Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of my recent battery problems, I was wondering if it's safe to push start a bike. And if so, how do I go about it?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can tell you how I did it on the F4i

Put it in first, have someone push you, keep the clutch in, when you are about 5mph, pop the clutch and give it some gas and she should turn right on. Oh, make sure the bike is in will ya :bounce:

Rippey

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have had a few bat problems myself , going to be getting replacement soon. But here is how you push start mrrippey forgot the last important step.

First either have friend push you or go down a hill. Once you get some speed (roughly 5mph) let out on the clutch fairly strongly and right after that hit the ignition. I know it sounds obvious but my friends and myself included have forggoten that when push starting before *grin*. So yah , it shouldnt hurt the bike any but I would get your problems fixed so you dont get stuck some were without a friend or a hill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most Driveways can do the trick . You just have to be fortunate to be close to one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Few guys i know able to run with their bike hop on and go, however I dont trust myself maintaining balance of the bike while doing that, not worth scraping the fairing for somthing stupid like that, get the problem fixed and be done with it =)

·
Registered
544 Posts
better way is to put it in 2nd gear this way it is easier to turn over. trust me im a dumbass when it comes to forgetting my lights on. i have done it at least 18 times!!! always works!!! im on my 2nd batt well i was for my r6!!!!!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I never have to hit the ignition. I just get a push while holding in the clutch....let it go and she starts right up. I leave my lights on at times too. :oops:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
2nd gear at least, some bikes 3rd is better. 1st tends to make the motor spin too quickly and tends to just lock and chatter the wheel. make sure the cutoff switch and key are on. Squeeze the clutch, run to max speed, hop on sidesaddle and ease the clutch out quickly. Jason is right, unless you hear the pump prime, dont bother. You might get away with it on a bike with carbs though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stand next to your bike, make sure it is on run, the key is in the "On" position, pick your bike off the kick stand, and kick it up and out of the way so you can run next to it. Put it in second, clutch in, now start pushing the bars to get it rolling and start running as hard and fast as you can (assuming no hill), this whole time you have been holding the clutch in, so just drop the clutch and give it gas at the same time, as soon as you hear the motor pick up you can pull the clutch back in and give it gas to keep it going.

By now you are going at a pretty good pace, you can now jump on the bike since it is easier than stopping the bike now that you have the engine running and bike rolling, kinda like jumping onto a bicycle after you messed up a wheelie and are trying to get back on under movement. make sure to gas it as you are doing this to give you centrifical force to keep the bike up as you are performing this acrobatic stunt.

it's easy, and will take time to master. plus it gets you out of a jam. Now FI bikes are different, if there is no electricity being generated your computer wont be able to control your fuel injectors and you are SOL. but carb'ed bikes will always be able to be push started.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
CBRBob said:
2nd gear at least, some bikes 3rd is better. 1st tends to make the motor spin too quickly and tends to just lock and chatter the wheel. make sure the cutoff switch and key are on. Squeeze the clutch, run to max speed, hop on sidesaddle and ease the clutch out quickly. Jason is right, unless you hear the pump prime, dont bother. You might get away with it on a bike with carbs though.
+1 Bingo!

N

·
0 Posts
dviii said:
Stand next to your bike, make sure it is on run, the key is in the "On" position, pick your bike off the kick stand, and kick it up and out of the way so you can run next to it. Put it in second, clutch in, now start pushing the bars to get it rolling and start running as hard and fast as you can (assuming no hill), this whole time you have been holding the clutch in, so just drop the clutch and give it gas at the same time, as soon as you hear the motor pick up you can pull the clutch back in and give it gas to keep it going.

By now you are going at a pretty good pace, you can now jump on the bike since it is easier than stopping the bike now that you have the engine running and bike rolling, kinda like jumping onto a bicycle after you messed up a wheelie and are trying to get back on under movement. make sure to gas it as you are doing this to give you centrifical force to keep the bike up as you are performing this acrobatic stunt.

it's easy, and will take time to master. plus it gets you out of a jam. Now FI bikes are different, if there is no electricity being generated your computer wont be able to control your fuel injectors and you are SOL. but carb'ed bikes will always be able to be push started.

Good instructions. I was gonna give my .02 till I read yours which is what I would have said.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i've done it on my rr in first without giving gas. put the bike in first, just hold the clutch in, get your push start, pop the clutch while moving, then hit the start button. it shouldn't take off on u at all. some ppl have the misconception that the bike will lurch when ignited... i've never seen that happen either with my rr, rc51, r1, r6, or gixxer600

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I thought I would contribute by saying that if some of the lighter guys are having trouble doing it. I've heard that as youre either going down a small hill, or getting pushed by your buddy, stand up on the pegs, and as soon as you drop the clutch drop your weight down on the back, by either squatting then catching yourself or if you feel comfortable with it just plain old droppin your butt right down into the seat. (ouch, since its a piece of plywood)

·
Registered
419 Posts
never try to compression start a bike or a car in 1st gear because if you do the only thing that will happen is the back end will feel like it is locked up. Use 2nd gear or higher and also remember to turn the ignition switch on.
If your battery just doesn't have enough to start it but cranks slowly then compression starting it will get it going but if your battery has less than 10.5 volts you will need a long a$$ hill since the injectors need a min voltage of 10.5 volts or more to give the bike any fuel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts