Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
since i'm a total newb, i'll tell you what was pointed out to me by that alex guy.

you're bike is leaning like this -> \ going left. however, you're upper body is leaning like this -> /

there really is no correct form tho, even the pros ride completely different from each other. but most people would tell you to get your head more down and to the inside.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Whoa, are you trying to drag knee with jeans? First off, get yourself some leather pants with knee pucks!

Like the others said, your body is crossed up, you want to lean to the inside of the turn, and keep your body low. Also try to relax your arms.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
NoNo wasnt trying to drag knee, which is why I didnt put it down. I totally could put it on the ground if i wanted but not in jeans, I was just trying to practice form and what not. Which is why I asked this question. Actually I went to this thing not knowing what to expect, thought it was more like another msf course.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've been told "outside arse cheek on the seat, inside cheek in the air". I also lean far forward during cornering (6'3''), and find myself looking past (down the inside of) the entire screen and front fairing.

But I've ridden with a guy on a racing VFR400RR, and he's right off the bike dragging everything while going round the outside of me... So wtf do I know?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like Milk? Then get gear..
This means what????

Like I said, I wasnt trying to touch down, Gear is good, But I went to this thing not knowing what it was, thought it was stunt practice that I was going to watch. The question I posed wasnt merely of my form, but rather what is excessive lean off the bike??? In reference to my form I was just asking how off it might be, or if other riders share similar form, In that I can get the bike low without actually leaning way off the bike to strain for the knee down.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
the thing that people forget is that it's not really about getting the bike low. the lower you get the bike, the smaller your contact patch is. you're actually trying to keep the bike more upright, and with the weight off of the top of the bike.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not know that! Makes sense tho.. Which is precicely why I posed the question of how far is too far, bike lean vs body lean. Not that I expect an exact answer :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
the thing that people forget is that it's not really about getting the bike low. the lower you get the bike, the smaller your contact patch is. you're actually trying to keep the bike more upright, and with the weight off of the top of the bike.
+1. The physics of it are simple. As long as the bike stays upright, it's the most stable. So to get the most out of a turn, you basically shift your weight off to one side of the bike while keeping the bike as upright as possible. By upright, I don't mean perpendicular to the road. It's just a point of reference.

The lean comes as you need more force to turn the bike. Dragging knees is just an indication of how far the bike is leaning for people.

As for too far, I think too far is more lean than you need to make the turn.

·
Registered
55 Posts
90 degrees. HAHA, jk, it depends on the bike. Chassis geometry, ground clearance, steering angle and tire grip need to be considered. That's all I know.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
that forms not bad. get some pucks and sew some velcro on the jeans. Drop some pockets in the shins inside for armor and you've got street warrior jeans.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
90 degrees. HAHA, jk, it depends on the bike. Chassis geometry, ground clearance, steering angle and tire grip need to be considered. That's all I know.
see the data from the gp bike deep cornering they were hitting 55 degrees

thats further than i wanna try , spec on the road.........

·
Registered
883 Posts
How far is too far? When you lowside. Just playin. I don't know the actual answer, but what I know from my own experience (which isn't much as I've never been to a track and there aren't many canyons/twisties in IL) is getting too far over is friggin scary!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts