Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How many of you installed it yourselves!

• Hells yea I did it on my own

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Ummm...I had someone else do it :-/

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do the 520 conversion on my bike as soon as it comes in from motomummy. I was wondering, how many of you guys out there installed the 520 conversion on your bikes yourself. Ive only seen 1 write up on here.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I wouldn't have had my racestand i would have had someone do it, It wasnt to hard at all if you have a chainbreaker. I used a Ax. haha

·
Registered
397 Posts
Get a quality chain breaker / press tool and do it. The hardest part is wiggling the front spocket cover out. You'll have to replace the 520 a little more often so the breaker is a good investment.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
looks like im the only one that paid to get it done.... doh

·
Registered
471 Posts
I do everything myself, gonna start doing my tires too once I pick up a balancer. You definitely need a stand, a dremel makes zippin off that master link a little easier, but Id pick up a chain breaker. You could save some money if you buy a small press, ive seen some for as low as 20 bucks. If you dont have a dremel, its worth it to spend a little extra for a nicer breaker/press.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
thats fine to break the chain but what a about putting it on??

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i bought a quality D.I.D. style cutter/riveter off ebay for 30 bucks shipped brand new... but i cant seem to find them again...

easy job with the right tools

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I had a friend (forum member from FL) help me with the install as I didn't have the tools. Its much easier if you have 2 people, but its doable with one person as long as you have the proper tools.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i wouldnt use a dremel to cut the new chain. I used a cheap chain breaker and had a BITCH of a time getting the masterlink to sit right. GOD it was horrible...

if I would have used the riveting/cutting tool for the whole job it would have gone super smoothly

but yeah, you can cut the old chain

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did it and the hardest part was riviting the chain. I went through 3 masterlinks before I had it perfect. It was my first time. I used a set of calipers to make sure every measurment was right on. If you take your time and do it right and check evrything youll be ok, But IMO a installing a chain is not the place to cut corners. if your unsure have soemone who knows do it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am very mechanicly inclined and I have a large set of snap-on tools but I also like to do things right, so I paid $100 to have my first 520 set and speedohealer installed (He even dyno'd it for me) while I watched and asked questions. now I have the first hand experience and proper know how to do it confidently in the future.

If you can find a mechanic cool enough to do that for you, I'd say it's well worth the cost!............but you can do it yourself without too much trouble, the only problem is that you won't know if you make a mistake!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts