Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing some of the photoshopped pics in another post it got me to thinking I might have my 04' custom painted this winter sometime. I know nothing about the procedure so I will have to trust some local paint shop to do it. I don't want any elaborate custom graphics or anything, I would like to just change the color scheme around a bit.

Can anyone give me some "rough" estimates on how much it is to have some quality paint work done by a shop?

·
Registered
779 Posts
just call the shop where you plan on taking it and see, then you can call other shops and compare. autobody shops usually bargain too just tell them "so and so is doing it for this much" and they would much rather cut a little of their profit than lose the business.

·
Registered
485 Posts
if i were you i'd get fiberglass bodywork to paint and leave the stock stuff in your garage. stock plastic adds alot to the re-sale value of the bike. and the fiberglass will be alot easier to prep and paint.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad I found this site before I started doing any kind of mods to my bike. For instance, FOX without your tip I would have made the mistake of just having the shop paint the stock bodywork. Thanks for the heads up!!

nastydru,
I had planned on calling a couple places in town when it came time to do this anyway, thanks for the reminder. I like the idea of haggeling them down on prices too!

·
Registered
566 Posts
For what it's worth, my West job cost £1300GBP. A lot of money, but ALL the logos are airbrushed. The only vinyl on my bike is a pair of "74's" on the screen. God bless you, Dai-Chan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Paint Job

What type of things are you planing to change, and what type of quality, base coat, clear coat, or special paint colors.
Ask yourself these questions-
1)How much of the bike is being painted?
2)What kind of design do I want?
3)What is the cost of the paint I want?

Let me know your reply's and I can quess more accurately on a cost factor.

·
Registered
485 Posts
if your using fiberglass, the next question is, is this going to be a track only bike, or do you need cut-outs for the headlights and tail light? from what i gather, this is a street bike. so go with a set of street plastics. my recomendation is sharkskinz: http://www.sharkskinz.com/hondacbr600rr.htm
they have an excellent street setup, they make top quality products. they are a bit pricy though, but if your using custom paint... well you want your bike to look good. and ill-fitting body work (like hot bodies) won't look good.
but there are other manufacturers that make good fitting bodywork too.
cheetah bodies is good stuff, i'm not sure if they have street parts though.
oh, and paint should be about 500$ for good shiny paint with plenty of clear. if you want to go all crazy and get stuff airbrushed, then your talking way more money

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
West,
Great paint, well worth the $!

Fox,
Thanks for the good tips and link, makes it even easier for a novice such as myself if and when I try to get this done.

2winall,
I want some powder coating done. I want most of the silver to be black. Swingarm, forks, shifter, foot brake, etc.

Guy on here by the name of infamous has a yellow RR on here he just finished http://www.600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15072 I want the same layout, but red wherever you see yellow. As far as the cost of the paint....I have no idea yet. I haven't called anyone yet with this idea. And I have no idea how much good paint costs.

I'm still just day dreaming about this paint idea for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The powder coating of parts can be fairly reasonable, usually you get charged by the bulk not for each individual piece. $100.00

Ask the shops you know where they send their items to for powder coating. This way you know its quality work.

A basic red coat and some clear from PPG will run you about $70.00. This I have found is the best defence against the elements.

If you deside to go aftermarket fairings (body panels) then all you need is to simply take it to a talented painter. About $200.00
If you use your stock fairings, you will have to remove all stickers then color sand all the clear, then you can take it to the painter.
This will save you the price of the aftermarket fairings, but requires a lot of work out of you.

I hope you decide to do it, personalizing is a great thing to see.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hope you decide to do it, personalizing is a great thing to see.
I'll second that, go for it.

Also looking thru the forums, there are some current and nearly current stuff on powdercoating, throw in a search, and you'll get stacks more info.

Good luck, and think of the bike as a blank canvass :mrgreen:

·
Registered
172 Posts
when u powdercoated ur rims... was it tough to take off the your wheels?? and did you just leave the tires on?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts