Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, guys. I plan on checking this 600RR very soon but had some questions about it since I am super new to Hondas.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/4993309232.html

The handle bar is red. Could this mean he dropped the bike and changed it? Are those easy to change?

It says "CBR Racing" on the side. I Googled 04 CBR600RR red and most of them don't say racing on the side. Is this normal or was some fairing replacements bought?

Other than that, it seems super clean on the post. I will check the side of frame slider, mirror, front brake lever, rear brake lever, right passenger stand or w/e it's called and the other side of the bike to see if I can spot any scratches to find out if it was dropped. That's all that comes to my mind.

Anyways, I am trying to buy a 600RR as soon as possible. I started riding two seasons ago on a Ninja 250R, than moved to a DRZ400SM, and now thought it would be fun to hop on a SS. Really craving it at this point.

Thanks!

PS: I am just paranoid because the price seems lower than the other 04's I ran into and they had more mileage as well, but to me the price does seem fair. Ehh... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Too expensive!

I would go for the next model 2005/2006... Estetics are almost the same, but forks and brakes are way better...

That bike has chinese fairings, look for one that has OEM fairing instead!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Too expensive!

I would go for the next model 2005/2006... Estetics are almost the same, but forks and brakes are way better...

That bike has chinese fairings, look for one that has OEM fairing instead!
Dammit, so the fairings have been replaced huh? Hoesntly, that's the best price I have seen in a while around where I live. I'm in northern VA. Should I not go check this one out?

I'm willing to spend upto 5k on a bike that has less than like 13k miles, but all of the ones posted have been dropped so far. It's irritating. I prefer 600RR, but I am also looking at GSXR600 and R6. Same story for those two bikes as well.

She is a beauty but 15k miles.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/4988625683.html

And last but not least, this one. he says the fairing under the tank on the right side has a tiny chip in the coat that can only be seen if the "light hits it right." That doesn't sound like a big deal for a used bike. Is it?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/4989819519.html

I want to be able to sell it at the end of the season, that's why I'm being picky...

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
When the fairings say "CBR Racing" they are chinese... Except in the case that the owner decided to put that decal which would be super strange.

Maybe the bike wasn't laid, but if the fairings mounted are chinese, they are worth nothing... and they will eventually brake or melt...

PS: That Daytona looks good, good price, good mileage, not as old... Sexy as f+++

When I look for bikes I do like you, I try to look for bikes with less than 10-12 K miles.

I really don't know how pricing is in your area... But for a 2003 CBR I wouldn't be willing to pay more than 3000 USD.

I bought my 07 for 5000 EUROS (5500 USD) with 15.000 kms (11.000 miles aprox.)

You can still go check it if its not far... Who knows, with a price drop it might be a good option...

(A full set of OEM fairings can cost between 600 to 1000 USD aprox.)

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Maybe the bike wasn't laid, but if the fairings mounted are chinese, they are worth nothing... and they will eventually brake or melt...
Thats entirely untrue, some kits yes, as a whole no. There are tons of bikes out there with aftermarket kits on them and they are fine. If they were THAT bad no one would ever buy them. Mine came w/ an aftermarket kit on it and and I had a whopping total of 0 problems with it.

·
2,862 Posts
When the fairings say "CBR Racing" they are chinese...

This is my stock and brand new at the time 2005 600RR. You can see the temp plate on the back.

My suggestion is not to listen to this guy, hes has no idea what hes talking about. If you cant give the correct information then stop steering new members with questions in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
My suggestion is not to listen to this guy, hes has no idea what hes talking about. If you cant give the correct information then stop steering new members with questions in the wrong direction.
This isn't the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Sorry guys, it is not that I don't know...

I had an 03 just like that with OEM fairings and did the change to ABS fairings as many did here...

My OEM fairing read "CBR" only... Chinese Fairings read "CBR racing" on the sides and "HONDA" on the nose too...

This is my bike after installing the fairings from china:

You can see here how the farings are cracking...

This fairings started to melt and crack after one year... I have proof, pictures and some melted parts still lying around my home.

Examples:

YOU SEE NOW??? Some of those pictures are actual HONDA oficial catalogue pictures... none of them say "Racing"

Entirely not true that all fairings melt of crack... I am aware... but tell me, would you be able to recognise and ABS fairing's manufacturer??

It's not the same to have an "Auctmarts" fairing or an ABS Fairings fairing... Still, none of them stamp their parts or have any kind of identification. (OEMs do)

So, if you know they are ABS fairings, first thing is to try and look for another bike... Why? because you cannot tell if they are the "good" ones or the "bad" ones... OEMs never fail... In fact I'm not the only one on this forum stating this when someone asks about it, and surely not the last.

How many miles did you put on your ABS fairings VenomRR??... I did a total of two years and 23.000 kms... I talk based on experience...

For two days nobody helped this guy... Now you only post to contradict my posts and both failed in reading the OP's post and try and lend a hand... which is what we are here for most of the times... (At least me, I like to help people).

And venomRR... next time you say something is "Entirely untrue" don't follow the sentence with a "some kits yes" because you are just unsaying what you just said... Just basic reading/writing comprehension skills...

Now... Any of you two wanna give some usefull guides to this new forum member or just useless helpless flaming??

Support and contribute, this is a community...

This isn't the first time.
For you, only one thing, it's not the first time you give negative answers and not a single contribution... On you line as always... Troll kind of forum member... nothing new under the sun, at least not today...

You are a sad person... thank god sometimes you are funny...

Just for sumarizing... The bike OP has set he eyes on has a "mint condition" price... for me (and many forum members here) mint condition includes OEM fairings at least...

And again... Support and contribute instead of bashing and not giving any help, that only works for your ego... and the OP doesn't care about your EGO.

Sorry for the long post... OP, I'm sorry for this... I hope you get another answer from someone else (not me, and certainly not from the X) that might give you some positive answers or another point of view...

·
2,862 Posts
You cant give a blanket statement saying CBR RACING decals means its chinese fairings. Just b/c YOURS cracked does not mean EVERY set cracks. Im not unsaying anything, im correcting your 100% wrong statment. Are some chinese fairings junk...yes they are, but not all of them, some are of quite good quality. Stop using your personal experience as the rule and not the exception.

The 03/04 CBR did not say Racing on the decal. 05+ do say it. I'm sure he is not just searching for an 03/04. So in fact your statement is wrong b/c you make it out to be for any CBR

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
The 03/04 CBR did not say Racing on the decal. 05+ do say it. I'm sure he is not just searching for an 03/04. So in fact your statement is wrong b/c you make it out to be for any CBR
Check the pictures from the ad:
"2004 Honda CBR 600RR with 9,400 miles - $4000 (Chantilly)"

Axial calipers and non-inverted forks... That's an 03/04...

don't take personally man.. read the OP's post first, check the pictures, check the ad... then comment..

You can still go check it if its not far... Who knows, with a price drop it might be a good option...
I actually told the OP to go check the bike but not pay what they are asking for. In fact, I suggested he looked for an 05/06.

I won't be posting here anymore, I helped the way I could. I don't wanna fill the post with silly discussions.

·
2,862 Posts
Im not saying anything about if that bike has aftermarket fairings or not. I'm correcting you on your wrong statement of CBR RACING = Chinese fairings. If you said 2003 or 2004 then thats different but you did not say that you made blanket general statement so the OP thinks that any bike he see's that says CBR Racing on it has been wrecked. Your just wrong, eat your crow and go home.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I was talking about the bike the OP asked about on this post which is an 03/04... you brought the 05/06 into this conversation...

And you are actually right... 05/06 do have "CBR Racing" written on the OEM fairings... but this is just not the case we are talking about...

And I'm actually right too, 03/04 don't have "CBR Racing" written on the OEM fairing... Chinese do...

But what do the OP care's about what on an 05/06?, he is asking about an older CBR.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The price on the CBR is a little higher than I personally would have liked, but riding season is upon us so bikes will command higher prices. I dropped a little bit more than that on a 4 year newer bike with 1/2 the miles last year. But different geographical locations bring different prices. It also looks as if, yes, those are aftermarket fairings. Ask if the seller has the originals? As far as the bars, I see red bar ends, is that what you are referring to? Those only take a few minutes to change out and most likely were changed to match the red bike as an accessory. Check craiglist, oodle.com, cyclertrader.com for the going private sale market price right now. One thing, if you plan on selling in the fall/winter, be ready to take a loss as that is when the market gets flooded with bikes for people moving on or looking for money. You would be extremely lucky to get a free summer rental and recoup most of your purchase price back.

I don't know much about the Daytona's, but when I was in the market and found my CBR, I was heavily interested in a Daytona, just didn't find the right one. Very attractive bike. Not sure on market value. Read reviews, ask questions. Same with the GSXR. My friend has one and absolutely loves it. If you are serious, contact the seller and have a good conversation with them. The GSXR does not have a lot of pictures provided. Spend time, go look at them if local enough for you.

I will check the side of frame slider, mirror, front brake lever, rear brake lever, right passenger stand or w/e it's called and the other side of the bike to see if I can spot any scratches to find out if it was dropped. That's all that comes to my mind.
Food for thought, I started a thread on things to look for when purchasing a bike, based on my past experiences.
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=499337

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
That Daytona is the best deal presented here, Ohlins shock too. As long as you can verify the Daytona 675 problems from the first years have been either fixed or were never a problem, that's an okay price.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I had found a Daytona around me for a price I could have swung, I would have jumped all over it. I was completely enamored by them. It has beautiful lines.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Looks like the listing in the OP has been 'deleted by its author'. Like already said, this is the most expensive time of year to buy a bike. It is what it is. I've found if you are an educated buyer, you can find good deals and have good negotiating skills.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts