Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i lost a bike this weekened because one of the straps we used fail. we think the bike is totalled. one dealer i talked to said the wratching tie down are way to much. they put to much pressure on the strap holding the bike. some straps warranty will be void if you use wratching tie down like in our case.

anyways how and what are you guys using to tie down your motorcycle?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
How did it fail? If it broke did you have it super tight? If not was it ol (or suffering from dry rot)?

I use regular old motorcycle tie downs.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Damn that sucks to hear man. I agree with the dealers recommendation on the type of strap to use. I have the pull down straps and use a Canyon Dancer on the front bars. Then I use a third starp through the rear tire.

Ratcheting down too hard can also damage the front forks seals. Always leave room for your suspension to absorb bumps while it's in tow. Otherwise the forks can bottom out.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i thought you wanted to ratchet it down bout half way to keep it from bouncing too much.

thats what i have done, with canyon dancers. ratchet in the front, giving the forks bout half travel, and then pull straps on the passenger pegs in the back.

bike has survived two cross country trips like that, among many other smaller ones.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Yeah, just enough to compress the front end is fine. Just make sure the straps don't come loose after the first few miles. I also put a zip-tie on the front brake lever.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
oh yeah, and i also put it in gear and leave the kick stand down.

and remember to untie the right side first, so it falls to the left on the kick stand. otherwise itll fall to the right unto the bar end. (actually learned this the hard way, brain fart)

·
Registered
435 Posts
yea canyon dancers and some ratchets..i dont like the pull straps cuz they slip sometimes...just be careful not to overdo it...it doesnt take too much to keep her steady and stable

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I only transport in an enclosed trailer, but I put my bikes on the rear stand then tie the bike to the stand and the stand down to the trailer.

I drive several hundred miles every year to Daytona with upto 4 bikes in my trailer and yet to have a problem.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
the ratchet type are usually rated at 500lbs each, so they should be good for using on the bike. If yours broke they probably were old or had a slight tear in the strap itself. Recently happened to a guy I know who almost lost his R1 off the back of a moto-tote this same way. His was because of old straps.

I usually just run 2 ratchet type on the front, and I've hauled my bike a bunch of times to the track...you should never run friction type (only ratchet type) on the front since they could loosen up with the bouncing of the trailer.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I've never had my pull straps come loose. Not once. Regardless of what strap you choose you should always tie the loose end of the strap off so it can't come loose. I think the key here is using straps that are in good condition. Some people tend to over tighten things by nature thinking that a little tighter is better. Not always the case and that's how they wind up damaging their forks seals because they over tightened them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok for those of you who are wondering what kind of bike we lost. we lost a Ducait Pual Smart 1000. the damage is at 10,000 dollars. they still need to spliting the case to fix the broken shifter rod and the stator cover/generator and that price is not figured in yet. needless to day it is gone the starp that broke was recomemded by the deal and the it was Cycle Cynch.

has any one used or heard of them? Cycle Cynch (thats the part that broke)

no more track days for us untill we we get an enclosed trailer and the correct tie down and chocks

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
That sucks big time for such a prestine bike a buddy of mine has one
that i saw last sunday its silver bodywork / dark green frame / wired wheels
what a shame that happened to such a machine

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
srfinatsunset said:
ok for those of you who are wondering what kind of bike we lost. we lost a Ducait Pual Smart 1000. the damage is at 10,000 dollars. they still need to spliting the case to fix the broken shifter rod and the stator cover/generator and that price is not figured in yet. needless to day it is gone

no more track days for us untill we we get an enclosed trailer and the correct tie down and chocks
OUCH!!! Man thats horrible. Hopefully you had some kind of insurance. Sorry to hear what happened.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya our friend has got insurance but thats not the point the strap broke (cycle Cynch) we are trying to figure out what to do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts