Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how much has everyone who has received a speeding ticket on their bikes had to pay?

I've never received a ticket in a car or on a bike until last night. I was riding my rr home on the highway where apparently the speed limit is 50mph but I've never noticed a posted speed limit. I happened to be cruising along with traffic at around 70-75mph following a van in front of me.

I admit I was going above 50mph but I don't see why the cop pulled me over and not the van in front of me. And get this, when he pulled me over he held up a stop watch and said I was going 90mph! I saw the cop well before I hit the painted line so I looked at my speedometer and I can assure you it never went above 75mph.

Needless to say the ticket was $205.00! Being I've never received a ticket that seems like a lot of $$. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it reduced when I go into the magistrates office? I've never stood before a judge. I'm thinking since he used a stop watch he must have either pressed it late when I hit the first line or stopped it before I hit the second line. Any suggestions would be well appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Stop watch... That is about as accurate as it gets. You wont get out of that. :roll: Get an attorney. A good one will have no trouble getting you off. Sometimes it is well worth the money. I know my insurance goes up big time with tickets.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
BTW around here about $150

·
Registered
726 Posts
There always full of sh**! Take a look at your ticket. . . I'm guessing he checked off "Estimated" on it. So lets get theoretical here for a second. . . the only reason someone would ever check that box is if they were in fact ESTIMATING.

I like you have am awaiting a court date on a $200. Only I got mine turning at an intersection. Well actually I owe the ticket to a friend. He made his turn and took off. Cop came up over a hill clocked him and wrote three of us up at his speed. [email protected]!

Do a little searching on here and you'll find some good ideas. I also heard B&N sells a book or two on how to fight a ticket.

·
Registered
163 Posts
usually the fee is less trouble then the points i thought i didnt get a ticket on the bike yet but i heard u get double trouble. Meaning ur bike and car insurance goes up is that true. My thing is i rather pay the higher fine and have less points

But good luck bro, u should be fine as long as u had that clean record for a couple years the judge should be lenient. Thats what people travel 20 over isnt unsafe its more of a technicality if u wefre goin with traffic

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
got one busted 90 in 65, reduced to 79 and $310 fine in VA. get a lawyer! it'll cost the 200 or more, but it will save ya butt loads in insurance $$'s. with a stopwatch, a good lawyer will get ya off, specially with a clean record. you may have to do traffic school and a probation period, but ya should be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I DONT KNOW HOW IT IS WHERE YOU LIVE BUT TRY THIS.

PLEAD NOT GUILTY YOUR FIRST COURT DATE WHEN YOU COME BACK YOU WILL TALK TO A PROSECUTOR WHO WILL MOST LIKELY WORK OUT A DEAL WITH YOU IF THE COP USED A STOPWATCH THEN **** THAT OBVIOUSLY IT WAS NOT ACCURATE IF YOU ARE SURE YOU WERE NOT GOING THAT FAST DO THAT OR HIRE A LAWYER TO HANDLE IT BUT DONT LET THEM PUT THAT ******** ON YOUR RECORD I HAVE BEATEN OVER 18 TICKETS IN MY LIFE LIKE THIS I SWEAR. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
405 Posts
$125 for 100 in a 55 but i lawyered up and had to fork over 5 bills to lawyer. well worth the 500 tho. other then the 8 hrs of traffic school i have to do this saturday i will have nothing on my record.

my suggestion will be to lawyer up. since the trooper got u using a stopwatch u can fight the citation's validity. most traffic court prosecutors don't wanna go to trial over a common violation.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply's guys. And for not flaming me. Two more questions though. Should I get a lawyer before I go into the magistrates office to setup a court date? And, how many points usually get put on your license for speeding? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is this a small town or a big city?

Small town, you can talk to the judge. If your record is clean then they will ask for the fine to be payed and will not send it to the DMV. (Been there. Done it!)

Big City, you will have to go to court and when it comes time the prosecutor will ask who needs to talk to him. Tell him what happen and then tell him that "you know you were speeding, but not that fast." Then say "you are more than willing to pay the fine, but if he could keep it from going to your record (DMV) that would help out huge." Know this, when you talk to the proecutor, evreything you say can be used in court. So be calm and cool, it will work!(Been there. Done it!)

Although I have never had a ticket while on my bike. I am not sure if that would change the outcome. Once I got caught 94mph in a 45mph in my Toyota truck. (small town) I paid the fine and had to take a driving class because she hooked me up another time before.

GOOD LUCK!

Just for the first visit, do not think you need one. They will just set a later date if you do need one though.

Call the phone number on the ticket and they will tell you how much and how many points.

·
Registered
61 Posts
got a few tickets around here, anywhere between 70 and 210 so far... lol neither of which were my fault... :lol2: :bitchslap: hahaha

·
Registered
405 Posts
black600rr03 said:
Thanks for the reply's guys. And for not flaming me. Two more questions though. Should I get a lawyer before I go into the magistrates office to setup a court date? And, how many points usually get put on your license for speeding? Thanks everyone.
the court date is not already specified on your ticket? that's weird... here they give u a set date which u can change.

get a good lawyer as soon as possible. at your court date, it'll probably take u less then 10 minutes to get in and out assuming your lawyer gets u signed in early which he/she should.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a small town, and on the back of the ticket it just says that I have to either pay it within ten days or pay a visit to the district justice (which I'm doing on friday). Thanks again everyone for the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts