to an S title. I have OEM plastics being so expensive to thank for that.

I can tell you what I've had to go through so far in terms of the S title. I had to take my regular clear title to the county clerk & recorder where they took it and gave me a new certificate of salvage. Once I repair the bike, I have to have "Rebuilt from salvage" stamped/etched somewhere easily visible on the frame, have an inspection done, and then the state issues another title cleary labled as a rebuilt from salvage title.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts