Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
honestly...if i hit my head hard enough to trash a helmet during a race weekend, my ass isnt getting back out there on the track that weekend. regardless if i have a spare helmet with me or not. Even if you feel ok, you have no idea how you will feel in a couple hours, or even minutes. A lot can go on internally, especially with the brain and sensory and nerve systems. trust me. and the last thing you want to do is get out there and put others in danger, nevermind yourself.

i know others will have a totally different opinion. im just giving my medical opinion

edit: just re read and realized you said trackdays. my opinion is still valid you could still put people in danger including yourself

·
Registered
97 Posts
I take both my helmets to the track just in case. One is already knicked up a bit, so that is the main one I use for T-days.

But I sure wouldn't be using a $600+ arai as a track helmet. You'll be awfully upset if you wreck your nice new Nicky helmet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
sargeek1975 said:
I bring one helmet as well................if I have a bad enough get off to have to trash that helmet I prolly won't be doing much riding that weekend.
+1.................

·
Registered
322 Posts
I take two, and have come home with one only on a few occasions.

One bang/scrape/visible damage on a helmet and its done its job for me. I did have to borrow from a spectator on one occasion, so thats why I have two.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
600rrpilot said:
honestly...if i hit my head hard enough to trash a helmet during a race weekend, my ass isnt getting back out there on the track that weekend. regardless if i have a spare helmet with me or not. Even if you feel ok, you have no idea how you will feel in a couple hours, or even minutes. A lot can go on internally, especially with the brain and sensory and nerve systems. trust me. and the last thing you want to do is get out there and put others in danger, nevermind yourself.

i know others will have a totally different opinion. im just giving my medical opinion

edit: just re read and realized you said trackdays. my opinion is still valid you could still put people in danger including yourself

just kidding...but i bring two cause wtf i may as well give it another whirl after i crash and smack my head.....it may make me go faster

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have 2. A cheap ass CKX and an AGV V-Flyer. Went down once on the last track day with the AGV. Luckily it didnt hit the ground :D Next time Ill be using the cheapy..

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I take my AGV TiTech and my Scorpion. My scorpion is more comfortable but doesn't vent as well. While I'm just doing trackdays, I'll use the scorpion most sessions so I don't trash my good one before I need it.

and from what I've heard most race orgs don't let you use a helmet if its been damaged at all from a crash right?

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
I was trying to explain this to my girlfriend and she just didnt get it! I bought a new helmet for the track because I dont want to wreck my X-11.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just gonna buy the mofo...I'll sit on it for a month and see how I feel about it then. If I go down w/ it then it was money well spend and I'll get another. Piss on it if you can't afford to replace a nice helmet then racing is going to be too expensive for you. Not that you can't get a nice helmet for less than an Arai but what I should say is that if you can't afford to piss away $600 every now and again you shouldn't be racing.
-Nathan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bring 2 and so far have been lucky / slow enough to make it back with both of them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mongoose said:
if you can't afford to piss away $600 every now and again you shouldn't be racing.
Painfully true I suppose.
I carry 2 helmets, 2 suits, 2 gloves and 2 boots as well. Tech inspection is tough over here. Basically I just never sold my old kit and bought a new one for this season.

Word...

·
Registered
200 Posts
man that all costs too much for my blood

·
Registered
799 Posts
I bring two. Racing and track days are different. If I'm putting all the effort into doing well, as long as I'm medically cleared, I'm racing. Also, don't forget, if the helmet did it's job you probably will be fine (well, your head anyway).

When I crash (lowside), I've learned to tuck my chin on my chest to avoid banging the lid... works like a charm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts