Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering this for a while now but exactly how important is rider weight? I've seen guys that weigh 200=+ haulin ass in the A group at trackdays and then ofcoure there are there are the jockeys like Pedrosa and Stoner. Should a rider that weighs 200lbs try to cut weight to drop his lap times or is that something that racers don't worry about? Anyone know how much Ben Spies weighs? He doesn't look huge but definitly bigger then a lot of the other guys and hes super fast, so how important is it?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
if a guy is really fast at 200 pounds, he would be faster at 175, but i doubt by a huge bit.

google search says Spies is 5'11" 160 pounds.
it will matter more and more on a smaller displacement bike, but a 1000 can get a skilled big guy moving real fast.

·
Registered
770 Posts
yes +1 on power:weight but if youre slow ..i doubt dropping a couple pounds will make u any faster...that should be your last resort to dropping times....unless youre like 250

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
you could also argue tho that fatter guys have more force pushing their tires into the ground in turns.. could be good or bad i guess...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input guys. So do you guys think thats what happens when 2 riders on identical bike have different straight away speed? Like Zemke and Hayes or Ben A Mladin?
Sometimes they come out of corners almost side by side but one pulls away from the other, and I'm like their on the exact same bike, how did that happen...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
yeahh...therefore they can carry less lean angle+speed lol tires can only handle so much
right but without actually doing tests and all that, a bigger dude could actually corner better cuz of his weight, and ur right it does depend on the tires, but im just thinking... maybe my logic is screwed up haha..

actually one thing that a bigger guy might do better is braking with wheel chatter/ rear wheel slipping cuz the bike wont thro a big guy as much as it would a lil skinny go so therefore a big guy might be able to hang on to and save it whereas a skinny guy might not... after i finish studying for my calc test ill try and come up with some numbers and who knows im proly way off track haha..

·
Registered
80 Posts
i've always heard less weight is always better when it comes to trying to go faster. Hope you're not gettin down to an un-healthy weight just to go a little faster though! Probably won't make any difference for the average rider. If you have the ability to push your bike to its limits, then your weight can be an issue.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
right but without actually doing tests and all that, a bigger dude could actually corner better cuz of his weight, and ur right it does depend on the tires, but im just thinking... maybe my logic is screwed up haha..

actually one thing that a bigger guy might do better is braking with wheel chatter/ rear wheel slipping cuz the bike wont thro a big guy as much as it would a lil skinny go so therefore a big guy might be able to hang on to and save it whereas a skinny guy might not... after i finish studying for my calc test ill try and come up with some numbers and who knows im proly way off track haha..

I get what you're trying to say, but turning, braking, accelerating the lighter guy will always have an advantage, all things being equal. Think about it like this: You are trying to act on a force. When braking, you are acting against inertia. More weight creates more inertia. Same with turning and accelerating.

as far as the weight of the rider on the tires, that might come into effect a little bit, but because of lighter weight, you dont need the added grip of the tire.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am a bigger guy, but am much faster than a lot of my riding buddies in turns, on 6's and 10's. I would have to guess that at most of our levels, rider ability far outweighs rider weight.

(See wut I did thar?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
thats about a full system exhaust, race fairings and a set of magnesium wheels.
I've always thought it was funny when people spent thousands on their bike to reduce weight while not losing weight themselves (much cheaper)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts