Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How do or did your parents feel about you riding?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Duke Power Rocks
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does your parents feel about you riding or especially doing trackdays?
I guess that applies to the younger gen but to the rest how did yours feel back in the gray jk!

Mine hate it! hearing it seeing me just knowing! Drives them crazy! Especially when I came home from jennings last month with 300+ pictures and put them up on their big screen and made them look lol

i voted FORBID it cause they did and i showed up with mine and turns out my dad had several street bikes back in the day! for the next 2 weeks i do still live with them but I am movin out

·
Banned
433 Posts
My mom is a typical mom and worries about me riding so no big deal there. Dad is cool with it and he wants to get a scooter now that he has seen my bike sitting in the garage. :toothy4: Me and my brothers have all ridden most of our adolescent/adult lives. They are pretty much used to it by now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
both **** their pants....

but theyre getting used to it, and im about to move back in.... so now they get to see and hear it ever single day lol.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
my parents hated me ride'n for years because i never wore a helmet, but even now with my helmet and living a state away, i still hear it from time to time, haha

·
Registered
452 Posts
My Dad has owned and ridden motorcycles most of his adult life, but when he got married he sold his bikes to buy a house...

... Fast forward a few years. My brother and I now exist, money is a little more abundant and we are ages 7 (me) and 10 (brother). My Dad had the jones to ride again, but wanted to incorporate the family into it... enter the dirt bikes. He picked up a 1979 Suzuki DR-370 for about $150, got it running pretty well and was content with his purchase; a friend of his had some vintage enduro bikes in a shed that he was willing to give away, but warned that they were rough and hadn't ran in years. My Dad quickly swooped in and got the bikes: a 1968 Kawasaki TR-120 that became mine, and a 1972 Yamaha 175 (not sure of the model) that my brother took delivery of. Neither bike ran when we got them, but after cleaning the carburators, cleaning the fuel tanks of the bikes and adding some fresh gas they were on their way to being the best free bikes ever! Natrually, the bikes looked like hell and didn't run as well as a brand new bike did, but they were ours and we got to ride. Most of our riding gear was purchased second hand from yard sales, or anywhere that we could get stuff for cheap (money was still pretty tight); since my brother is older than me by 3 years, I got a lot of hand me downs when he out-grew them. That Christmas, my parents pooled their money together and bought my brother and I brand new riding gear: boots, gloves, jersey, pants and helmet; it was nice to have fresh gear.

Fast forward some more:

My brother and I are growing up, my Dad continues to earn promotions and our bike get progressively nicer. My brother ended up with a pretty nice mid eighties model KX125, and I was on a slightly newer KX80. My brother made the venture into motocross; I was always a BMX racer and my heart was in that, but I started to do some motocross races as well. My Dad never really cared to race motocross, but he would ride the tracks with us and continue to trail ride with us as much as possible; eventually my brother and I were ready to start driving cars and sold the bikes to put a down payment on our first cars.

Fast forward some more:

I was 15 years old with no dirt bike, I started to miss the feeling of being on a motorcycle and yearned to be out there again. Only, this time I was going to do it on the street. I had already purchased my first car (1986 Ford Bronco II) and had a few hundred dollars saved up from my paper-route, so I shopped around for something to ride. My Uncle noticed my interest in street bikes and offered to give me his slightly wrecked (but mechanically sound) 1978 Kawasaki KZ-750 in exchance for some work on his ranch. I couldn't pass up a chance to own 'The Banana' (as we called it, due to its bright yellow paint) for free! I used that extra money to repair some parts of the bike and purchase some suitable riding gear for the street. I got my motorcycle permit as well as my class-C learner's permit and was on my way to motor-vehicle freedom! However, I was the only one in the family on two wheels again.

I continued to ride street bikes throughout high school and eventually upgraded to a 1992 EX500 that I got for next to nothing and later, a 2002 Suzuki TL-1000R that I made payments on. Somewhere in this time frame my brother got another dirt bike and started to race motocross again; my Dad jumped on a good deal and had himself another dirt bike as well. I was invited to trail ride with them and loaned a bike from my cousin for the day; it was a really nice CR-250. I had never ridded anything as powerful as a 250 two stroke before, but I can say that it was addicting! My brother and Dad both had 250's, so they were used to the 3rd gear wheelies and sliding around corners at-will, but for me it was an adventure that lead me to buying my very own YZ-250.

My Mom joined in on the fun and bought a small Yamaha play bike to ride around with us, and my neice got a PW-50 of her own. We were a dirt biking family again, and attended a great deal of motocross races, as well as trail riding. I got into motocross somewhat, but still mostly did it for fun and not looking to make it my only interest. My Dad decided he was at a place where he could finally get the Harley Fatboy that he had always wanted and did just that. He signed up for the MSF course just for a refresher and to bypass the skills test at the DMV (Harley + skills test = FAIL) and offered to pay for me to take the MSF course with him. My Dad is hard of hearing, so he wanted me there to relay the information to him and tell him what the instructors were saying in case he couldn't catch it all. I had ridden for a few years now with only a permit (and when it expired, I rode with nothing)... not the smartest thing. After the MSF course, I got my license and have been legal ever since. I sold the TL when I started to have financial troubles, and later moved back home when my Fiance and I split up months before our wedding.

It's a few years later and I am doing well financially, have a good job and benefits and still have my M1. I picked up my 600rr and never looked back. My Dad still has the Harley, we all still have dirt bikes and my brother still races motocross, as do I on occasion. My Dad and I go on long rides quite often, and I always get the wave-by when the rode starts to get twisty. I haven't done any trackdays on the CBR yet, but when I did them on the TL some years back, my parents were very supportive of it and understood that track riding was far safer than aggressive street riding. My Dad payed crew-chief for the day, as well as the transportation manager when the day was through and I was too sore to drive. All in all, my family has grown up around motorcycles and other motorsports (I have done many, many autocross and trackdays in cars) and are all for it when it comes time to head to the track.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my dad was always one who wanted a bike and all but never got one because of my mom, she is very against it, last summer i finally convinced her to let me ride, well, she kinda just faced the fact that im out of the house and will do what i want...then after a car pulled out in front of me she got to take care of me all last summer while i was in a wheelchair and doing rehab, so now she despises them even more, and my dad now also hates them

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
it's how "do" your parents feel, not how "does" they feel....

my parents hated it in the beginning and there was lots of drama when i first started 6-7 years ago.... nowadays, they've learned to accept it and they see how it's such an integral part of my life. also, the fact that i've survived the last few years with no major injuries has given them more trust in my ability to ride safely etc... of course, they'd prefer i didn't ride, but they know they can't change me and that "it's my life".

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
My Dad has owned and ridden motorcycles most of his adult life, but when he got married he sold his bikes to buy a house...

... Fast forward a few years. My brother and I now exist, money is a little more abundant and we are ages 7 (me) and 10 (brother). My Dad had the jones to ride again, but wanted to incorporate the family into it... enter the dirt bikes. He picked up a 1979 Suzuki DR-370 for about $150, got it running pretty well and was content with his purchase; a friend of his had some vintage enduro bikes in a shed that he was willing to give away, but warned that they were rough and hadn't ran in years. My Dad quickly swooped in and got the bikes: a 1968 Kawasaki TR-120 that became mine, and a 1972 Yamaha 175 (not sure of the model) that my brother took delivery of. Neither bike ran when we got them, but after cleaning the carburators, cleaning the fuel tanks of the bikes and adding some fresh gas they were on their way to being the best free bikes ever! Natrually, the bikes looked like hell and didn't run as well as a brand new bike did, but they were ours and we got to ride. Most of our riding gear was purchased second hand from yard sales, or anywhere that we could get stuff for cheap (money was still pretty tight); since my brother is older than me by 3 years, I got a lot of hand me downs when he out-grew them. That Christmas, my parents pooled their money together and bought my brother and I brand new riding gear: boots, gloves, jersey, pants and helmet; it was nice to have fresh gear.

Fast forward some more:

My brother and I are growing up, my Dad continues to earn promotions and our bike get progressively nicer. My brother ended up with a pretty nice mid eighties model KX125, and I was on a slightly newer KX80. My brother made the venture into motocross; I was always a BMX racer and my heart was in that, but I started to do some motocross races as well. My Dad never really cared to race motocross, but he would ride the tracks with us and continue to trail ride with us as much as possible; eventually my brother and I were ready to start driving cars and sold the bikes to put a down payment on our first cars.

Fast forward some more:

I was 15 years old with no dirt bike, I started to miss the feeling of being on a motorcycle and yearned to be out there again. Only, this time I was going to do it on the street. I had already purchased my first car (1986 Ford Bronco II) and had a few hundred dollars saved up from my paper-route, so I shopped around for something to ride. My Uncle noticed my interest in street bikes and offered to give me his slightly wrecked (but mechanically sound) 1978 Kawasaki KZ-750 in exchance for some work on his ranch. I couldn't pass up a chance to own 'The Banana' (as we called it, due to its bright yellow paint) for free! I used that extra money to repair some parts of the bike and purchase some suitable riding gear for the street. I got my motorcycle permit as well as my class-C learner's permit and was on my way to motor-vehicle freedom! However, I was the only one in the family on two wheels again.

I continued to ride street bikes throughout high school and eventually upgraded to a 1992 EX500 that I got for next to nothing and later, a 2002 Suzuki TL-1000R that I made payments on. Somewhere in this time frame my brother got another dirt bike and started to race motocross again; my Dad jumped on a good deal and had himself another dirt bike as well. I was invited to trail ride with them and loaned a bike from my cousin for the day; it was a really nice CR-250. I had never ridded anything as powerful as a 250 two stroke before, but I can say that it was addicting! My brother and Dad both had 250's, so they were used to the 3rd gear wheelies and sliding around corners at-will, but for me it was an adventure that lead me to buying my very own YZ-250.

My Mom joined in on the fun and bought a small Yamaha play bike to ride around with us, and my neice got a PW-50 of her own. We were a dirt biking family again, and attended a great deal of motocross races, as well as trail riding. I got into motocross somewhat, but still mostly did it for fun and not looking to make it my only interest. My Dad decided he was at a place where he could finally get the Harley Fatboy that he had always wanted and did just that. He signed up for the MSF course just for a refresher and to bypass the skills test at the DMV (Harley + skills test = FAIL) and offered to pay for me to take the MSF course with him. My Dad is hard of hearing, so he wanted me there to relay the information to him and tell him what the instructors were saying in case he couldn't catch it all. I had ridden for a few years now with only a permit (and when it expired, I rode with nothing)... not the smartest thing. After the MSF course, I got my license and have been legal ever since. I sold the TL when I started to have financial troubles, and later moved back home when my Fiance and I split up months before our wedding.

It's a few years later and I am doing well financially, have a good job and benefits and still have my M1. I picked up my 600rr and never looked back. My Dad still has the Harley, we all still have dirt bikes and my brother still races motocross, as do I on occasion. My Dad and I go on long rides quite often, and I always get the wave-by when the rode starts to get twisty. I haven't done any trackdays on the CBR yet, but when I did them on the TL some years back, my parents were very supportive of it and understood that track riding was far safer than aggressive street riding. My Dad payed crew-chief for the day, as well as the transportation manager when the day was through and I was too sore to drive. All in all, my family has grown up around motorcycles and other motorsports (I have done many, many autocross and trackdays in cars) and are all for it when it comes time to head to the track.
Holy crap, you got some time on your hands there, now do ya'?

K

·
0 Posts
My Mother was a little leery about me getting a bike, my father was ok with it. both were concerned for my safety, but they both know that i am a very good rider. they don't like hearing the stories of the road gremlins, but they both understand that it's just part of the business. They are now very comfortable about me riding, and both are concerned that i would be depressed if i ever hung up the leathers so they are very supportive and are 100% against me getting rid of the bike.

·
Registered
603 Posts
well my parents are from taiwan, so u know how popular those scooter bikes are over there...my pops had one when he was 20-30 age, riding to work and whatnot....got in an accident and never rode it again....when he moved to china for work he bought a cruiser but it was just sitting here....my mom is very against it...

im getting one soon....gonna store it in my friend's garage for first couple of months LOL...and eventually when they "accidentally" see me on it, they will just not care...

same thing with my tatt...i have my back and my ribs tatted up...parents are very against as they are pretty traditional chinese parents....mom saw it when i was changing my shirt, and now she dont care LOL

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
my dad started me riding bikes at 6, and racing at 8, so ive been around bikes my whole life.
my mom worries a bit, but she never said i couldnt do it.
when i was racing a lot she would come watch some of my races even tho her and my dad were divorced.

when i started riding sportbikes a few years ago they were a bit more concerned, but now i dont think they even worry.
surprisingly my dad really liked the idea of my RR being full track instead of a street bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have always wanted to get a bike for the longest time. I knew my parents wouldnt support it so i would have to buy it all on my own. I started talking about it a lot in front of them and got nothing but bad vibes. my mom saidnever ever ever ever could i get one and my dad didnt take me seriously. last month i just picked up an 08 graffiti and my parents dont know about it. As I am dealing with getting insurance and registration etc... it is becoming harder and harder to keep it from them. what should i do?! if i tell them they could make it sell it! my dad said he might cut me off completely from any kind of allowance (im a college student) and i would be financially on my own. if anyone responds to this dont tell me i was an idiot for buying one even though my parents said no. I love my bike and love it more and more each time i ride it. should i tell them and just hope for the best?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
My dad used to have a bike, so he's okay but not too excited about it.

My mom HATES bikes, doesn't want me having anything to do with bikes, and yells at me every time I do anything having to do with bikes.

I didn't tell them I had a bike for 2 years. When they found out, they freaked.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Unintelligently thought out and just plain horrible poll options.

Was hoping that I could actually throw in my vote.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have always wanted to get a bike for the longest time. I knew my parents wouldnt support it so i would have to buy it all on my own. I started talking about it a lot in front of them and got nothing but bad vibes. my mom saidnever ever ever ever could i get one and my dad didnt take me seriously. last month i just picked up an 08 graffiti and my parents dont know about it. As I am dealing with getting insurance and registration etc... it is becoming harder and harder to keep it from them. what should i do?! if i tell them they could make it sell it! my dad said he might cut me off completely from any kind of allowance (im a college student) and i would be financially on my own. if anyone responds to this dont tell me i was an idiot for buying one even though my parents said no. I love my bike and love it more and more each time i ride it. should i tell them and just hope for the best?
puahahaha i am in the same shoes, except i am not on my parents' allowance....how old are u? i figure u'd probably be 21+ or something like that since you're a college student....

well i am 23, and i graduated last yr, got a job, good money, but ever since i was in HS, i've always had a job and always pay for my own stuff....so i'd say stat lookin for a job just in case ur parents threaten to cut u off??

here is another suggestion i have for you (to prevent them to cut u off)...here is what u do...start lookin for a job...make out a plan of how much u'd make a month with that job u're searching....calculate out how much ur expense would be (insurance, maintenance, gas), this shows them that you are being responsible, you're not just using their money to buy some toy u like, ur actually putting work into it and ur gonna pay for the bike or what not....

hope this helps

1 - 20 of 70 Posts