Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know you guys probably have different gear (multiple helmets and maybe different jackets for different weather). I'm trying to budget out my first gear. The gear that you ride with on any given day, how much did you pay for it?

I don't necessarily need to know what you ride in, but for example:

Helmet $xxx
Jacket $xxx
Gloves $xxx
Pants $xxx
Boots $xxx
Armor $xxx

Thanks

·
Registered
phoenix, RIP. team white, RIP. 1098S, sold. only a cage as transport for now.
2,147 Posts
helmet: $400ish
jackets: $600ish
gloves: $80ish
boots: $350ish
armor: $100ish

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Can one truly put a price on safety? - Rhetorical. :)

Don't take this the wrong way (and apologies for side-tracking your question at hand), but don't feel "locked in" towards having to spend a certain amount of money for your first set(s) of gear. Gear is available for all types of budgets.

IMHO, you should set your budget and look for gear that fits within that amount of money - start pricing stuff out and see how far your dollar goes.

Concentrate on finding gear that fits properly and feels comfortable (as well as providing a solid level of protection; ie - gear appropriate for the type of riding you do, whether it's solely on the street or strictly for track duty, or a combination of both).

You can spend as little as perhaps $30 on any of the above pieces of gear in your list above or as high as several hundred dollars per item.

If you want the "higher end" stuff for cheap, look for "closeout/sale" pricing at several of our forum sponsors/vendors - just remember to move quickly before the sizes you want are sold out (as with anything else, this typically happens when awesome deals are announced). Gotta act quick and purchase 'em before others buy 'em up. LOL

G'luck...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Helmets: 4 total $1800
Jacket: $489
gloves: 2 total $600
Leather pants: $200
Boots: $389

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
AStars MX-1 suit - 699
Shoei X-11 helmet - 359
Bell Star helmet - 199
Held Phantom gloves - 199
Held Slide Comp gloves - 159

Sent from Rob's iPhone 4 using motorcycle.com app

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
3 Helmets:
  • Icon Domain 2 Mechanica - $190
  • AGV GP-Tech Combat Black - $325
  • Bell Star Cerwinske Carbon - $265

2 Jackets
  • RS-Taichi GMX Motion - $425
  • Rev'it Air Jacket - $120

4 Gloves
  • Icon Stealth Gloves - $50
  • Spidi CarboSix - $120
  • Held Phantom - $227
  • Rev'it ___ - $50

2 Pants $519
  • Dainese Drake Air - $269
  • RS-Taichi GMX Motion Pants - $230

4 Shoes/Boots
  • TCX Riding Shoes - $70
  • Sidi Vertigo Air (X2) - $300 and $250
  • Sidi Vortice Air - $390

Armor
  • Dainese Wave Kneck V - $469
  • Forcefield L2 Pro - $125
  • Forcefield Back Insert Upgrade - $65
  • Dainese Knee V - $65
  • Dainese Pro Shorts - $100

1 Suit
  • Dainese Redline Suit - $1070

Wow, I've never really calculated it all up before. I've been riding for 2.5 years.

I'm not rich, I'm actually an unemployed student...Hahah, I guess that's where most of my scholarship money and savings went...

NOTE: EVERYTHING can be had for a discount. You just have to ask, sometimes more than once.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the bike?

Helmets:
HJC RPS-10 $239 (PM me if your interested in how to get that)

Jacket:
$535 RS-Taichi GMX Motion. It comes with a knox back protector in it and hard GP shell armour. PM Sportbike track gear about this one. Its the best bang for buck.

Gloves:
$200 for RS-Taichi GP-Evo, One of the best. Go with a Full gauntlet. Best protection you can get.

Boots:
$350 Alpinestars SupertechR I have a bit wider feet than what is considered normal. I can wear these for 8-10 hours and not have sore feet.

Armour:
$60 Knox Knee Gaurds, They have an hard outer GP shell and feel great. Only armour you need if you buy the RS-Taichi jacket ;)

Look for used as well. I would stay away from Alpinestars anymore, personally I think their quality has gone down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only street use most likely, but I'm safety conscious. I really like what I see from RS Taichi, similar jackets from A* are more expensive and don't even come with a decent back protector.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Only street use most likely, but I'm safety conscious. I really like what I see from RS Taichi, similar jackets from A* are more expensive and don't even come with a decent back protector.
If you have the money, go with the RS Taichi. I had the GMX motion and sold it (along with my bike and all my gear) due to financial hardships and what not. Im back on two wheels now but I had to rebuy all my gear and couldnt afford the RS Taichi and I miss it soooo much. You will not find a better jacket... period.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Helmet:
Arai Corsair V Jolly Roger Hayes: $530 back in 09

Jacket:
RS Taichi GMX motion: $530ish

Gloves:
RS Taichi WRX gloves $180
Held Phantom: $200

One Piece leather Suit:
Revit Tarmac suit: $740 with tax (got the hookup):banger:

Boots:
TCXCOMPETIZIONE RS: $279

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Helmets: Icon Alliance SS Tyranny- $200.00
Arai Corsair V- $850+tax +$60 dark shield = $910.00

Jackets: Icon Textile/Mesh- $250.00
Joe Rocket Honda Leather Jacket- $149.99
Icon Overlord Jacket- $350.00

Boots: Sidi Vertigo- $300.00

Gloves:- Random Icon gloves- $70.00
RS-Taichi GP Evo Guantlet Gloves- $220.00

Pants (coming soon): - Alpinestars Track Leather Pants- $399.99

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yea I just got a NXL302 suit from them and before had an A* SP1. Rs-Taichi is a solid brand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Helmet:
Arai Corsair V : $600

Jacket:
RS Taichi GMX motion: $400

Gloves:
RS Taichi GP Evo gloves $180
Alpinestars GP Tech 2011 $200
Alpinestars Gp Tech 2010 $180
Knox Handroid $170
Alpinestars GP Pro 2011 $180

One Piece leather Suit:
Mx-1 suit $700
Tech 1 R $1100

Boots
Supertech R $380
SMX-Plus 2010 $250
Dainese Torque $300
Sidi Crossfire $450

Chest Protector $100
Back Proctector $100

WOW.....close to $5,300

·
Registered
219 Posts
Helmet +-$500, Shoei RF1100
Jacket +- $150, Icon Hooligan mesh
Back/chest protector $150
Gloves $40 tourmaster full gaunlet
Pants +-$150, Joe Rocket
Boots $250, Sidi Cobra

That's my everyday street set up at the moment. My track set up is triple that cost, at least.

Damian

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.