Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya how long do battries usually last for?

Would it matter if the bike is being ridden all day or not ridden at all?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It doesn't matter how much you ride as long as your Stator is working properly and you have no current draws when your bike is off. If you don't plan to ride it through the winter season, I'd charge the battery once a month or at least start the bike up and run it depending on the time its going to sit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
most motorcycle shops here in Phx say you will get 2 yrs if you're lucky, usually 1 year in this heat. My CBR is a 2003 with the original battery and no issues. Just keep it on a battery tender if you're winterizing it and don't ever store a battery on cement directly if you are pulling it out of the bike for any reason.

Also keep in mind that the 2003 and 04 600RR (not sure of newer models) will not begin to charge the battery until you hit 6500-7000 RPM's. The very first few 600rr's off the line (mine included) had problems with drawing a lot of power and new riders would have bettry issues because they would avoid getting the bike over the mid-range RPMs. Starting and idleing your bike can actually deplete the battery life and draw more power than it is charging. Again, this is all the earlier models, if there is something different, I haven't kept up with it.

K

·
0 Posts
don't ever store a battery on cement
Also keep in mind that the 2003 and 04 600RR (not sure of newer models) will not begin to charge the battery until you hit 6500-7000 RPM's.
Both statements entirely false.

The very first few 600rr's off the line (mine included) had problems with drawing a lot of power and new riders would have bettry issues because they would avoid getting the bike over the mid-range RPMs.
That wasn't the problem. The problem was under engineered Rectifier / regulator mounting designs. No sir, it was the fault of all these idiots who THOUGHT that the bike wouldn't charge the battery until a certain high RPM who would run around town going 30 MPH in 2nd gear were cooking their R/Rs to the point of failure, and thusly damaging batteries and other various electrical components that was the problem... and well well well, lookie here, it's spreading itself even further down the generations... Help do your part and stop spreading this crap. it stems from a false interpretation of a testing parameter used to determine the working condition of the charging system.

Starting and idleing your bike can actually deplete the battery life and draw more power than it is charging. Again, this is all the earlier models, if there is something different, I haven't kept up with it.
Fact of the matter is that if your cbr600rr is working properly, and the motor is running, the battery is receiving a charge weather you have a 2003 or a 2008.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was up to 8 years on my ZX7R battery when I sold the bike..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My first battery on my 05 went out in a little over a year. Parking my bike outside in severe heat everyday and not maintaining it didn't help. I was at a point where I push-started the bike for a week. Then one day, on the way to work, bike just died on me in the middle of an intersection. I tried push-starting it for, what it seemed like, a mile. Couldn't start. So when I got the new battery, I monitor and maintain it every chance I get. Now I'm all paranoid about the battery dying on me. LOL!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Both statements entirely false.

That wasn't the problem. The problem was under engineered Rectifier / regulator mounting designs. No sir, it was the fault of all these idiots who THOUGHT that the bike wouldn't charge the battery until a certain high RPM who would run around town going 30 MPH in 2nd gear were cooking their R/Rs to the point of failure, and thusly damaging batteries and other various electrical components that was the problem... and well well well, lookie here, it's spreading itself even further down the generations... Help do your part and stop spreading this crap. it stems from a false interpretation of a testing parameter used to determine the working condition of the charging system.

Fact of the matter is that if your cbr600rr is working properly, and the motor is running, the battery is receiving a charge weather you have a 2003 or a 2008.

Let me start by saying I didn't cook my CBR, from my looking I have put more miles on that bike than anyone on this board.

Let me continue by saying the specific information about my 03 600rr was from my Honda mechanic (Who races AMA), whom I trust the word of more than you.

When MY CBR was having problems not wanting to start when she was young, the only way to ensure it would hold a charge, was to do a quick trip down the road where some highway speeds (and RPMs) would be reached. Alternators charge batteries. Alternator RPMs are about 2:1 to the engine. Thus more engine RPMs=More Alternator RPMs=More charge for the battery to draw when the regulater determines it to be of low voltage. If you have more power drain than you alternator can keep up with, especially if it's really hot or cold, you can slowly drain more than you replenish. The early 600rr's were pigs on power. Possibly due to the reasons you stated.

The cement floor of your garage is much hotter or colder than the surrounding air usually. Extreme temperatures drain batteries. So does moisture and in most parts of the country, there is this stuff called snow that sticks to the wheels of your car occasionally and can be tracked into your garage.

Let me sum up by saying I'm not a "SIR"....I'm a lady and watch your mouth. Profanity is the punctuation of those incapable of being profound. You can say "I don't agree with that" without being a tool.

K

·
0 Posts
Let me start by saying I didn't cook my CBR, from my looking I have put more miles on that bike than anyone on this board.
yay...

Let me continue by saying the specific information about my 03 600rr was from my Honda mechanic (Who races AMA), whom I trust the word of more than you

trust who ever you like, but you're getting mis-information from this source.

Alternators charge batteries.
yes they do.

Alternator RPMs are about 2:1 to the engine.
No they don't. the generator magnets are mounted directly to the fly wheel... it spins 1:1 exactly. 13,250 Engine RPMs, 13,250 Generator Rotor RPMs, 0 Stator RPMs.

If you have more power drain than you alternator can keep up with, especially if it's really hot or cold, you can slowly drain more than you replenish.
With a motorcycle that is in spec, the generator will charge the battery at idle. if you don't believe me (which wouldn't surprise me), i can prove it to you and we put a wager on it. I am that confident. I've done it many times before.

The cement floor of your garage is much hotter or colder than the surrounding air usually. Extreme temperatures drain batteries. So does moisture and in most parts of the country, there is this stuff called snow that sticks to the wheels of your car occasionally and can be tracked into your garage.
humid air effects batteries, no doubt... but doesn't that kinda mean that it doesn't matter WHERE you put the battery, that it's still going to be in the SAME humid air? The battery is encased in Plastic so it sitting in a 1/32 inch of water doesn't make a difference even if it were 1 inch of water. It's true battery temperature effects it's self discharge rate, however extreme HEAT drains a battery faster than extreme cold. actually, if a VRLA battery is colder (say just below freezing) it retains it's charge better over a period of time. Also, i live in wisconsin. says it right under my avatar... something much unlike your gender. i know what snow is.

Let me sum up by saying I'm not a "SIR"....I'm a lady and watch your mouth. Profanity is the punctuation of those incapable of being profound. You can say "I don't agree with that" without being a tool.
Watching my mouth is hard for my eyes to do without a mirror. I didn't realize you were a woman, but that doesn't change my demeanor towards you. i could honestly care less what sex you are, you'll get the same response i give anyone else. nothing new. I haven't used any profanity, at least one anyone would consider a swear word. if 'idiot' was the word that set you off, then aren't you the pot calling the kettle black... if you're offended, go cry into a pillow or something. do what you need to do to get over it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The stock battery on my 06 took a **** on me after 7 months, 1 month after the warranty date!! And I never leave the ignition on unless the motor is running!

·
Registered
309 Posts
this thread has been hilarious thanks to knightslugger and rocketchiq. Can anyone define how to "properly maintain" a battery in what is possibly "extreme heat"? Also if it's to the point that you are either push-starting or charging/jumping everytime, is it too late for the battery to work properly? And is the difference between charging and jumping something like charging = battery tender and jumping = jumper cables? What about those little battery boxes with the jumper cables connected, does that have a negative effect on the battery?

·
Registered
394 Posts
yeah my 05 still has the stock battery in it...

·
Registered
309 Posts
my 08 went to **** after about 9 months of riding. I ride everyday basically and never go more than two days off the bike.

·
Registered
639 Posts
this thread has been hilarious thanks to knightslugger and rocketchiq. Can anyone define how to "properly maintain" a battery in what is possibly "extreme heat"? Also if it's to the point that you are either push-starting or charging/jumping everytime, is it too late for the battery to work properly? And is the difference between charging and jumping something like charging = battery tender and jumping = jumper cables? What about those little battery boxes with the jumper cables connected, does that have a negative effect on the battery?

If its to the point that you have to push start your bike something is wrong with it, and needs to be identified and addressed, if it was something simple like you left your head lights on then simply charging the battery with a battery tender will work. if your bike just wont start for no reason even after the battery has been charged, it could be several things, bad battery being one of them but not the only culprit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts