Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many miles a sport bike can go for? Can it go up to 200,000 miles like a car?

·
Registered
171 Posts
well ive heard of them with well over 100,000 on them...i think with the right maintenance and care they can.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
its all about the maintenance... keep up on EVERYTHING and it will go for a long long time... im at 30K on my RR right now and it still runs perfect. my first bike 7 years ago was an old gsxr and it had 70K on the clock when i sold it to a friend of mine who still has it today and it still runs good.

so whats the extent... i dont know... but if you take care of it, it will take care of you

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
bikes will either be crashed or sold for the latest greatest before you get to 100k. touring bikes see that kind of mileage, not sportbikes but not because they can't get that much mileage on them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've seen plenty of sportbikes with over 100k and still going strong. Most of them are Honda's in fact. I think how long a bike lives depends on a few factors:
1. luck - getting one that was put together perfectly at the factory
2. how it's ridden - I think almost everyone will agree that a bike that is ridden hard will die sooner than one that has an easy life.
3. maintenance - enough said

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've seen plenty of sportbikes with over 100k and still going strong. Most of them are Honda's in fact. I think how long a bike lives depends on a few factors:
1. luck - getting one that was put together perfectly at the factory
2. how it's ridden - I think almost everyone will agree that a bike that is ridden hard will die sooner than one that has an easy life.
3. maintenance - enough said

thats so true to.. some bikes are just lemons from the factory

·
Registered
502 Posts
A guy at my work has a GSXR1000 with 178,000 miles on it. The bike runs perfectly and still looks sharp.

If you take care of it properly it should go at least 100,000 miles, even if you thrash it in the canyons and on the occasional track day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A guy at my work has a GSXR1000 with 178,000 miles on it. The bike runs perfectly and still looks sharp.

If you take care of it properly it should go at least 100,000 miles, even if you thrash it in the canyons and on the occasional track day.

Does he ever add oil in his GSXR? How is the power on it does it still have good torque?

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
if its a honda they go till you wreck them and sometimes longer...
the reason you dont see a ton of bikes going that high isnt because they arent capable its because they are wrecked most likely. not a lot of guys hold on to the same bike for years and years and years.... and usually when they sell an older bike its to some kid who doesnt have a ton of money and then he wrecks it... its just the way things are

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
I am really amazed that the miles that you all have seen on sport-bikes. I personally NEVER seen anything more than 40k and that was on my 93 F2 I had. Wow I would love to see and ride a bike with that kind of miles and see If It really does run that good.. That Is cool thanks for posting this thread. :rocker:
Stephen

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Have seen 45,650 on a Fz6 and 287,000 on a gold wing. But like everyone said they will be traded or wrecked before they approach high numbers

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
Yup true my F2 was wrecked at 40k + miles on it

I Have seen 45,650 on a Fz6 and 287,000 on a gold wing. But like everyone said they will be traded or wrecked before they approach high numbers

·
Registered
502 Posts
Does he ever add oil in his GSXR? How is the power on it does it still have good torque?
The bike does not burn any oil nor does it leak any oil. It looks really clean, a lot better than a lot of bikes with no where near that many miles on it.

The bike is still really fast. I rode it and it is still really fast.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've always have been of the opinion that motorcycles are more reliable than cars. My old {and very abused} 50,000+ mile CBR600 F1 never left me stranded.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
sorry to break it down to you man.. you're probably gonna get 20,000 miles at most.

hahaha jk. but it will come true if u bounce off the limiter and beat the piss out of it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
sorry to break it down to you man.. you're probably gonna get 20,000 miles at most.

hahaha jk. but it will come true if u bounce off the limiter and beat the piss out of it.

my 03 got the piss beat out of it and saw the rev limiter alot it had 36k on it when i sold it never missed a beat or burnt a drop of oil ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a firm believer that if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
Im willing to say I could ride my CT70 from New York, to California with only stops for gas. If you really keep up on it, it will last. Bikes dont seem as disposable as cars do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Another myth. Sportbikes can and will take a surprising amount of abuse.

I know of friends a R6 that has 20,000 miles on it right now. It's been pissed on, abused, tracked, dropped, totalled, raped and God knows what else. it's been serviced, but only sporadically.

It dynoed at 106rwhp couple of weeks ago. :rocker:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts