Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned lots of new Honda's and they always loosen up considerably over time. Much more so than the Yami's and Suzi's I've owned. Honda builds by far the best motors so whatever they do is cool with me.

For sure the 600RR is a bold step forward for Honda and I can already tells it's of a different breed. How do you think this will end up for the motor's durability over time? They must have sacraficed something to make such improvments over past 600's?

Not that I'm concerned it will ever wear out, just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
From what I've heard and seen this is one of the top (if the best) 600 on the market right now. I guess the answer to your question is that time will tell and we will just have to see...

I hope that helped, Matt


you do have a very good question that I'm sure someone else can answer better than I.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I have pondered over the same question. I know that Honda makes the best motor or products for that matter, but mainly because most of us have bought the 03 model and its the first year for a totally NEW bike. Im sure Honda did its homework, but should thier be any concerns about reliability, because this is the first year out. I usually wait to buy anything before its been out for atleast a year. This is a good question and I hope someone has a educated answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
From what honda says, It should not be uncommon for this particular bike to rack up in excess of 100k in milage. Now I only have 5k on mine so I dont have any clue weather ir not it'll doit though. I am sure there are RR riders out here that allready have pretty good miles in theirs, so lets hope they put in their 2-cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I have about 9000 miles on mine... He drinks oil like water, but other than that he runs great!... ( I know, I know... shouldn't be going through so much oil, I've checked all the obvious culprits and found nothing, so I'm tacking up to just one of Sharky's quirks)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sticky13, what production number is your bike? I geuss some of the earlier ones consume lots of oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sticky13, what production number is your bike? I geuss some of the earlier ones consume lots of oil.
 

·
Mad Chemist
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
Exelon20 said:
From what honda says, It should not be uncommon for this particular bike to rack up in excess of 100k in milage. Now I only have 5k on mine so I dont have any clue weather ir not it'll doit though. I am sure there are RR riders out here that allready have pretty good miles in theirs, so lets hope they put in their 2-cents.
Woo Hoo, the way the weather is around here, this bike will last me 50 years :lol2:
 

·
Mad Chemist
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
Lil Los said:
I've seen complaints on other boards mentioning how the motors suck up oil fast. No complaints here though.
Use Mobil 1 15W-50, oil consumption is nil. I went with mobil 1 for the 600mi break in oil change. That stuff is great, My dad had a stock chevy 350ci in his van that lasted to 290K miles and still ran like new when he sold it, it used no oil at all, Add six quarts to fill and after 15,000 miles you drain out 5 1/2 quarts with no additions necessary. My '98 jeep is the same way, I change the oil once a year and it runs like new with 90K on it. Well, better than new with all of the performance upgrades on it.

My RR would do that puff of white smoke just a little bit until I went with mobil 1. Some loser harley owners I know have never changed out the Mobil 1 and swear you don't have to but that's a bit too much.

Oh, also, you can actually hear a positive difference in the motor with Mobil 1, it sounds clearly smoother running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,498 Posts
ickysticky13 said:
I have about 9000 miles on mine... He drinks oil like water, but other than that he runs great!... ( I know, I know... shouldn't be going through so much oil, I've checked all the obvious culprits and found nothing, so I'm tacking up to just one of Sharky's quirks)
hey man...mine seems to use alot of oil as well. Mine is like #4665 in the production line. Its still under warranty so I'm taking it in soon to have them look at it. It's a fairly common problem that the honda dealers know about and can supposedly fix. I don't know what is causing it though. So get yours in soon and get it fixed before the warranty is over...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eazy e said:
ickysticky13 said:
I have about 9000 miles on mine... He drinks oil like water, but other than that he runs great!... ( I know, I know... shouldn't be going through so much oil, I've checked all the obvious culprits and found nothing, so I'm tacking up to just one of Sharky's quirks)
hey man...mine seems to use alot of oil as well. Mine is like #4665 in the production line. Its still under warranty so I'm taking it in soon to have them look at it. It's a fairly common problem that the honda dealers know about and can supposedly fix. I don't know what is causing it though. So get yours in soon and get it fixed before the warranty is over...
eazy, #4665 is pretty high on the list. I was hoping they took care of it by then. What month was your made?
Auron what do you mean they always loosen up considerably? Loose HP, knock or what?
_________________
When Honda makes their motors, they like to keep the tolerances between moving parts nice and tight so as it wears, each of these points loosen up over time together and end up being perfectly mated to each other. This makes for slightly less power especially in the beginning, but it's also why there are 193,000 mile CBR900's on the road and still running strong.

The other three Jap manufacturers usually have much faster motor's (GSX-R1000 anyone?) but have less friction in the motor from the beginning and wear out faster in the long run.

I'll never forget hearing Nicky Hayden's RC-51 at PPIR being taken from the garage to pit lane. It rattled and clanked like it was about to blow up, but since it only needed to last 1000 miles, it didn't matter. I'm wondering what Honda (or HRC for that matter) intended for the 600RR's motor ?

Oh yea, it would be great to have everyone list their production number and if they are having trouble with oil consumption. :bounce:

Mines #6925 04/03 but I havn't riden it yet :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,498 Posts
not sure what month it was made....it's outside in the shed under it's blanket sleeping right now...have to check into it later
that's gotta suck getting a bike in the winter and having to wait all winter to ride it....oh well...won't be long
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The engine is not that dissimilar to the F4i. The FI was a bold step forward. They tuned and tweaked to get the RPM's up a bit higher, that's all. If you look at the way the engine is built with internals and dimension wise (bore and stroke) it's old technology that's tried and true, proven over the years just further developed on this application. In essence they "bumped up" the power curve. You can do this in a car if you change the fuel rail, injectors, FPR, etc. It's really not that complex.

And yes, from the factory with tighter tolerances means slower at first, but wil loosen up and last a long time with proper care. Good call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 14 k on mine and no oil consumption at all. # 146 in Canada
So #146 doesn't burn oil, but #45__ does. That's wierd to me. Suppose it's all down to the break in? That mototunesusa guy may be right. Good thing I havn't riden mine...should I break it in hard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
WherzRoony said:
Lil Los said:
I've seen complaints on other boards mentioning how the motors suck up oil fast. No complaints here though.
Use Mobil 1 15W-50, oil consumption is nil. I went with mobil 1 for the 600mi break in oil change. That stuff is great, My dad had a stock chevy 350ci in his van that lasted to 290K miles and still ran like new when he sold it, it used no oil at all, Add six quarts to fill and after 15,000 miles you drain out 5 1/2 quarts with no additions necessary. My '98 jeep is the same way, I change the oil once a year and it runs like new with 90K on it. Well, better than new with all of the performance upgrades on it.

My RR would do that puff of white smoke just a little bit until I went with mobil 1. Some loser harley owners I know have never changed out the Mobil 1 and swear you don't have to but that's a bit too much.

Oh, also, you can actually hear a positive difference in the motor with Mobil 1, it sounds clearly smoother running.
ok I'm sorry if this sounds mean but...

thats pure bs... no particular oil is going to change the way an engine consumes it.... dino goo is dino goo...
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top