Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the dealership to test a fuel pump, get approval for warranty work, order a new oem from Honda, receive it from the factory and install it.

Im talking mail time. and aslo talking warrenty work, not their highest priorty I understand; from start to finish with that aside.

·
Registered
991 Posts
How much did they quote you for parts and labor? I dont know the answer to your question but am looking at a new fuel pump myself and I dont know if I will have time to do it myself any time soon.

D

·
0 Posts
Warranty parts are usually shipped next day or 2nd day. If it was ordered after 2PM PST on a Thursday or on Friday, Monday arrival.

Now, that is if the shop is not being lazy and doing things correctly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dropped off last friday. A week later they have ordered the part, and awaiting apporval from Honda

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much did they quote you for parts and labor? I dont know the answer to your question but am looking at a new fuel pump myself and I dont know if I will have time to do it myself any time soon.
I dont know. They told me that Honda takes longer to approve work over 300 dollars, but I have no idea how much the total bill is. If it wasn't covered under warrenty I would order the part and put it in myself, but up until yesterday, I only assumed it was the fuel pump. I dont have the tools to test thinks so that would have been cost over top of the fuel pump itself

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No special tools are required for testing the fuel pump.

This is what they said... the fuel pump is pulling over 16 amps and sould only be pulling like 3.4 amps. I dont have the tools to test that.

Honda didnt believe them and told the tech to test a bike they had on the showroom floor, and it was 3.4 amps

D

·
0 Posts
I can see why Honda wont believe them. How do they know it's pulling 16 amps if the smallest fuse on that circuit is a 10A fuse? The fuses should blow before the tech has a chance to even measure the amps if it's over the fuse rating.

What I don't understand is why they're checking for amp draw when they should be checking voltage and continuity of the pump.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It kept blowing the fuse. When I would start the bike, it would run for less than 30 seconds, blown fuse.

D

·
0 Posts
Then there is either a short to ground or an internal failure of the fuel pump. All of which could be detected and figured out within 30 seconds of having the tank lifted. Amp draw means nothing to Honda.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then there is either a short to ground or an internal failure of the fuel pump. All of which could be detected and figured out within 30 seconds of having the tank lifted. Amp draw means nothing to Honda.

Nothing else is shorting out on the bike, so I have thought all along that it was the fuel pump. Im just kinda shocked that I took a week for them to order the part. They told me they should know something in three days from the date I dropped it off. I stopped by on day 3 and they hadn't even touched my bike.

When I dopped the bike off, I was next in line, their "on deck" storage was emtpy. After three days, the room was full and my bike was last on their list :cursin: So I posted this just to see how long it should take a dealership to order a fuel pump and install it

·
Registered
991 Posts
Dude, just go back and tell them to give you your bike back and to stop jerking you around. When they get the pump, go pick it up and do the work yourself it isnt that hard at all and you dont need "special" tools. I am probably going to change out my fuel pump in the next week or so (as soon as I find one for a decent price) and I will take pictures and walk you through it if you need help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It really should be a simple job, but I would expect dealer turn around on this to be up to 2 weeks.

If they were really working, this should be a 4-5 day turn around from ordering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts