Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious how much motorcycle mechanics make an hour and in a typical year. I'm sure there are some of you guys on here, and I know Meddie is going to school for it. Shops certainly charge enough for work, so I would hope that mechanics make a decent wage.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It depends on the skill and experience of the tech, and the shop that they work for. Usually though, the very best techs get close to a third of the hourly labor rate, and the wages go down from there. The amount of money they get over a year is then based on the amount of work they do.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SO they make pretty good money eh? How much does that translate into on a yearly basis? I better rephrase that, I could do the math...do they work 40 hour weeks? If they do that translates into about a 60,000 a year job. Not bad I would say.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
crotch_rocket_pilot said:
SO they make pretty good money eh? How much does that translate into on a yearly basis? I better rephrase that, I could do the math...do they work 40 hour weeks? If they do that translates into about a 60,000 a year job. Not bad I would say.
well you gotta consider that most likely, you will not have a solid 40 hours of repairs and such each week, so it can fluctuate a bit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think a shop will tell you its hard to keep a good wrench year long. Boat dealers are the same way , as they slow down durning the off season. If a shop can afford to they need to take care of their good mechanics durning the winter and subsidize their income to keep them. Sounds to me Flatout is paying a pretty penny for his mechanics.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
It totally depends on the shop where you work, and the kind of experience/tools you have going in. My brother's been checking around in MN right now, and a few dealerships are hiring $40,000 to $60,000 a year NO EXPERIENCE required...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meddiepie954rr said:
It totally depends on the shop where you work, and the kind of experience/tools you have going in. My brother's been checking around in MN right now, and a few dealerships are hiring $40,000 to $60,000 a year NO EXPERIENCE required...
So does that mean some shops pay salary instead of by the hour?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
My boy finished MMI about a year ago but I believe he only did the Harley Davidson half of the instruction. According to him you can opt to do the sportbike instruction where they cover all the big manufacturers but thats another yr or so. He makes 15/hr at a harley davidson dealer here in the Bay Area. I figured working for HD he would make more but I guess not. I dont know if the sportbike guys get paid more but if FlatOut is paying their Mechanics half of the hourly charge and them being out in the mid-west that is some pretty Damn! good money.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I think you some of you might be misunderstanding what flatout means when he says he pays them 1/2 of $65 per hour. He's talking about flat rate pay, not straight time. That means that there is a set amount of time that doing a certain job pays.

For example, let's say a tire R&R pays 1 hour flat rate. That means you would pay $65 labor for the job and the mechanic would get half of that. Now, if he does the job in less than an hour, he's golden. If it takes him more than an hour, he still only gets paid for an hour. Doesn't matter if it takes an hour and a half, 3 hours, etc. This can be a good thing if you're fast, and a bad thing if you're slow. You also have to do the job right as well as do it fast, because if you screw up, you aren't getting paid to do it again.

Now, what BubbaRRay says is true, there are some jobs that charge an hour to do and the mechanic may be able to do it in half an hour. That doesn't matter. You aren't paying straight time for labor, that's why it's called flat rate. It's a flat rate regardless how long it takes for the mechanic to do. Usually these times are specified by the manufacturer to be fair. You can't charge 4 hours flat rate to do something simple like a basic oil change. And trust me, it goes the other way just as much. There's plenty of jobs that takes an average tech longer to do than what it pays.

·
4,452 Posts
dirtgirl1104 said:
I think you some of you might be misunderstanding what flatout means when he says he pays them 1/2 of $65 per hour. He's talking about flat rate pay, not straight time. That means that there is a set amount of time that doing a certain job pays.

For example, let's say a tire R&R pays 1 hour flat rate. That means you would pay $65 labor for the job and the mechanic would get half of that. Now, if he does the job in less than an hour, he's golden. If it takes him more than an hour, he still only gets paid for an hour. Doesn't matter if it takes an hour and a half, 3 hours, etc. This can be a good thing if you're fast, and a bad thing if you're slow. You also have to do the job right as well as do it fast, because if you screw up, you aren't getting paid to do it again.

Now, what BubbaRRay says is true, there are some jobs that charge an hour to do and the mechanic may be able to do it in half an hour. That doesn't matter. You aren't paying straight time for labor, that's why it's called flat rate. It's a flat rate regardless how long it takes for the mechanic to do. Usually these times are specified by the manufacturer to be fair. You can't charge 4 hours flat rate to do something simple like a basic oil change. And trust me, it goes the other way just as much. There's plenty of jobs that takes an average tech longer to do than what it pays.
Very good explination. I would have just made something up...but then again...I'm an ass hole...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I take it this is the type of job you do more for the love of it than the pay. ;)

·
4,452 Posts
crotch_rocket_pilot said:
So I take it this is the type of job you do more for the love of it than the pay. ;)
Nooooo, not at all, if you love doing it, then you'll probably become very good at doing it, and if you become very good at doing it, the oportunity to make a lot of money will be there for you. I've seen really good mechanics log over 100 hours a week (that they get payed for) but only actually work in the shop around 40 hours a week... Now think about that...if you're making $20-25 an hour working at a shop, and logging 100 hours a week...well, that's not really "bad" money

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I highly doubt 100 hours a WEEK...there are only 144 hours in a full 7 day week, bike shops aren't open on Sunday, only like 5 hours on Saturday's, so then they would be left the 10 hours the shop would be open each day during the week. So you work 50 hours during the week and maybe 5 on Saturday, so probably around 55...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Let me put it to you this way.. our shop always has work. there hardly is ever down time for our mech. And there are a (couple) that are fast and good at what they do, which means they can book alot of hrs. If you want exact hrs I'll find out tuesday when I get into the shop and update. But in the winter time thats when you'll need to be smart with your money. Atleast in our climate area.

Slava

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Meddiepie954rr said:
Very good explination. I would have just made something up...but then again...I'm an ass hole...
Haha, I just hate when people get butthurt b/c it cost them 2 hours labor for something, then they wait there while it's done, then when it only takes an hour and a half to do it, they start crying about how the "stealership" ripped them off. And I don't even work at a shop!

If they understood how it worked, things would be much nicer, that's my only point.

I'll be good now.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Wow, I'm a pocketbike racer now?! When did that happen? I thought you got something cool like "600rr.net Postwhore" after so many worthless posts.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Meddie600RR said:
I highly doubt 100 hours a WEEK...there are only 144 hours in a full 7 day week, bike shops aren't open on Sunday, only like 5 hours on Saturday's, so then they would be left the 10 hours the shop would be open each day during the week. So you work 50 hours during the week and maybe 5 on Saturday, so probably around 55...
What kind of fuzzy math are you doing, 24 x 7 = 168.....?

Are you the brains of the Meddie family? ;)

By the way, thanks for all the info people.

·
4,452 Posts
Meddie600RR said:

Kyle, you're retarded, didn't you read Dirtgirl's post? You can easily log 100 hours a week as a mechanic if you're fast/good at what you do. Lets say someone brings a bike in for some kind of service, lets say Honda says that that service will take you 4 hours to do, so on the service sheet, you write that it will take you 4 hours to do. Lets say you've done this kind of service a million times, and are damn good at it, you get it done in 2 hours, but because Honda says that the job should have taken 4 hours, you get payed for 4 hours of work, and not just the 2 hours it took you to do... GET IT, dumb ass? And I thought you were smart...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts