Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, great site with lots of info. I was lurking for a while before joining and most of my questions have been answered. I picked up an ’03 red CBR a few weeks ago and love it except the exhaust smell after riding but that is a different post. I am a newbie to sportbikes (still have my ’05 Polaris Predator TLD quad and it will always be my first love) so I am still getting used to it. I attended the MSF course and I learned a lot; it was great. I still target fixate on occasion, turns are not as smooth as I would like, and paranoid as heck when I am around cell yakking cagers in traffic. My question is how exactly did you guys perfect your skills without having a mature rider watching you? I have friends who ride and the only thing they can show me is what NOT to do. Two of them actually ran from the cops last weekend after I left from a ride to go home. Not something I would even think of doing, btw. I guess I need to find some mature riders in my area to hang with. I practice daily riding as often as I can, weather permitting, but I would feel better if I had a second set of eyes critiquing me.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Welcome to the site man.

I am not home now (I will be in February) but I would be happy to ride with you man. I live in Manassas myself. I am not a pro by any means, but I would be happy to be a second set of eyes for ya. I could use some critiquing myself.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, time for some new riding buddies. Check around on the internet for local message boards or something. I'm a newer rider as well and have found I am getting more and more particular on who I ride with instead of just going on the mass crazy group rides. Go to some local bike nights or something too, normally you can meet cool people there that won't ride totally crazy.

I went out awhile back with two riders who have been riding for a really long time. At the first part I rode in the back, and they were of course faster so I would get left behind. NEVER WORRY ABOUT HAVING TO CATCH UP. Riding above your limits to catch up can get you into trouble quick, always ride your own ride. I did this with these two, and yeah in the corners I would get behind, but I would come out of a twisty section to find them putting along waiting for me in a long straight. These are the types of riders you want to ride with. Not guys who are just going to leave you behind and then be all "cya lata" or something.

Also the guys after a pit stop put me in the middle(I normally try to put myself in the back of the pack all the time), so I could get some experience there. The front rider took it pretty easy and I did ok keeping up with him, and the back rider left me plenty of room and I never felt crowded. That's another thing I hate, is people who crowd up on you in a group ride. Tis why I like staying in the back of the pack.

They also had me lead a bit as well, just for the experience, again never crowded or felt rushed, it was an awesome ride all around.

Find people to ride with who you are comfortable with, and will also respect that you are a newer rider and give tips possibly, as well as wait on you and help you with learning.

Good luck :)

edit: Oh and if you can find a guy who's about as new as you are, you can normally learn from each other. I ride a lot with a guy who got his first bike about 2 weeks after I got mine.

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The ONE good thing they did for me was after they left me, they did wait a minute or so for me to catch up. Even after they waited, I was still a little upset that they left me in the first place. I made no secret before the ride that I was a newbie and didn’t want to go fast. After our first gas stop I made my feelings known. After that, they slowed for me and we actually had a nice ride that day. I guess I was slowing them down so after I left, that is when the shenanigans started. I had just put my bike up for the night when my friend called and told me about his running from the cops. All I could do was shake my head. I told him he is a good enough friend that I would bring him a carton of smokes for when they do catch him.

And another thing I noticed is every friggin body wants me to do a wheelie or race them at a stop light. One guy in a Toyo Camry was reving his engine next to me. I was like come on dude; you are in your mom’s camry. Why don’t you go home and play x-box or something. Sorry for my rant. I just want to ride my bike in peace. I have enough distractions to deal with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah just ignore that crap. I get people doing the pop it up stuff/wanting to race as well. I was pulling out of my neighborhood one time, and had some guy in a beater pontiac start revving it at me blowing smoke all over everywhere. I was pretty much "There is no way I am wasting my gas on you" I stopped at a light behind him and he was frantically looking in his mirrors for me, but I was over on the passenger side to avoid all the smoke he was blowing out of his pipe, he finally finds me in the rearview and makes some scissor motion out the window with his hand. I have no idea what that meant, but ah well.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
+1 on always going at a comfortable pace. I've known many noobs that have crashed due to trying to keep up or showing off for their buddies. Heck, I also crashed when I was a noob because I was riding too fast and target fixated. Just take it easy and don't do any of the stupid sh*t your friends are doing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
there's a few VA riders here...LOTS of guys who go to VIR, too....

you're in luck...just lurk around for a while longer and you'll find them.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Fu*k that. I agree with the others. Definitely get new riding buddies. To run from the cops is stupid enough, but to do it when they have a new rider with them. Damn...that makes me mad. Real friends wouldnt pull that bs, at least, none of the guys I ride with wouldnt.

Ive got a small group of guys I trust enough to ride with... thats it.

And the exhaust smell... you get used to it. It bugged me at first, but now... just part of the deal of riding one of the coolest bikes out there :toothy6:

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Riding with them fools is only gonna get you the following......
1. Hurt!
2. tickets & maybe impounded!
3 Hurt!
4. lost of love for riding!
5. Killed!

I've seen it before....stay away from them kinds of people..... you can simply check on here for riders in your area, you can cruise around till you meet up with "normal" people. Or you'll end up meeting someone by accident just from talking.

I have a VERY small click that I ride with and trust. Thats the way I like it. Yes, on ocassion we will jump in a group ride, but if I get a bad feeling I just exit the pack. I can usually tell within 10 minutes if I wanna ride with people or not.

use good judgement...you'll find the right crowd!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I just go out riding on my own the majority of the time. Sometimes I'll meet up w/some other people and go out and ride w/them but it can be kinda sketchy if you don't know how the other people ride. You just have go out and meet people and find someone or group of people you feel comfortable riding with.

·
Registered
573 Posts
600RRyder1 said:
Hey guys, great site with lots of info. I was lurking for a while before joining and most of my questions have been answered. I picked up an ’03 red CBR a few weeks ago and love it except the exhaust smell after riding but that is a different post. I am a newbie to sportbikes (still have my ’05 Polaris Predator TLD quad and it will always be my first love) so I am still getting used to it. I attended the MSF course and I learned a lot; it was great. I still target fixate on occasion, turns are not as smooth as I would like, and paranoid as heck when I am around cell yakking cagers in traffic. My question is how exactly did you guys perfect your skills without having a mature rider watching you? I have friends who ride and the only thing they can show me is what NOT to do. Two of them actually ran from the cops last weekend after I left from a ride to go home. Not something I would even think of doing, btw. I guess I need to find some mature riders in my area to hang with. I practice daily riding as often as I can, weather permitting, but I would feel better if I had a second set of eyes critiquing me.

Practice makes perfect. Or so they say. But it damn sure helps. Take a course, or read up and start applying certain aspects. Dont overdo it. Take a step at a time. If you read too much you will try to apply too many things at once while riding, and that aint gonna work. Start with our weakest point, read some applications, and go and try to apply them little by little. It will come to ya. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
natas said:
I just go out riding on my own the majority of the time. Sometimes I'll meet up w/some other people and go out and ride w/them but it can be kinda sketchy if you don't know how the other people ride. You just have go out and meet people and find someone or group of people you feel comfortable riding with.
A big +1 to that. Dont ride with people you dont know until you get more experience and even then, its not always such a good idea.

We met up with a few guys that we knew one time and they brought a guy along that they had met from another online site. For some reason, I was the only one who thought to ask the guy how long hes been riding, etc. When he said 500 miles...lol... I wasnt sure how to react. I said, you mean 500 on this bike...nope, 500 total. Needless to say, I gave myself a lot of distance between me and him. He actually ended up being a good safe rider so we lucked out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts