Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we all know the mileage mark for a car is about 100,000. What is a bike's 100,000 mile mark?

I'm just unsure what is considered high mileage on a motorcycle.

What would ya'll say?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
There was a bike posted here somewhere with over 100000 miles on it. Answers will vary here. Some people say they wont buy a bike with 25000 miles on it, but some would see that as nothing. I personally would say around 50000, but probably less than 60% of sportbikes ever see it. Just my $.o2

·
Registered
534 Posts
i dont consider 100k high for a car. My honda had 250k and ran like it was brand new.

100k for a bike is an accomplishment. Bikes don't see that mileage because people crash them, not because they dont have that life span.

i'm not sure what i would consider high miles for a bike.

D

·
0 Posts
It's too many miles when the bike is done for. Any bike, especially a Honda, will last longer then most of us will live, and that is while being ridden daily, as long as it is properly maintained. Oh, and high miles starts when the odometer rolls over and reads 1.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
i dont consider 100k high mileage for todays cars......maybe still for domestic brands, but def not for honda, toyota, etc. 100 k was mileage mark of maybe the times up until the late 80s maybe

for a bike, i would think that 100k is a true milestone and def maybe a good time to get another bike and / or relegate that bike to less usage and more care

·
Registered
452 Posts
My EX500 had 65k on the clock when I sold it. Sure, the suspension was toasted and the general appearance of the bike was poor, but boy did it run well. I bought the bike for $200, changed the oil, cleaned and re-synched the carburators added a K&N filter and rode it for 35k miles with only basic maintenance and 3 sets of tires.

My friend's dad has a BMW with 128K miles on it (it's a 2003 model). A co-worker has 50k+ on a 2003 R1. I average 7,500 a year, and forsee owning my bike for at least 5 years (37,500 miles).

As was mentioned, it is more about maintenance and up-keep (and keeping it upright:laughing1) than a cold, hard number on the odometer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just hit over the 6000 mile mark on my 07 and it's just barely starting to break in... I love it... but still afraid to put alot of miles on it but so hard not to

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
As long as it's properly maintained, and any necessary repairs are made before they lead to more stuff breaking, then mileage shouldn't really matter. 100k is pretty low for todays cars, especially Jap cars. My '89 Accord has 389k miles, all original, and still runs like new, and still as reliable as any new car. My '04 F4i has just over 128,700 miles and still runs and rides like new as well.... still ridden each and every day for my 70 mile/day commute, and still every bit as reliable as a new bike... I take her everywhere! Other than the headlight being a little foggy, she still looks pretty damn good too! (one guy who didn't know the mileage was trying to guess by looking at it... he said 7500)

I see it all as a matter of opinion. I've seen alot of people that think 10k is high mileage for a bike, but to me that's only about 3 months of riding so I don't see it as a big deal. I know I'd much rather buy a high mileage vehicle that's been well cared for than a lower mileage vehicle that's been neglected and/or abused. I also wouldn't buy something that's a few years old with virtually no miles on it.... sitting unused is the worst thing for any vehicle

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Depends on the vehicle. After my experience with VW/Audi cars, I found that anything over 60k means $$$$ in maintenance with those cars. Sure, if you have the money it can last for much longer. Most people trade em off though or lease. As for bikes, no amount of mileage is too much as long as the price reflects the age and mileage. I've seen some pretty roached out bikes, but people still ride them. Even with burning oil, fork leaks, cracking tires, weather beaten and rusted...people get em running anyway...especially if it is a Honda.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Depends on the vehicle. After my experience with VW/Audi cars, I found that anything over 60k means $$$$ in maintenance with those cars. Sure, if you have the money it can last for much longer. Most people trade em off though or lease. As for bikes, no amount of mileage is too much as long as the price reflects the age and mileage. I've seen some pretty roached out bikes, but people still ride them. Even with burning oil, fork leaks, cracking tires, weather beaten and rusted...people get em running anyway...especially if it is a Honda.
i def wouldnt ride those roached out bikes............to me it isnt worth the safety risks.................. i mean a roached out car is one thing, but a roached out bike................. the margin of error for is some part fails on a bike versus most other vehicles is so much less....i wouldnt risk riding a bike in such condition

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
60k on my 06 cbr600rr.......still dyno's at the same power it did when I got it.
very impressive!! I consider high miles 180k +, but i dont consider that unreasonable for a car these days since theyre so reliable in general. Bike's as long as they are cared for should be able to last just as long. I would love to see a RR with 200k on it someday lol :icon_lol:

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
very impressive!! I consider high miles 180k +, but i dont consider that unreasonable for a car these days since theyre so reliable in general. Bike's as long as they are cared for should be able to last just as long. I would love to see a RR with 200k on it someday lol :icon_lol:
When I am looking to buy a car, anything past 250k I get iffy depending on the history.

All of my current cars all have 200k+ miles on them.....I don't know what I would do with myself if I had a car with less miles.

And I hope to have 150k+ by the time my 600rr warranty runs up in 2011.

·
Registered
5 Posts
agreed... my F2 had 50k on it when I sold it and it ran great! its the same as anything else.... I would rather have a bike with 50k miles that has been maintained, than a stunt bike with 5k miles on it!
its all in how the bike lived its life!
Honda puts out such a reliable product now - I just picked up a 600rr with 15k miles and I feel that its just been broken in!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have a buddy on my other forum( its not a honda) that has a 1974 bmw with 165,000 on it and he still rides long trips on it from ohio up into washington state and beyond.... valve adjustments, fresh oil, and sparkplugs is all he's ever did to it..pretty damn amazing i think...

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
i have a buddy on my other forum( its not a honda) that has a 1974 bmw with 165,000 on it and he still rides long trips on it from ohio up into washington state and beyond.... valve adjustments, fresh oil, and sparkplugs is all he's ever did to it..pretty damn amazing i think...
Only 165k? My 1979 honda prelude has 439k on it...stock motor, original clutch, and all I have ever done to it was rebuild the carbs (the car sat for awhile) and changed the oil...

K

·
0 Posts
mileage isn't important. simply said. there is no magic number, and for anyone to say otherwise has to justify their rationale and hold up to my scrutiny first.

·
Registered
594 Posts
well its a honda. there's a guy on my other forum who has logged well over 100k on his f4i. he took very very good care of his bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts