Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '03 600rr which i wrecked and now has a salvage title.
i have completely repaired everything except for the right side engine cover which is only scratched. it was yellow but i repainted everything electron blue pearl.
the wreck caused NO DAMAGE to the forks or frame. just cosmetic damages.

i was hoping to sell it if i could and if there was interest and was wondering what i should put as my selling price.

i was thinking like $5000 or maybe hopefully a little more?

or maybe part out pieces like plastics and then sell the bare bike on ebay on a reserve auction?

any thoughts is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!!

bernie

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I am not sure how the salvage goes in VA. I know some dealers pick up wrecked bikes, repair them and an inspecter comes out and gives it the ok from the state. I do not know what the title reads after inspection. You may be able to get it cleared. 5G sounds OK, but I would not expect more. You can find RRs in the paper for $6500 already with a clear title.

·
Registered
405 Posts
in some states, i believe if u pass inspection u can get back to a clear title. u might want to check if va does that. if not, i'd say u might be able to get upto 5500 retail for it. don't try a wholesaler... they'll probably offer 4200-4500.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say that you could probably get 5000 out of it. I sold my wrecked F4i on ebay and got 3700. It didnt have a salvage title because salvage laws dont apply to bikes in tennessee but all the fairings were rashed, clip-on broke off, foot peg broke off, etc. and I still got a pretty fair amount of money. I would say you could come out with 5000 since you have repaired almost all of the damage.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Damn man, I wish you wouldn't have repaired the damage...could have just kept the insurance check (if that's what you did...?) and I would have bought the bike from you...I'm lookin' for a track-hooptie and that would have been awesome...good luck on the sale

·
Registered
595 Posts
i would never claim a bike to insurance for cosmetic damage. not worth it in the long run...you run the risk of hiking up your rates, and you take a big hit if you keep the bike with a salvage title if you ever decide to sell it. Live and learn. it would have been better to just keep the crash to yourself, fix the bike and save some cash.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In California salvaged 03 RRs are running around 6000-7000 Range. Iv seen more lately for higher around 7500 and such but that is just because it is summer and the prices of bikes shoot sky high durring the riding season. I got my 04 RR salvaged title with 1900 Miles on it for 7000 with taz and liscence from a dealer in Arcadia named Forward Motion. I think you can at least get 6000 for the bike!! good luck man!

·
Registered
812 Posts
In California salvaged 03 RRs are running around 6000-7000 Range. Iv seen more lately for higher around 7500 and such
Salvage for 7500 or brand new? Let me think. NEW! CA is full of flakes.

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
BackStreet said:
In California salvaged 03 RRs are running around 6000-7000 Range. Iv seen more lately for higher around 7500 and such
Salvage for 7500 or brand new? Let me think. NEW! CA is full of flakes.
CA has a year-around riding season, so bikes typically go for more than the east coast. brand new bikes are typically going to be more than $1K more, although $7500 for a salvaged bike does seem high.

i was gonna tell you to shut up and go drive your camaro, jersey boy, and then saw that you actually have one! lol. how's the mullet? :twisted:

·
Registered
595 Posts
in CA i don't think you could get over $6k for a salvaged bike...clear title '03 RRs are going for that price. But then again, some people will buy anything if they want it bad enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah in va, you have to take all your reciepts for repairs to the dmv and get it inspected. then they turn over your salvage "rebuilt" title. i can sell it but have to pay a $100 fee to get a salvage dealer license.
i've seen rebuilt titles and you can't even tell that it says salvage on there anywhere. its REAL small in one of the corners. most people prolly wouldn't even see it. looks identical to "regular" titles.

as far as the ins situation went, i made out pretty good. i didn't even make my first payment and they gave me what my loan balance was. all i had to pay was my deductible and the buyback price. which was 2500 all together. they take that right off the top.
also, progressive doesn't write you the check personally. they have it written out to either the leinholder or the shop doing the work. i definately would have gone that route but couldn't make it happen.

i think prolly in the next few weeks the bike will go up for sale so i can pay off a few bills i have and then wait til prices start coming drastically down on the '04 RRs and buy myself a leftover somewhere here in va. thats how i bought this one anyway.

thanks for the feedback.

bernie

btw, if anyone wants it hit me up!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Depending on the extent of the crash/drop or whatever a slavaged bike can be perfectly fine. Bikes that are mechanically fit but have extensive or moderate cosmetic damage are usually written off as salvaged. Plastics are damn expensive and most salvaged bikes are still in good shape. Unless the frame is tweaked or there is something else mechanically wrong with the bike. Most of these salvaged bikes get new plastics and are being sold at the same price as non salvaged bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts