Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first sportbike and the touchy throttle and brakes are unnerving to say the least. Did you feel immediately comfortable on your first "fast" bike or did it come with time? If it did take some time, when did you start feeling comfortable with your bike?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Didn't take too long, maybe like an hour or two.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Quoted for :gay:ness.....

Took me few hours or so :drunk:
:crackup: wait, maybe we should define comfortable......i mean i was ready for some canyons after a day or two. not, okay i know how the throttle is gonna respond and how the brakes are gonna feel when i squeeze the lever:drunk:

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
my 600rr is my first, and well it took about 100 feet, then I was comfortable, but always felt nervous the first few feet, just needed to get warmed up,

there was a little nerves before I got on, but those will start to calm as you enjoy riding more, just take it easy,

best thing to learn the throttle is to take your bike on a secluded road, dead end of something and just accelerate and de-accelerate, learn how to be smooth at different RPMs, then you will be smoother on the road,

good luck, you will get used to the speed quickly and it will seem like you arent going that fast after a while,

stickies down!!!!

oh I have been riding for about 3 months now, daily commute, freeways are fun, expressways are to crowded, 03 600rr, stock, thinking about exhaust,

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Doesn't take long at all if you've been riding awhile. Reason being is with enough time in the saddle, you should know what to do in emergency situations and the basics (braking, throttle control, cornering) are literally the same, regardless of what type of bike you ride. It should be second nature after enough time riding various roads. *Obviously the person who only does straight line rides is going to be more nervous in a decreasing radius corner than someone who rides those kinds of roads often.

*And I say basics are literally the same because in my experience, I tend to rely on the rear brake on Harley's and other heavy cruisers more than I do on sportbikes and other non-cruiser types. Requires more creativity to get those cows to do what you want them to do. They just need a bit of encouragement..lol

Love my 600, though she still feels like I'm riding a fast bmx. Which is both good and bad. It would be worse if she was a SuperMoto and I would probably have more angst because of the way I would want to ride her..lol

Though I know I need a dirt bike because if I had the SM, my oem front tire would look knew for years. :cruising:

·
Registered
426 Posts
parking lot-10 min

public roads-compliments to cagers for still freaking me out sometimes. but if they're not on the road, probably a good month for me to feel good with the shifting, braking for turns, avoiding animals on the road, hard braking, etc.

rain-3 rides out in pouring rain was enough for me to avoid it. too much gas = back tire doing the wiggly.

Honestly, a lot of people wouldn't recommend going out at night but i did until i felt good enough to ride in traffic. When your riding in 12pm - 7pm conditions you shouldn't be focusing on the basics, that should come second nature by then. My area allows me to do this without worrying about deer though so...your call.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The 600 was my first bike (6 yrs ago...shiet, has it been that long?), so it took me a long time adjusting, learning & coping with the 600. I mainly struggled with it's weight because I didn't know how to ride. And I don't mean riding in a straight line or making basic turns. LOL!

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
The 600 was my first bike (6 yrs ago...shiet, has it been that long?), so it took me a long time adjusting, learning & coping with the 600. I mainly struggled with it's weight because I didn't know how to ride. And I don't mean riding in a straight line or making basic turns. LOL!
yeah, i think a lot of the ppl here are meaning comfortable, as in they were able to ride the bike home w/o crashing:drunk:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
if were talking about comfortable to ride home then a few hours had to get over the thought of damn i just bout a new bike, what the hell i dont even know how to ride this thing, well imma just hop on and see how it goes first 3 miles i was like this is cake rode the other 91 miles like it was nothing

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm on my first motorcycle with no prior experience. 10 minutes after picking up the bike, I was in the slow lane on the fwy and had to quickly accelerate from 60 to 80+ because a driver entering from the on-ramp didn't see me, the person behind me was too close for me to brake, and there was a semi on my left. Acceleration ... check.

45 minutes after picking up the motorcycle, I was on surface street, a driver decided to exit a driveway without looking to their left. Braking power ... check.

Now that I reflect on it, the most nerve racking experience throughout learning the behavior of the bike was the break-in period of the tires. Afterwards, I can say that I was comfortable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Took me maybe an hour or so when I first got my RR.

First time I rode it, it really scared me to death though. When I test rode it down the street I didn't have anything other than a helmet either. So I went out the next day and bought a jacket and gloves. The added safety from the gear made me much more comfortable on the bike.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
3 weekends... First bike ever, no MSF. Edit to add, anyone can ride a straight line, thats not the hard part when riding for the first time.... Practice the u-turns, lol, and other low speed msf skills..... Thats what I focused on for my first 3 weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've only had mine for about a week, but i feel comffortable on it though. This is my 3rd sportbike, so maybe its easier for some.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ive had a few dirt bikes etc before i got my first sportbike so i generally knew how to ride a bike.

Took me a few hours to get comfy with the bike's controls, throttle, brakes etc.

However thats where the real learning begins, being properly comfortable with the bike has only started to come within the last 500miles. What i mean is, comfortable at speed, cornering happy for the bike to move underneath me and to not particularly have to think about what im doing before i do it in regards to throttle control, lines through corners, etc.

Id say it takes a good few thousand miles to get properly comfortable.

Ive done aroung 2500miles since getting my RR in May.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You ride a lot. I got mine in April 10 and only have 900 miles. I feel that I am comfortable with it, but I don't really push it a lot.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts